(Topic ID: 292426)

Negative recommendations feature removed (Update: back again!)

By robin

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinHigh1
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Isochronic_Frost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Hi Pinside! As things are settling down with the new server migration (I'm still working on the achievements feature), I'm back to working on some of the stuff I was doing before the outage.
    Today, I wanted to give you all a heads up about a feature I have removed. It's not everyday that I remove a feature but in this case it just wasn't working out and after thinking about it for a few months I made the decision to remove it.
    So let me explain.
    On Pinside we have a feedback system which allows for Pinsiders to leave feedback about a sale. When you close a for sale ad successfully, you are asked to enter the name of the Pinsider who bought your game and then they will get sent a link where feedback about the transaction can be left. I call this "ad-related feedback".
    But then folks asked me if they could also vouch for someone without a sale taking place. That's how our (unsolicited) recommendations feature came to be: a way to leave a recommendation about someone. Example: I could tell folks that, say, Pinsider Gizza is a trustworthy seller. And then people would think: "hey, Robin thinks this guy Gizza is great. I trust Robin, so then Gizza must be legit as well!" ~ that's the idea.
    But then at some point, after I got some requests for it, I added the option to also leave a "negative recommendation". Those words are a contradiction in itself, but the idea was that warnings could be placed against bad sellers. Uhm, right. I should have known this would go south, but I always like the idea of our community providing protection against bad sellers and so the feature was added at some point, a few years ago.
    This was the beginning of *a lot* of PMs hitting my inbox. Obviously, most Pinsiders were not too pleased receiving unsolicited negative feedback on their profile pages, sometimes coming from people they claim they didn't even know. Accusations of fraud, jealous competitors and whatnot. Long stories of what the other party did or didn't do. Complete copy-paste's of PM conversations that I was asked to read and then base a decision on. Heck, even some legal threats to Pinside were made. Frankly, all of these cases are way too difficult to judge from where I'm sitting. Who's right? Who's wrong? It takes a lot of time and in the end, one person will not be happy with the outcome.
    ..And so I have removed the option to leave negative recommendations. I also removed all negative recommendations that have been placed thus far. I always hate to remove content, but it was the only option.
    Just to be clear: it IS still possible to leave either positive or negative ad-related feedback (when you're invited to leave it, AFTER a sale). It's also still possible to leave a positive recommendation (unsolicited), although the subject Pinsider will get the option to remove this in case it contains details they don't want disclosed. And of course there's always the forum where you can share your stories of bad transactions
    Some may not agree with this decision and I can understand that. I would love to hear any ideas. Heck we could have an anonymous jury deciding over disputes. I dunno. Anything that doesn't involve me being the judge of failed transactions.

Boo! Negative feedback (not) left!

All in all, a solid choice. Leaving public negative comments on someone’s profile never goes over well, and inadvertently pinside’s forum has become a powerful place to settle disputes that have gone long past any amicable resolution.

If anyone does their due diligence, some research on the forum should serve the same purpose as feedback really.

8 months later
    #38 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinHigh1:

I have a question about the feedback system - recently I've had two great pinsider buy games from me - however when I went to give them positive feedback, I was not allowed to - I could only leave a recommendation. Seemed odd - we had communicated on PinsideMAIL but I guess not the minimum 3 messages (we took it to text messaging shortly thereafter). I'd like to leave positive feedback for buyers....but it seems I cannot. Am I missing something in the new process? Thanks!

Sounds like you could just send a few extra messages to hit the requirement and leave feedback. “This PM is to leave feedback” and an acknowledgement should do the job

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinHigh1:

Nope didn't work...we just exchanged another round of messages. Maybe we should keep going? Maybe it's 3 messages from each party??

That’s what I figured from reading it. 3 messages from each person ensures that a conscious conversation has occurred. At that point, there has definitely been some exchange of information!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Isochronic_Frost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/negative-recommendations-feature-removed?tu=Isochronic_Frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.