(Topic ID: 292426)

Negative recommendations feature removed (Update: back again!)

By robin

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinHigh1
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Update 01/14

With Input from the community, I have made some big changes to the feedback system, in an effort to bring back the ability for buyers to leave negative feedback while also being fair to sellers and avoid abuse of the feedback system.

See post #34 for this.

Original post follows below...

----------

Hi Pinside! As things are settling down with the new server migration (I'm still working on the achievements feature), I'm back to working on some of the stuff I was doing before the outage.

Today, I wanted to give you all a heads up about a feature I have removed. It's not everyday that I remove a feature but in this case it just wasn't working out and after thinking about it for a few months I made the decision to remove it.

So let me explain.

On Pinside we have a feedback system which allows for Pinsiders to leave feedback about a sale. When you close a for sale ad successfully, you are asked to enter the name of the Pinsider who bought your game and then they will get sent a link where feedback about the transaction can be left. I call this "ad-related feedback".

But then folks asked me if they could also vouch for someone without a sale taking place. That's how our (unsolicited) recommendations feature came to be: a way to leave a recommendation about someone. Example: I could tell folks that, say, Pinsider Gizza is a trustworthy seller. And then people would think: "hey, Robin thinks this guy Gizza is great. I trust Robin, so then Gizza must be legit as well!" ~ that's the idea.

But then at some point, after I got some requests for it, I added the option to also leave a "negative recommendation". Those words are a contradiction in itself, but the idea was that warnings could be placed against bad sellers. Uhm, right. I should have known this would go south, but I always like the idea of our community providing protection against bad sellers and so the feature was added at some point, a few years ago.

This was the beginning of *a lot* of PMs hitting my inbox. Obviously, most Pinsiders were not too pleased receiving unsolicited negative feedback on their profile pages, sometimes coming from people they claim they didn't even know. Accusations of fraud, jealous competitors and whatnot. Long stories of what the other party did or didn't do. Complete copy-paste's of PM conversations that I was asked to read and then base a decision on. Heck, even some legal threats to Pinside were made. Frankly, all of these cases are way too difficult to judge from where I'm sitting. Who's right? Who's wrong? It takes a lot of time and in the end, one person will not be happy with the outcome.

..And so I have removed the option to leave negative recommendations. I also removed all negative recommendations that have been placed thus far. I always hate to remove content, but it was the only option.

Just to be clear: it IS still possible to leave either positive or negative ad-related feedback (when you're invited to leave it, AFTER a sale). It's also still possible to leave a positive recommendation (unsolicited), although the subject Pinsider will get the option to remove this in case it contains details they don't want disclosed. And of course there's always the forum where you can share your stories of bad transactions

Some may not agree with this decision and I can understand that. I would love to hear any ideas. Heck we could have an anonymous jury deciding over disputes. I dunno. Anything that doesn't involve me being the judge of failed transactions.

#2 2 years ago

If in doubt about a particular seller or company, a search or starting a new thread goes a long ways. Unless the seller is completely new or unknown, there is probably already something via a Google or Pinside search. I think removing the negative recommendation was a good idea for the reasons you stated.

#3 2 years ago

I'm still having issues with deleting messages in the mail and with finding all posts made by me. Hopefully you can find a fix for these too. Thx for all the work to get us back on again.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Hi Pinside! As things are settling down with the new server migration (I'm still working on the achievements feature), I'm back to working on some of the stuff I was doing before the outage.
    Today, I wanted to give you all a heads up about a feature I have removed. It's not everyday that I remove a feature but in this case it just wasn't working out and after thinking about it for a few months I made the decision to remove it.
    So let me explain.
    On Pinside we have a feedback system which allows for Pinsiders to leave feedback about a sale. When you close a for sale ad successfully, you are asked to enter the name of the Pinsider who bought your game and then they will get sent a link where feedback about the transaction can be left. I call this "ad-related feedback".
    But then folks asked me if they could also vouch for someone without a sale taking place. That's how our (unsolicited) recommendations feature came to be: a way to leave a recommendation about someone. Example: I could tell folks that, say, Pinsider Gizza is a trustworthy seller. And then people would think: "hey, Robin thinks this guy Gizza is great. I trust Robin, so then Gizza must be legit as well!" ~ that's the idea.
    But then at some point, after I got some requests for it, I added the option to also leave a "negative recommendation". Those words are a contradiction in itself, but the idea was that warnings could be placed against bad sellers. Uhm, right. I should have known this would go south, but I always like the idea of our community providing protection against bad sellers and so the feature was added at some point, a few years ago.
    This was the beginning of *a lot* of PMs hitting my inbox. Obviously, most Pinsiders were not too pleased receiving unsolicited negative feedback on their profile pages, sometimes coming from people they claim they didn't even know. Accusations of fraud, jealous competitors and whatnot. Long stories of what the other party did or didn't do. Complete copy-paste's of PM conversations that I was asked to read and then base a decision on. Heck, even some legal threats to Pinside were made. Frankly, all of these cases are way too difficult to judge from where I'm sitting. Who's right? Who's wrong? It takes a lot of time and in the end, one person will not be happy with the outcome.
    ..And so I have removed the option to leave negative recommendations. I also removed all negative recommendations that have been placed thus far. I always hate to remove content, but it was the only option.
    Just to be clear: it IS still possible to leave either positive or negative ad-related feedback (when you're invited to leave it, AFTER a sale). It's also still possible to leave a positive recommendation (unsolicited), although the subject Pinsider will get the option to remove this in case it contains details they don't want disclosed. And of course there's always the forum where you can share your stories of bad transactions
    Some may not agree with this decision and I can understand that. I would love to hear any ideas. Heck we could have an anonymous jury deciding over disputes. I dunno. Anything that doesn't involve me being the judge of failed transactions.

Boo! Negative feedback (not) left!

All in all, a solid choice. Leaving public negative comments on someone’s profile never goes over well, and inadvertently pinside’s forum has become a powerful place to settle disputes that have gone long past any amicable resolution.

If anyone does their due diligence, some research on the forum should serve the same purpose as feedback really.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Boo! Negative feedback (not) left!
    All in all, a solid choice. Leaving public negative comments on someone’s profile never goes over well, and inadvertently pinside’s forum has become a powerful place to settle disputes that have gone long past any amicable resolution.
    If anyone does their due diligence, some research on the forum should serve the same purpose as feedback really.

I don't think that leaving negative feedback is a bad thing. It sounds like leaving unsolicited negative feedback that doesn't have a transaction associated with it is what's happening and being abused. Sounds like a friend of a friend piling on some dude...or something like that, like what happens on Yelp when a news story comes up with a business. People never having associated with the business leave bad reviews, which Yelp has mitigated to an extent.

#6 2 years ago

IMO this is a bad call and makes Pinside feedback no longer a source of establishing trustworthiness.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

IMO this is a bad call and makes Pinside feedback no longer a source of establishing trustworthiness.

Agreed, but I understand the moderation hassles. But only-positive feedback is misleading since no other internet 'reputation' system works like that. It could be renamed 'solicited positive feedback' but I'd suggest removing the 'feedback' entirely since it's not accurate.

#8 2 years ago

So when somebody does something negative during a sale guess what will happen now? More threads started full of drama and negativity.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

You and I rarely agree on stuff but I am 100% with you on this.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

So when somebody does something negative during a sale guess what will happen now? More threads started full of drama and negativity.

exactly

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

Agreed, but I understand the moderation hassles. But only-positive feedback is misleading since no other internet 'reputation' system works like that. It could be renamed 'solicited positive feedback' but I'd suggest removing the 'feedback' entirely since it's not accurate.

I see that it is probably a hassle but they are making money on this site. We all donate money to Pinside, so we have a forum to buy and sell in a safe manner. I use the feedback a lot when buying games.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

Agreed, but I understand the moderation hassles.

I am sympathetic to that point too, it puts Robin in the role of judge/jury.

IMO the best solution is to allow pos/neg feedback and be 100% hands off about it.
    Fake feedback will become apparent through posting patterns over time.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

You should read Robin's post again, unless I'm misunderstanding it. He didn't remove negative feedback altogether, only the feature that any Joe Schmo could leave negative feedback to any Billy Bob, without a transaction behind it. Again...unless I'm misunderstanding it.

Example, even though you or I have never conducted a transaction, I could still leave you negative feedback because I didn't like your username.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

I am sympathetic to that point too, it puts Robin in the role of judge/jury.
    IMO the best solution is to allow pos/neg feedback and be 100% hands off about it.
    Fake feedback will become apparent through posting patterns over time.

Quoted from FatPanda:

You should read Robin's post again, unless I'm misunderstanding it. He didn't remove negative feedback altogether, only the feature that any Joe Schmo could leave negative feedback to any Billy Bob, without a transaction behind it. Again...unless I'm misunderstanding it.
    Example, even though you or I have never conducted a transaction, I could still leave you negative feedback because I didn't like your username.

He removed all prior negative feedback. He even removed the prior negative feedback that he spent the time to arbitrate.

And besides, how much 'solicited negative feedback' would ever even exist???

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Example, even though you or I have never conducted a transaction, I could still leave you negative feedback because I didn't like your avatar picture.

That's the way I read it also.

Negative feedback can still be given but only if it involves an actual transaction.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

That's the way I read it also.
    Negative feedback can still be given but only if it involves an actual transaction.

It apparently must be 'solicited'.... Which will never happen.

Most bad actors sell on CL and Facebook too. I care about person's reputation, not where the transaction took place.

We should just remove it or rename it.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

He said he removed ALL past negative feedback.

#18 2 years ago

Tough situation to manage I imagine. It would be good to see it in some form though. Many of the instances (deals gone bad, seller/buyer dishonesty, etc) where negative feedback is merited, there will likely not be a final transaction in the system allowing for it.

#19 2 years ago

Too bad a "negative rec" could not be provided through a specific sale here on Pinside.

For example, I go to leave negative feedback on someone. For it to go through, I'd have to provide the page for the specific machine/mod/item in question. Once that link is provided, no one else is allowed to use that link and the feedback should be sound.

Then again, for mods where 10-1000 are being made, something else would have to be used - maybe a payment system within Pinside verifying the purchase occurred for the mod....?

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

He said he removed ALL past negative feedback.

Only unsolicited negative "recommendations" were removed.

This concerned 105 cases where a negative recommendation was posted on someones profile.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Only unsolicited negative "recommendations" were removed.

Is there such a thing as a solicited negative recommendation?

"Hey, I just ripped you off, can you make sure and post about it on Pinside? Thanks sucker!"

EDIT: I learned reading comprehension and see that we can still leave negative feedback when it's associated with a pinside transaction. That makes a little more sense to me, though I still feel we need a way as a community to warn each other of bad traders. I'm not sure what the best mechanism for that is though.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Agree! Presale antics shouldn’t always require a forum topic. That’s what user feedback should document.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

..And so I have removed the option to leave negative recommendations.

You also removed the ability to leave neutral feedback unless a sale is competed. I’m surprised more people aren’t commenting on this topic. There are many examples when questionable seller or buyer practices cause a sale to go south before a transaction is completed. We need the ability to document these questionable practices. Why should I have to dig through forum topics to spot a bad actor? Let Pinside be selected policing.
    robin , at least give the option to leave pre-sale neutral feedback (or failed sale, like in my recent attempted 9Ball purchase).

#25 2 years ago

ridiculous.

#26 2 years ago

This reminds me when ebay introduced no negative feedback on buyers. Only allowed positive fluffy feedback.
    Ive worked hard here on pinside to build a positive profile with 25 feedback.
    This just demeaned all that hard work.
    I wont bother to ask anymore after a sale.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Yep, in the future I’ll just start a <redacted> thread. It’s not a problem for me.

#28 2 years ago

I mean, how hard is it for a seller to have enough consideration to say “hey, I know you PM’ed me a full-price offer less than an hour after I posted it, but:

a) It already sold (fine, no problem!)
    b) My wife said I can’t sell it (this is my absolute favorite)
    c) I’ve seen your Pinside posts and I hate you
    d) I decided to keep it.

All of these are fine. Leaving someone hanging for more than a day, though, is not acceptable.

#29 2 years ago

Since I know the full story about Reznnate and his horrible purchase issue, I have a tough time with this. He placed the feedback on here to help others as a warning.

I also understand Robin being caught in the middle on this. Like The Who once said, "It's a legal matter, baby!"

I now feel that Pinside will get even nastier for threads than it has been in the past, and that's a tough thing to do.

I would prefer seeing negative feedback on a large purchase such as a machine to make up my own mind. Then it's on me if I proceed with a transaction.

Small parts? Losing $5 here and there? Sorry Charlie. Getting ripped off for a large amount when someone has screwed others, no thank you.

3 months later
    #30 2 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

So let me explain.
    //<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"10f986584e9024b8ed2e8bb43711be0e370e6ac7-1628014266-1800"};
    //]]>

I just got left feedback that said positive, but the guy accused me of not making a trade with him. First off I never agreed to make the trade with him and then ended up in the hospital. Little to me knowing this guy had called my phone over 20 times. After being released from the hospital I see that he wrote feedback saying I agreed to make a trade with him and that was never the case. This is BS and I've always had a 100% feedback. I want to report this

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mrtattooz:

I just got left feedback that said positive, but the guy accused me of not making a trade with him. First off I never agreed to make the trade with him and then ended up in the hospital. Little to me knowing this guy had called my phone over 20 times. After being released from the hospital I see that he wrote feedback saying I agreed to make a trade with him and that was never the case. This is BS and I've always had a 100% feedback. I want to report this

Name the names!

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Name the names!

It's in his profile if you really want to know

at least he still got a positive feedback for it?

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

It's in his profile if you really want to know

oh um...duhhhh

5 months later
    #34 2 years ago

Update 01/14

With Input from the community, I have made some big changes to the feedback system, in an effort to bring back the ability for buyers to leave negative feedback while also being fair to sellers and avoid abuse of the feedback system.

So how does the updated system work?

You can once again leave two kinds of feedback about a Pinsider: Recommendations and Marketplace-related feedback.

Recommendations are unsollicited reviews about someone. As the name implies, they can only be positive and are meant to tell Pinside that you vouch for someone. Recommendations can be placed on your profile by anyone (well, they have to be verified Pinsiders) but they can be deleted by you if you don't like it.

Feedback can only be placed on your profile if you have been in touch with someone (via PinsideMail) about a Marketplace ad you're running. The system will do some checks to establish eligibility to write feedback about someone. Feedback cannot be deleted by you, but you are welcome to respond to it to rebuke or give context.

When is someone eligible to leave feedback on another Pinsiders profile page?

- You have to be a verified Pinsider.
    - You need to have contacted them via PinsideMail about a Marketplace ad (using the 'contact seller' button on that ad).
    - The seller Pinsider must have sent back at least 3 messages in that PinsideMail thread. I might increase this number, not sure yet if 3 is enough.
    - The ad must be less than 12 weeks old.

When can a recommendation/feedback be deleted?

- The author of a recommendation can delete their recommendation at any time.
    - The author of marketplace-related feedback can delete that feedback at any time, even if the other party responded to it.
    - The author of a recommendation or feedback can only edit their text as long as the receiver has not responded to it.

- The receiver of a recommendation can delete a recommendation from their profile page at any time.
    - The receiver of marketplace-related feedback can not delete feedback from their profile page, but they can respond to it.

Obviously the weakest link in this system is the way the system determines eligibility to be allowed to write feedback. I'm open for suggestions to improve this!

And, as always, this is how it's currently set up. Subject to change, based on how well it runs. I hope this will will be a good balance where the feedback and recommendations system is used as intended without the headaches the previous implementation would give me.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Update 01/14
    So how does the updated system work?
    You can once again leave two kinds of feedback about a Pinsider: Recommendations and Marketplace-related feedback.
    Recommendations are unsollicited reviews about someone. As the name implies, they can only be positive and are meant to tell Pinside that you vouch for someone. Recommendations can be placed on your profile by anyone (well, they have to be verified Pinsiders) but they can be deleted by you if you don't like it.
    Feedback can only be placed on your profile if you have been in touch with someone (via PinsideMail) about a Marketplace ad you're running. The system will do some checks to establish eligibility to write feedback about someone. Feedback cannot be deleted by you, but you are welcome to respond to it to rebuke or give context.
    When is someone eligible to leave feedback on another Pinsiders profile page?
    - You have to be a verified Pinsider.
    - You need to have contacted them via PinsideMail about a Marketplace ad (using the 'contact seller' button on that ad).
    - The seller Pinsider must have sent back at least 3 messages in that PinsideMail thread. I might increase this number, not sure yet if 3 is enough.
    - The ad must be less than 12 weeks old.
    When can a recommendation/feedback be deleted?
    - The author of a recommendation can delete their recommendation at any time.
    - The author of marketplace-related feedback can delete that feedback at any time, even if the other party responded to it.
    - The author of a recommendation or feedback can only edit their text as long as the receiver has not responded to it.
    - The receiver of a recommendation can delete a recommendation from their profile page at any time.
    - The receiver of marketplace-related feedback can not delete feedback from their profile page, but they can respond to it.
    Obviously the weakest link in this system is the way the system determines eligibility to be allowed to write feedback. I'm open for suggestions to improve this!
    And, as always, this is how it's currently set up. Subject to change, based on how well it runs. I hope this will will be a good balance where the feedback and recommendations system is used as intended without the headaches the previous implementation would give me.

I have a question about the feedback system - recently I've had two great pinsider buy games from me - however when I went to give them positive feedback, I was not allowed to - I could only leave a recommendation. Seemed odd - we had communicated on PinsideMAIL but I guess not the minimum 3 messages (we took it to text messaging shortly thereafter). I'd like to leave positive feedback for buyers....but it seems I cannot. Am I missing something in the new process? Thanks!

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Update 01/14
    With Input from the community, I have made some big changes to the feedback system, in an effort to bring back the ability for buyers to leave negative feedback

If only ALL pinsiders were as honest and thoughtful as Robin....
    When someone accrues negative feedback, it's not the end of the world and their account is deleted. They did something that caused a negative experience or disagreement. And they can respond to it. This is standard practice in ecommerce and it's a good thing for transparency. Stern and JJP would have 1000 negative comments but we still buy from them. I appreciate the effort but I can't see how these new rules will help identify the best of us from the worst of us (that haven't been banned yet).

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinHigh1:

I have a question about the feedback system - recently I've had two great pinsider buy games from me - however when I went to give them positive feedback, I was not allowed to - I could only leave a recommendation. Seemed odd - we had communicated on PinsideMAIL but I guess not the minimum 3 messages (we took it to text messaging shortly thereafter). I'd like to leave positive feedback for buyers....but it seems I cannot. Am I missing something in the new process? Thanks!

I had a thought on how to improve since the current system seems to only allow sellers to leave buyers feedback if they've exchanged at least 3 emails via Pinside. Even if I request and receive feedback from the buyer.

Why not make it such that if someone leaves you feedback, you can also leave them feedback. Regardless of how many emails you've exchanged ...

...or just go back to the old system...which seemed to work fine (with maybe a few exceptions...it seems like the attempts at a new system are to cater to the exception not the rule).

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinHigh1:

Sounds like you could just send a few extra messages to hit the requirement and leave feedback. “This PM is to leave feedback” and an acknowledgement should do the job

#39 2 years ago

Sounds like you could just send a few extra messages to hit the requirement and leave feedback. “This PM is to leave feedback” and an acknowledgement should do the job

Fair enough, as a workaround. I meant to point out a weakness in the current system and suggest improvement. As requested.

#40 2 years ago

Nope didn't work...we just exchanged another round of messages. Maybe we should keep going? Maybe it's 3 messages from each party??

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinHigh1:

I always thought that as a seller you start by inviting the buyer to leave you feedback when you close the ad. Then, you can reply to their feedback and give them feedback lol.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from Completist:

I always thought that as a seller you start bu inviting the buyer to leave you feedback when you close the ad. Then, you can reply to their feedback and give them feedback lol.

That's how it used to be and is the logical way! It's changed now.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinHigh1:

That's how it used to be and is the logical way! It's changed now.

Oh ok. I thought Robin was bringing the neg feedback part back with new conditions, like the pms from market place ad qualifier. Which i can do today but only receive positive rating. I assumed now i could receive negative feedback too provided we pm’d a few times first etc.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinHigh1:

Nope didn't work...we just exchanged another round of messages. Maybe we should keep going? Maybe it's 3 messages from each party??

That’s what I figured from reading it. 3 messages from each person ensures that a conscious conversation has occurred. At that point, there has definitely been some exchange of information!

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from Completist:

Oh ok. I thought Robyn was bringing the neg feedback part back with new conditions, like the pms from market place ad qualifier. Which i can do today but only receive positive rating. I assumed now i could receive negative feedback too provided we pm’d a few times first etc.

Yep that's all true. But I as a seller for some reason can't leave feedback for the buyer. Even though they left me feedback. That's the part I think needs to be fixed up.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinHigh1:

Yep that's all true. But I as a seller for some reason can't leave feedback for the buyer. Even though they left me feedback. That's the part I think needs to be fixed up.

I get what yr saying now. Edited my post above lol.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from Completist:

I get what yr saying now. Edited my post above lol.

Lol...I second your vote that POMC is (NOT) shady!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/negative-recommendations-feature-removed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.