(Topic ID: 16532)

Negotiating masters, give me your lines. Please?

By The_Gorilla

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FettThreadKiller.png
cash.jpg
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

10 inches

#2 11 years ago

"Cash in face" seems to always work well. If you lay $4k on the table and say this is what you would pay see what happens.

#3 11 years ago

Go look it over. Act like you aren't sure you are convinced that you really want it. Tell him you would be at about $4K on this game, and that you have the cash.

#5 11 years ago

Yeah, I like the idea of laying 40 $100 bills on the table. That is probably going to be the method. I just wanted to see what you all think about using practical stats (boston pinball, pinpedia, etc) or if I am wasting my time trying to explain this to him

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Naturally, he mentioned that he sees them on Ebay for $6k so he feels this is fair.

Hate... Hate....HATE to read this in any Ad. Way too many people use it as a price guide.! I had an local Operator tell me he would have to look the price up on E-bay of a routed machine I was interested in.. I just laughed.
I haven't seen it yet, but I'm also waiting for someone to say they seen one on American Pickers or Pawn Stars that was in way worse condition and it went for this much ? I swear this will be next.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

I just wanted to see what you all think about using practical stats (boston pinball, pinpedia, etc) or if I am wasting my time trying to explain this to him

I don't think its a waste of time. I have noticed that most "sellers" who act like they have no idea know the truth. Most of them do their research and know that listings and sells are not equal. When the topic of "well, on Ebay..." (and you know it will) comes up I look them straight in the eyes and tell them I understand that is what they list for but that is not what they sell for. 9 times out of 10 they look down and mumble something. Good luck and let us know.

Oh, BTW...yeah, she's cute.

#8 11 years ago

If you really want it, what's $500 ? I would take the extra 5 hunskies with me just in case. Tell him to get it up to where it needs to be you have to drop $500 more in it right away and 5k is just a bit too high for that pin. could he see his way to 4k? and then be prepared to meet in the middle.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from BillinIndiana:

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm also waiting for someone to say they seen one on American Pickers or Pawn Stars that was in way worse condition and it went for this much ? I swear this will be next.

Oh you will, I have. Depending on the person I have flatly said, Yeah, but those guys are idiots and its tv not reality. They buy stuff and "think" they know what they will sell it for. Don't get me wrong I like the show and they really get some cool stuff but...

#10 11 years ago

It's fairly easy....

Tell them that prices are higher on eBay because:

- Sellers have to adjust for crazy high "ePay" fees
- They are simply looking for the one person who doesn't do market research and has too much money

but most of all

- THE ONLY REASON you still see it listed on eBay is because it HAS NOT sold for that price (and won't!)

Then direct them to Boston Pinball Pricing guide and illustrate how this is actually from COMPLETED auctions, not just auctions that fail miserably.

#11 11 years ago

Seeing him reference Ebay isn't all bad.

Let him know that those are high listings that don't actually sell. LOTRs that sell on Ebay have an average of around $4K. Now, considering his asking price is for a HUO machine.... it should command more money.

I think you should meet him in the middle @ $4250.00

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from BillinIndiana:

I would illustrate HasselCastle's story from when he was on it.

Long story short those shows are COMPLETELY staged and "set up" from beginning to end. Even the pricing is!

#13 11 years ago

I think your biggest advantage is, he knows you, and you are picking it up. Shipping / ebay is tough to deal with, so make sure you use that to your advantage as well. Be ready to haul it out while you are there. That seems to be the biggest advantage in my opinion.

#14 11 years ago

If I'm selling something, and you just start pulling money out throwing it around, I'm going to laugh.

Just be honest, tell him why you think it's only worth $4,000. My line is usually, "Can you take $4,000? If you can get more I can appreciate that, but that's what I see them selling for" and then maybe an example or two.

Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Yeah, I like the idea of laying 40 $100 bills on the table.

#15 11 years ago

Send me his info and I will take care of it for you

#16 11 years ago

Just talk to him with the truth. Honesty always works for me. Cash is king. Some say that cash does not work on them, I am the same way. Cash does not work because I expect cash face to face and I have not put myself in a place to have to sell for cash.

I did buy a DM last night that is a 9 out of 10 on condition for $1,000 with cash because the guy is going to Vegas next week. I have not seen a better DM.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Send me his info and I will take care of it for you

Hmmmm...this sounds very very suspicious.

Quoted from jalpert:

Just be honest, tell him why you think it's only worth $4,000.

Sometimes the simplest way is best, huh? Thanks...

#18 11 years ago

this page intentionally left almost blank

Post edited by The_Gorilla : double post

#19 11 years ago

I would tell him you think 4K is a fair price. Then let him know it's ok if he wants to hold out for more, and call you if he changes his mind. Then state you will be looking for a pin, and not take too long to decide, because when he says he'll take your offer, you may no longer have 4K.

#20 11 years ago

Add in that he'll also have the peace of mind of knowing a friend has it instead of someone who is going to beat the game to hell with a baseball bat later. People seem to frequently have emotional attachements to their pins.. I sure as hell would if I had an LOTR.

#21 11 years ago

Do a search for completed listings, not the ones still available, you'll see the price hovers around 3800-4300, print it out and show it to him, remind them that these are epay deals and paypal and ebay take their cut, take the lowest priced offer, trim the paypal and ebay fees off, you'll be at about 3500 bucks, and tell him you have that in cash right now. Throw an envelope with 3500 bucks on the glass and tell him to help you load it up. Keep the other 500 handy in case he beats you up on it a little.

-Wes

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

So, from a post on Facebook of all places, I found a HUO LOTR less than 3 miles from me. It is NOT an LE and he is looking for $4500. Naturally, he mentioned that he sees them on Ebay for $6k so he feels this is fair.
I am thinking closer to $4000. What are your best lines to point out the real world vs Ebayworld?
He is also an acquaintance and I went to school with his wife. Meaning, I don't really want to insult him either.
Thanks.

Welcome to my world.

#23 11 years ago

An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it..

Flash the cash. Not many people say no when they can smell the Benjamin's.

#24 11 years ago

The Gorilla: I'd take the 4k in cash, plus extra. The extra is exactly your max price. Anything more, you've gotta walk away. It hurts, but often people call me back quickly! Dealing with eBay and random people, often people are happy with less. I truly think you can get it.

Also, she is hot (the pic above)!

ONE LAST THING, your October event at Toad Valley Golf Course is listed on pinball.org to drum up even more attendance.

-Aaron

#25 11 years ago

You know, on this one sometimes the simple approach works best. Be calm and tell the seller you have $4K in cash to spend on this machine. If that is what you have to spend, ask"can we make a deal". Then shut up and let him do all the talking. He is either going to say yes, no, or he will give a long winded story trying to build value in the machine. Ignore Ebay and other price lists if he gives you a story, just come right back with "I have $4K , does this work?"

Now, if it is a quick NO, then you have to bargain a bit. Make only one more attempt so you do not piss him off, and say "Look, I can come up with another $200 to make this happen" Now you need to assume you have a deal and act as such." $4200 is very fair, when can I come pick this up? "

#26 11 years ago

The fastest way to get this in your door at the price you want.

cash.jpgcash.jpg

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

The fastest way to get this in your door at the price you want. []

Attachments

[jpg] cash.jpg (70.4 KB, 0 downloads) 43 minutes old

The size of the stack of money can help. $4K in $20's is bigger than $100's and could swing the deal for you when you make your offer and show them the $4K.

LTG

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

And, as something COMPLETELY off topic, I love this woman.

She does have that take me home and treat me like a farm animal look.

LTG

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The size of the stack of money can help. $4K in $20's is bigger than $100's and could swing the deal for you when you make your offer and show them the $4K.

Oh I agree here 100% It makes no sense, but it works. Hell it worked on me before.

#30 11 years ago

Magilla:

You should forget about trying to educate him. Never enter into a negotiation you are unwilling to walk out on.

Bring your highest offer with you, see the game, make him the offer and leave with the game or your money. His flexibility will come out when you are out the door. Rational argument rarely does it.

Dan

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Magilla:
You should forget about trying to educate him. Never enter into a negotiation you are unwilling to walk out on.
Bring your highest offer with you, see the game, make him the offer and leave with the game or your money. His flexibility will come out when you are out the door. Rational argument rarely does it.
Dan

+1 Most sensible post I've read in quite a while. BTW gorilla that chick is smokin hot.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Hell it worked on me before.

Ok...I will give you 1500 $1 bills for your shadow.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Ok...I will give you 1500 $1 bills for your Shadow. []

You see, I say no now but if they are put down on a table it would look like a shit ton of cash.

#34 11 years ago

Thanks wizzo. Here is where i am. 4k avg ebay. Aprrox 3700 after fees: Offering 3900. Walking over 4200. Thank you all. Report on friday.....

#35 11 years ago

Hey T_G, did you find any of my golf balls I left there in March? Hold them for me, I'll get them in Oct!!!

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Thanks wizzo. Here is where i am. 4k avg ebay. Aprrox 3700 after fees: Offering 3900. Walking over 4200. Thank you all. Report on friday.....

Good luck!

#37 11 years ago

Oh my, please Bill , dont ask me to hold your balls in a public forum!!!!

#38 11 years ago

Ya I'm not a good negotiator at all. I mean I can throw an offer out, but I can't haggle well...Or make up stuff. I would be too honest to be a car salesman

#39 11 years ago

Humor always helps! Also, I always make an offer, and then say CASH! Then they say CASH? It's funny, but it works. What other type of payment did they think they would get???

#40 11 years ago

Also, remind them that the world will be ending in December, so they would be better off with the cash! Before it's too late!!!

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

You are welcome.

Do yourself a favor and forget about ebay. You do not need to justify your offer to him. Since you really do not know his motivation despite what he says it is, stay away from making it complicated by bringing up EBAY. that will only lead to an argument. If he is using ebay as his guide, it is a sure sign that he does not know what he is doing or is using it for a smokescreen. He has a fantasy; your job is to make him realistic.

Build rapport with the guy by playing some games with him on it. You'll get a feel for him then. Compliment his this and his that. Look around and see what is dear to him and relate something of his to your experience. "Oh, you like mountain climbing. My dog died in Nepal."

Look the game over carefully. He may not know what it needs or how it is supposed to play. Detract value by neutrally commenting that the clock reset, the flippers stick, the popper doesn't work on first go, the inserts are raised, see how dirty the subway is (comment that it hasn't been shopped in a long time, use lingo that if he asks what that means you know what he doesn't know. The more in depth you seem to him, the less he may feel confident in his pricing. Take the glass off only after you have played it with him. Look at the boards for burnt connectors. If you find them, explain why that is a problem, and with anything major you find, assure him that you can take care of the problem and he should be concerned about selling a game to someone who cannot work on pins because it could mean a head ache for him if he sells it to someone else. he willnot hear form you again. Point out the decals if they are torn. Anything that can lower value without evaluating. You want him to think that you are doing him a favor buying it. Of course, you are looking at at least one other and tell him where his game is strong and where it is weak in comparison.

When you tell him your offer, shut your mouth and do not open it again no matter how long the silence is if there is any. The first one who opens their mouth at that point loses. Let him squirm and whine whatever he needs to do. If no, then begin to walk out. Stop halfway and sheepishly ask, "Well, what about...?" Make your bump one third of the difference. So if you are at 4 and he is at 4.5, go to about 4,200. If still no, thank him and reassure him you will buy it at that price but only while you are there. If still no, leave.

If nothing else, you'll gain good experience.

Dan

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from PINBELL:

Humor always helps! Also, I always make an offer, and then say CASH! Then they say CASH? It's funny, but it works. What other type of payment did they think they would get???

That's what they do on Pawn Stars all the time. "cash money", always seems to work for them.

#43 11 years ago

I owned and operated a pawn shop for 10 years, and saying "CASH" always worked!!!

#44 11 years ago

I would find cl adds and the eBay sales summary(if its in your favor) and pinball classified adds or maybe the archive here on pinside. Any add that shows your price is more realistic. Then email links to the pages to him. Give him something other than your word that his price is to high. Then let him think about it till Fri. Let him know you don't just own a pin you are in the pin world. You are a collector with knowledge of the current prices.

#45 11 years ago

Or you could tell him you banged his wife in school and you will release pic's if he Dosent sell at your price. Just an idea.

#46 11 years ago

Or you could tell him you banged his wife in school and you will release pic's if he Dosent sell at your price. Just an idea.

FettThreadKiller.pngFettThreadKiller.png

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Attachments FettThreadKiller.png (768 KB, 0 downloads) 53 minutes old

Wow, just a joke. A funny one at that. Well maybe not funny but def a joke.

#48 11 years ago

Best negotiating line ever..

Just the tip.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

If you really want it, what's $500 ? I would take the extra 5 hunskies with me just in case. Tell him to get it up to where it needs to be you have to drop $500 more in it right away and 5k is just a bit too high for that pin. could he see his way to 4k? and then be prepared to meet in the middle.

I agree with Rommy here. Unless of coures it is just simply pristine then I would buy it for that outright with no complaints. If there is anything wrong I mean even cosmetics the lack of words and looking at said things for a period of time seem to be better when bartering and meeting in the middle.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from the_pin_family:

Wow, just a joke. A funny one at that. Well maybe not funny but def a joke.

Nah, I took it as a joke. I just can't help but use my massive number of gifs when an oppertunity presents itself. I thought mine was funny too!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

€ 7.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/negotiating-masters-give-me-your-lines-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.