(Topic ID: 82761)

Needing help on wiring LED strips to the flasher circuit.

By Jive

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Lermods
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I've been using LED strips a lot to give some nice ambient lighting in my Terminator 2, but I have a couple questions.

First, I was at the Ohio Pinball Show this past weekend, and there was a Metallica there, with LED strips on the bottom of the cabinet. These seemed to be wired into the flasher circuit, as they would flash with the playfield flashers. I would like to do this on my T2, but have no idea how to wire it.

My second question, is that LED strips I have on the playfield (shooter lane, etc), are getting power from a 12v adapter that I have plugged into the service outlet. That works fine, BUT, I do not like how these are always on. What I would like to do, is wire these into the GI circuit so that when the playfield goes dark, these go dark as well.

Any help on either question would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

I thought I knew til I re-read your question. I don't have much experience with the GI.

#3 10 years ago

Buy a cheap o power converter board. They are on amazon for like $5. You can set an input and output voltages

#4 10 years ago

Comet pinball has led strips for that voltage.

#5 10 years ago

check out terminator 2 pinball club lots of info and pics. joe

#6 10 years ago

jrivelli, I checked Amazon, but did not see the power board you mentioned. Can you link me? Thanks!

1 year later
#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Jive:

I've been using LED strips a lot to give some nice ambient lighting in my Terminator 2, but I have a couple questions.
First, I was at the Ohio Pinball Show this past weekend, and there was a Metallica there, with LED strips on the bottom of the cabinet. These seemed to be wired into the flasher circuit, as they would flash with the playfield flashers. I would like to do this on my T2, but have no idea how to wire it.
My second question, is that LED strips I have on the playfield (shooter lane, etc), are getting power from a 12v adapter that I have plugged into the service outlet. That works fine, BUT, I do not like how these are always on. What I would like to do, is wire these into the GI circuit so that when the playfield goes dark, these go dark as well.
Any help on either question would be appreciated. Thanks!

Realize this is an old thread, but I've been tinkering with the flashers a bit so interested to hear what others say.

I think on the first question, if you get an rgb strip, you can solder four wires to it (one hot, one for red, another for green and another for blue. run the positive lead to a hot lug on a flasher and run another lead to the ground lug on that flasher and then the two others to the ground lugs on the other flashers where you want the strip to light. When the flashers are active, that color will flash.

On the second, You can't run a 12v led strip off the GI as GI is 6v. There are 6v led strips out there, but I don't think they are very common. Comet, cointaker and Mezel sell 6v strips in short lengths.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 21.95
$ 9.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/needing-help-on-wiring-led-strips-to-the-flasher-circuit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.