Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Tyamry
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCF2945 (resized).JPG
DSCF2944 (resized).JPG
DSCF2894 (resized).JPG
sportsmanfrontcasting (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bronco-jon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

What are the chances of me finding any of the outer part of the leg brackets like these for a 1934-1937 O.D. Jennings pinball machine?
It is a "Sportsman" but other titles made by Jennings will work too, like "Flying Turf", "Improved Sportsman", Kentucky Derby Winner", "Skill Shot" and probably others.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sportsmanfrontcasting (resized).jpg

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

On Pinside? It's highly unlikely but hell, it's certainly possible.

Do you know where else would be a good place to look?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Those are cool.
Ill keep my eyes out
--Jeff

I sure do wish I lived in Austin Texas because there is a complete Jennings Sportsman for sale in San Antonio

#7 3 years ago

I have done a search on "Pre-War Pinball Group" and it does not exist, however that domain name is for sale.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Contact znet on here. He's a friend and work colleague of mine, and a huge pre-war and wood rail collector. If he can't direct you somewhere or at least give you some information, I would be surprised. Those are rare pieces, so good luck.

Thanks Colsond3s, I sent him a PM.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I'd try calling the Lone Star Pinball Museum. http://www.lspinball.com/musuem1.html
I don't see anything from O.D. Jennings on their list but he may have some parts for it.

Thank you YeOldPinPlayer, I sent them an email.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Did you try the link I provided?

Yes, it brings up a web site trying to sell that domain name.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Are those castings steel or hardened aluminum?
A custom casting shop will replicate those for you:
http://www.fwaf.com/custom-aluminum-sand-castings.html
There are quite a few others, maybe even find a shenzen one or talk to homepin and see if they know of a good factory.

Yes they are hardened aluminum casting. And that link you provided looks like someone who could make those. I sent them an email with a photo of what I need.....I am afraid of what something like this will cost to have made, but I will soon find out. Thank you Pinballenreno

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

I have owned three of these games and a friend has had two. All but one of those were missing the outer castings. There is definitely a market for these if re-made. Quite a few of this game and it's sister games still around.

I have seen some web links with you and you pinball collection you have or had, and that's an amazing pinball collection you have there.
I sure do wish you still had your Bally "Midget Racer" also. I am having Bresto reproduce my back glass but he is at a stand still on it until we can come up with a good picture of the back side of the back glass. there are some silhouette images of race cars on the back that are missing from my original glass and he needs a pic of one with those on it so he can proceed with the project.
Do you know who has a Midget Racer and would be willing to help out with a pic of the glass back side?

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

I am currently casting aluminum parts for a 32 king pin with a local foundry - reasonably affordable
I was lucky enough to be lent a sim donor marquee
You would be best to have someone lend you or if you at least have one leg set originals for them to cast from

I would have to be lucky enough to find someone with one to loan out because I don't have one to copy.
I'm sure it's a pretty slim chance of someone willing to do that for someone they don't know.

I want to thank everyone for trying to help me out here!

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I imagine there is someone here to get you a loaner if you are having them made.
A lot of collectors will want a spare set.

I am waiting on a reply back from the fabricating company you told me about. I'll have to see what they say and go from there.
Thanks Again!

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

when you said buckles and legs, I thought you were talking about this.

Remember CaptainNeo, I'm gonna have to pay for the legs and buckles I am looking for.
...I only wish I needed legs and buckles like those because they are not hard to find and come a dime a dozen.

1 week later
#31 3 years ago

Bump

#32 3 years ago

I would settle for just one bracket.

......OR.....If you would accept a deposit for a loaner so I could have some made?

1 week later
#33 3 years ago

This is harder than finding antique car parts.....Somebody?

I found a local foundry, just need one to have sand cast mold made

#35 3 years ago

Thanks for the bump dasvis, I got a VERY reasonable quote from a local sand casting foundry about a mile from me.
All I need to do is come up with at least one. The guy said, to have them made the 3-D printing method would be very expensive, but if he had an original (or one someone already had repro'ed) then he could fix me right up at a very reasonable price.

The sad thing about it is that somewhere somebody has an old Sportsman laying around that needs some brackets too and probably has at least one good one on it.

I don't want to use the word "Please" here, because another Pinsider says I am begging for using the word "please" in my posts/threads.
...and also says Pinside is not the place for me to be looking for antique/vintage pinball parts.

#38 3 years ago

That would be so Awesome Dennis! I have seen some of your collection before and it is awesome too!

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Such a cool machine, I for one want to see it whole.
Jennings really made some nice products.

Thanks dasvis, besides the missing brackets this machine is in amazing condition. and I have it fully functioning also. it still operates off batteries.
I found modern battery replacements for it (same shape and size) and found some old school battery labels to put on the modern batteries to give it that original type battery look.

1 week later
#40 3 years ago

Lookie what someone sent me! Fixin to head up the casting shop with it to get new ones made.
...Anyone who went to Chicagoland probably ran across Billy Wellers spot who had all kinds of cool old stuff there besides his really nice coin-op machines he restores.
there are great people in this hobby.
I want to thank everyone that helped look into finding these for me.
I'm not going to close this thread just yet in case someone runs across it and has some they have no use for. Who wouldn't want a spear set of them?

DSCF2894 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#42 2 years ago

Just got them back from the casting shop. Since one of my inner brackets had a crack and ended up breaking off one of the ears, I had them make another one of those too.
The one I borrowed for a mold was a little shorter than my inner brackets but I let the guy talk me into letting him lengthen them to match my brackets.
I think they turned out just fine.
Mission Accomplished!!

DSCF2944 (resized).JPG

DSCF2945 (resized).JPG

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Oh yes! I would like to purchase some. Ate they avail?
Jeff

Not unless he made some extra ones and didn't tell me about it.
Billy Weller from Alabama loaned me one of his brackets so I could have these made and I already sent his back to him.
there must be a little difference is some of them because I had to have the new one extended a little to match my inner brackets.
You might try calling the casting company that made them and see what he says.
It's: Transtate Casting, Inc. 405-232-3936 his name is Jeff Carter

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Very nice!
What did that cost to have done?

I don't know what something like this normally cost to have done so I don't know if I paid to much or what.
it started off at $300 quote, and ended up being 400 because I wanted them to clean then up and polish them.
that's for all five pieces.
Did I pay to much?

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

Those look awesome !! A lot sharper than some castings I just got done - did they grind / polish them for you?

Yes, for another 100 they cleaned them up and polished.
Was 400 too much for this?

#49 2 years ago

If someone knew I was willing to pay that much, they may of stepped up and had a set to sell me????

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from bronco-jon:

I don't know what something like this normally cost to have done so I don't know if I paid to much or what.
it started off at $300 quote, and ended up being 400 because I wanted them to clean then up and polish them.
that's for all five pieces.
Did I pay to much?

Edited: .....I take that back on the starting quote. I sent them a pic of what I needed and they quoted me $200 over the phone and it went up to 300 when he actually saw them and the other bracket I wanted done. that didn't include grinding and polishing

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

Thanks for the info – in my opinion for as nice as they turned out I don't think that you paid too much at all – I am currently getting a bunch of pieces cleaned up that I had cast as well – I will update more about my process and costs as I continue but yours are great and you should be very happy to have them – good job !

Yes, I am very happy with them and to have found the company so close to where I live.
He was a very nice gentleman and even let me come into his shop and watch the process in works.....(not on my pieces though)
....please do update on you project. I'd like to see that.

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

You did very well, if you only asked for 5...$80 a piece, mold, cast, trimmed, polished.
Had you asked for 50 pieces to start, or 100, the cost would have dropped dramatically.
I think you are lucky to find him!
If you do have a mold fee, you should be entitled to take the mold home, or ask for a volume quote,
it you have a demand for these,

I thought about asking if anyone else was needing these brackets too but I had no ideal what I was going to be getting back.
I guess I should have asked about a bulk deal.
There was no mold fee, just a set price he quoted me on what I told him I wanted.....for all I know, he now has a mold for these, but I don't know.

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

They were likely made with a one off sand mould.
Probably about $10 each for 20pcs in Shenzhen (in cast aluminium).

Is there a difference between cast aluminum and 6061 aluminum alloy?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 44.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Forever
$ 445.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 15.00
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
€ 279.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 43.00
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bronco-jon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside