You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF2945 (resized).JPG
DSCF2944 (resized).JPG
DSCF2894 (resized).JPG
sportsmanfrontcasting (resized).jpg
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

What are the chances of me finding any of the outer part of the leg brackets like these for a 1934-1937 O.D. Jennings pinball machine?
It is a "Sportsman" but other titles made by Jennings will work too, like "Flying Turf", "Improved Sportsman", Kentucky Derby Winner", "Skill Shot" and probably others.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sportsmanfrontcasting (resized).jpgsportsmanfrontcasting (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

On Pinside? It's highly unlikely but hell, it's certainly possible.

#3 7 years ago

Those are cool.

Ill keep my eyes out

--Jeff

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

On Pinside? It's highly unlikely but hell, it's certainly possible.

Do you know where else would be a good place to look?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Those are cool.
Ill keep my eyes out
--Jeff

I sure do wish I lived in Austin Texas because there is a complete Jennings Sportsman for sale in San Antonio

#6 7 years ago

I'd try the pre-war pinball yahoo group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/prewarpinball/info

#7 7 years ago

I have done a search on "Pre-War Pinball Group" and it does not exist, however that domain name is for sale.

#8 7 years ago

Contact znet on here. He's a friend and work colleague of mine, and a huge pre-war and wood rail collector. If he can't direct you somewhere or at least give you some information, I would be surprised. Those are rare pieces, so good luck.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from bronco-jon:

Do you know where else would be a good place to look?

I'd try calling the Lone Star Pinball Museum. http://www.lspinball.com/musuem1.html
I don't see anything from O.D. Jennings on their list but he may have some parts for it.

#10 7 years ago

Are those castings steel or hardened aluminum?

A custom casting shop will replicate those for you:

http://www.fwaf.com/custom-aluminum-sand-castings.html

There are quite a few others, maybe even find a shenzen one or talk to homepin and see if they know of a good factory.

#11 7 years ago

I have owned three of these games and a friend has had two. All but one of those were missing the outer castings. There is definitely a market for these if re-made. Quite a few of this game and it's sister games still around.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Contact znet on here. He's a friend and work colleague of mine, and a huge pre-war and wood rail collector. If he can't direct you somewhere or at least give you some information, I would be surprised. Those are rare pieces, so good luck.

Thanks Colsond3s, I sent him a PM.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from bronco-jon:

I have done a search on "Pre-War Pinball Group" and it does not exist, however that domain name is for sale.

Did you try the link I provided?

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I'd try calling the Lone Star Pinball Museum. http://www.lspinball.com/musuem1.html
I don't see anything from O.D. Jennings on their list but he may have some parts for it.

Thank you YeOldPinPlayer, I sent them an email.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Did you try the link I provided?

Yes, it brings up a web site trying to sell that domain name.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Are those castings steel or hardened aluminum?
A custom casting shop will replicate those for you:
http://www.fwaf.com/custom-aluminum-sand-castings.html
There are quite a few others, maybe even find a shenzen one or talk to homepin and see if they know of a good factory.

Yes they are hardened aluminum casting. And that link you provided looks like someone who could make those. I sent them an email with a photo of what I need.....I am afraid of what something like this will cost to have made, but I will soon find out. Thank you Pinballenreno

#17 7 years ago

I am currently casting aluminum parts for a 32 king pin with a local foundry - reasonably affordable

I was lucky enough to be lent a sim donor marquee

You would be best to have someone lend you or if you at least have one leg set originals for them to cast from

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

I have owned three of these games and a friend has had two. All but one of those were missing the outer castings. There is definitely a market for these if re-made. Quite a few of this game and it's sister games still around.

I have seen some web links with you and you pinball collection you have or had, and that's an amazing pinball collection you have there.
I sure do wish you still had your Bally "Midget Racer" also. I am having Bresto reproduce my back glass but he is at a stand still on it until we can come up with a good picture of the back side of the back glass. there are some silhouette images of race cars on the back that are missing from my original glass and he needs a pic of one with those on it so he can proceed with the project.
Do you know who has a Midget Racer and would be willing to help out with a pic of the glass back side?

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

I am currently casting aluminum parts for a 32 king pin with a local foundry - reasonably affordable
I was lucky enough to be lent a sim donor marquee
You would be best to have someone lend you or if you at least have one leg set originals for them to cast from

I would have to be lucky enough to find someone with one to loan out because I don't have one to copy.
I'm sure it's a pretty slim chance of someone willing to do that for someone they don't know.

I want to thank everyone for trying to help me out here!

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from bronco-jon:

I would have to be lucky enough to find someone with one to loan out because I don't have one to copy.
I'm sure it's a pretty slim chance of someone willing to do that for someone they don't know.
I want to thank everyone for trying to help me out here!

I imagine there is someone here to get you a loaner if you are having them made.
A lot of collectors will want a spare set.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I imagine there is someone here to get you a loaner if you are having them made.
A lot of collectors will want a spare set.

I am waiting on a reply back from the fabricating company you told me about. I'll have to see what they say and go from there.
Thanks Again!

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from bronco-jon:

I have seen some web links with you and you pinball collection you have or had, and that's an amazing pinball collection you have there.
I sure do wish you still had your Bally "Midget Racer" also. I am having Bresto reproduce my back glass but he is at a stand still on it until we can come up with a good picture of the back side of the back glass. there are some silhouette images of race cars on the back that are missing from my original glass and he needs a pic of one with those on it so he can proceed with the project.
Do you know who has a Midget Racer and would be willing to help out with a pic of the glass back side?

Thanks for the kind words. I think we may have talked before about the Midget Racer. I do not have the name or address of the buyer. Sorry. Good luck with your search.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from bronco-jon:

Yes, it brings up a web site trying to sell that domain name.

The group is apparently member's-only and is not listed in the yahoo directory so I guess that explains why my link leads nowhere. I'm not sure if the group is still active. I couldn't search the archive, but I did attempt to post to the group with your needs. We'll see if the message goes through...

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

I did attempt to post to the group with your needs.

I'm still getting my digest emails with new posts - I'm fairly certain it's active, though I haven't looked in a week or two...

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

I'm not sure if the group is still active.

Its active in the sense that it exists.

not much activity tho

--Jeff

#26 7 years ago

Shapeways can 3D print aluminum (and several other metals). If you can model it you can have them produce them one-at-a-time, and list the end product in a shapeways store so people who want them can buy directly when they need it. If you set it up with no profit margin, they don't charge any fees for the store listing... it just sits there forever until somebody orders. What's great about this solution is nobody has to front money for an inventory that could take a very long time to sell/distribute.

If you want to see an example of a shapeways store search for kahrparts on their site to find mine. I have some pics up there of Firepower outlanes viewed through a microscope so you can see the quality of their prints (I think the microscope shot is of their "metallic plastic" if I remember correctly)

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for Williams system 3-7 sound board potentiometer solutions

#27 7 years ago

when you said buckles and legs, I thought you were talking about this.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

when you said buckles and legs, I thought you were talking about this.

Remember CaptainNeo, I'm gonna have to pay for the legs and buckles I am looking for.
...I only wish I needed legs and buckles like those because they are not hard to find and come a dime a dozen.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

Shapeways can 3D print aluminum (and several other metals). If you can model it you can have them produce them one-at-a-time, and list the end product in a shapeways store so people who want them can buy directly when they need it. If you set it up with no profit margin, they don't charge any fees for the store listing... it just sits there forever until somebody orders. What's great about this solution is nobody has to front money for an inventory that could take a very long time to sell/distribute.
If you want to see an example of a shapeways store search for kahrparts on their site to find mine. I have some pics up there of Firepower outlanes viewed through a microscope so you can see the quality of their prints (I think the microscope shot is of their "metallic plastic" if I remember correctly)
-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for Williams system 3-7 sound board potentiometer solutions

Shapeways is pretty pricey.
Whats needed is an original to make a casting from.
Its affordable and readily accessible.

#30 7 years ago

Not sure if this has been mentioned as another option here yet or not – if someone is not willing to lend the brackets – then maybe they could at least give dimensions so one could be 3-D modelled – my buddy printed some brackets on his home 3-D printer and I am getting those cast an aluminum as well – just a thought

Best scenario is if some kind soul were able to loan all four for you - sand casting process does not harm the originals at all – and it becomes far more economical if the foundry can cast four at a time from the originals too FYI

Once you have one set of castings they become your masters for any future castings and the originals go back to their owner

Patience – eventually one or a set for purchase or loan Will surface to help you out

1 week later
#31 7 years ago

Bump

#32 7 years ago

I would settle for just one bracket.

......OR.....If you would accept a deposit for a loaner so I could have some made?

1 week later
#33 7 years ago

This is harder than finding antique car parts.....Somebody?

I found a local foundry, just need one to have sand cast mold made

#35 7 years ago

Thanks for the bump dasvis, I got a VERY reasonable quote from a local sand casting foundry about a mile from me.
All I need to do is come up with at least one. The guy said, to have them made the 3-D printing method would be very expensive, but if he had an original (or one someone already had repro'ed) then he could fix me right up at a very reasonable price.

The sad thing about it is that somewhere somebody has an old Sportsman laying around that needs some brackets too and probably has at least one good one on it.

I don't want to use the word "Please" here, because another Pinsider says I am begging for using the word "please" in my posts/threads.
...and also says Pinside is not the place for me to be looking for antique/vintage pinball parts.

#36 7 years ago

Such a cool machine, I for one want to see it whole.
Jennings really made some nice products.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from bronco-jon:

Thanks for the bump dasvis, I got a VERY reasonable quote from a local sand casting foundry about a mile from me.
All I need to do is come up with at least one. The guy said, to have them made the 3-D printing method would be very expensive, but if he had an original (or one someone already had repro'ed) then he could fix me right up at a very reasonable price.
The sad thing about it is that somewhere somebody has an old Sportsman laying around that needs some brackets too and probably has at least one good one on it.
I don't want to use the word "Please" here, because another Pinsider says I am begging for using the word "please" in my posts/threads.
...and also says Pinside is not the place for me to be looking for antique/vintage pinball parts.

I am working on getting a bracket for you to copy. I will know for sure in a few days.

Also, I can't think of a better place to look for pinball parts than the largest pinball website. Many, many parts for older games have been found here.

#38 7 years ago

That would be so Awesome Dennis! I have seen some of your collection before and it is awesome too!

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Such a cool machine, I for one want to see it whole.
Jennings really made some nice products.

Thanks dasvis, besides the missing brackets this machine is in amazing condition. and I have it fully functioning also. it still operates off batteries.
I found modern battery replacements for it (same shape and size) and found some old school battery labels to put on the modern batteries to give it that original type battery look.

1 week later
#40 7 years ago

Lookie what someone sent me! Fixin to head up the casting shop with it to get new ones made.
...Anyone who went to Chicagoland probably ran across Billy Wellers spot who had all kinds of cool old stuff there besides his really nice coin-op machines he restores.
there are great people in this hobby.
I want to thank everyone that helped look into finding these for me.
I'm not going to close this thread just yet in case someone runs across it and has some they have no use for. Who wouldn't want a spear set of them?

DSCF2894 (resized).JPGDSCF2894 (resized).JPG

#41 7 years ago

Awesome, perseverance paid off.

3 weeks later
#42 7 years ago

Just got them back from the casting shop. Since one of my inner brackets had a crack and ended up breaking off one of the ears, I had them make another one of those too.
The one I borrowed for a mold was a little shorter than my inner brackets but I let the guy talk me into letting him lengthen them to match my brackets.
I think they turned out just fine.
Mission Accomplished!!

DSCF2944 (resized).JPGDSCF2944 (resized).JPG

DSCF2945 (resized).JPGDSCF2945 (resized).JPG

#43 7 years ago

Oh yes! I would like to purchase some. Ate they avail?

Jeff

#44 7 years ago

Very nice!
What did that cost to have done?

#45 7 years ago

Those look awesome !! A lot sharper than some castings I just got done - did they grind / polish them for you?

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Oh yes! I would like to purchase some. Ate they avail?
Jeff

Not unless he made some extra ones and didn't tell me about it.
Billy Weller from Alabama loaned me one of his brackets so I could have these made and I already sent his back to him.
there must be a little difference is some of them because I had to have the new one extended a little to match my inner brackets.
You might try calling the casting company that made them and see what he says.
It's: Transtate Casting, Inc. 405-232-3936 his name is Jeff Carter

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Very nice!
What did that cost to have done?

I don't know what something like this normally cost to have done so I don't know if I paid to much or what.
it started off at $300 quote, and ended up being 400 because I wanted them to clean then up and polish them.
that's for all five pieces.
Did I pay to much?

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

Those look awesome !! A lot sharper than some castings I just got done - did they grind / polish them for you?

Yes, for another 100 they cleaned them up and polished.
Was 400 too much for this?

#49 7 years ago

If someone knew I was willing to pay that much, they may of stepped up and had a set to sell me????

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from bronco-jon:

I don't know what something like this normally cost to have done so I don't know if I paid to much or what.
it started off at $300 quote, and ended up being 400 because I wanted them to clean then up and polish them.
that's for all five pieces.
Did I pay to much?

Edited: .....I take that back on the starting quote. I sent them a pic of what I needed and they quoted me $200 over the phone and it went up to 300 when he actually saw them and the other bracket I wanted done. that didn't include grinding and polishing

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/needing-old-legs-and-outer-leg-buckles-like-these/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.