• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Marvel_Comics_Super_Special_Vol_1_16.jpg
EjhpxdD.jpg
Spoiler_Tweet.jpg
Spoiler.jpg
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

Luke Skywalker is Kylo Ren. There.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha...great way to put it. I wish I could have any level of excitement near what I had before Menacing Phantom fingered it out of me.

Don't knock him that much, he was a much worse writer....like way way way worse.

Agreed. This movie is proof.

Was trying to explain the whole SW thing to a 37 yo female who had never seen one. She kept saying Lucas sounded like kind of an ass. was hard to defend him after telling her about the special editions the prequels etc...

#53 8 years ago

If you want to save a couple bucks, just watch Episode IV instead.

They're pretty much the same movie.

Say what you want about Lucas and his terrible ideas (Eps. 1-3, not 4-6), but at least they were original.

#54 8 years ago

I think lucas had great ideas but his execution wasn't so good. He had someone else direct ESB and ROTJ- look how great those movies are.

I disagree. I think any and all SW fans should see the new movie.

Well wait a minute...there are some similarities...

#55 8 years ago

I can't say there aren't some similarities. It's a valid point. What I took from it though was more the whole, "Lucas meant each trilogy to rhyme" thing.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

If you want to save a couple bucks, just watch Episode IV instead.
They're pretty much the same movie.
Say what you want about Lucas and his terrible ideas (Eps. 1-3, not 4-6), but at least they were original.

I get what your saying but I do think it was done on purpose and for a reason. He was trying to redeem the franchise and also get it started in the right direction. In order to do that he needed to re-hash some old stuff and tie it in with some new direction.....and I think this movie accomplished all of the above. Redemption, familiar and points to new direction with new characters taking the lead from here.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

In order to do that he needed to re-hash some old stuff

"some"?!? I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, so I won't get into the specifics. I went with two of my brothers and we all said to each other towards the end of the movie, "If they start putting medals around people's necks, we're out of here".

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

"some"?!? I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, so I won't get into the specifics. I went with two of my brothers and we all said to each other towards the end of the movie, "If they start putting medals around people's necks, we're out of here".

Well you could even argue that this franchise was due for a bit of a rehash.....just to get it back on track after episodes 1-3.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Oh come on. You didn't enjoy it?? It was what it was. I enjoyed the bad guy and love Chewbacca even more.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

In other words, leave before the credits roll?

#61 8 years ago

I liked it, but only because Lucas had destroyed the franchise so badly with 1-3. Him selling the brand to Disney was the best thing that could have happened. I love JJ Abrams. From Lost to Super 8, I've seen it all. I just wish this movie would have been a little more original.

Oh, and don't even get me started on Kylo Ren.

#62 8 years ago

Whatever you do don't go on Twitter, Reddit, or the *chans if you want to avoid spoilers.

#63 8 years ago

I've seen it twice now.

On second viewing I enjoyed the first half even more, and the second half even less.

I know Disney wanted to play it safe with their $4 billion investment, but it didn't have to be THAT safe. All it had to do was "not suck" -which it accomplished - just wish it had a fresher story (so sick of Death Stars)

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I've seen it twice now.
On second viewing I enjoyed the first half even more, and the second half even less.
I know Disney wanted to play it safe with their $4 billion investment, but it didn't have to be THAT safe. All it had to do was "not suck" -which it accomplished - just wish it had a fresher story (so sick of Death Stars)

Finally! Someone who viewed the movie through a different lense.

Did the movie suck? Not at all.
Was it original? Uhhh, not really.

I'm excited for Ep. 8, I just wish it didn't borrow so much from Ep. 4 and 5.

#65 8 years ago

Who cares, the movie was fun. Stop nitpicking so much ya fucking douchebags.

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

HA - HA!!!! I said the exact same thing!!! That's hysterical. I saw the 9:00 am show today. Theatre was packed! As the credits starts rolling you hear these two half-hearted claps coming from the rear of the theatre and I'm sitting there cringing and wondering if anyone else was going to join in. Nobody did. When people started lining up to walk out... let's just say that I've seen livelier funeral processions.

Again... when I saw "Phantom Menace"... I was mad. That was just a bad movie. When I saw this... I was more sad. It had the potential to be so good. The look... the pace... that new girl... they were all really good. But the story was just dumb. Really, another Death Star.... that's the best they could do???? I think JJ is only capable of Reboots at this point. Originality is out the door.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from kismetnumber1:

HA - HA!!!! I said the exact same thing!!! That's hysterical. I saw the 9:00 am show today. Theatre was packed! As the credits starts rolling you hear these two half-hearted claps coming from the rear of the theatre and I'm sitting there cringing and wondering if anyone else was going to join in. Nobody did. When people started lining up to walk out... let's just say that I've seen livelier funeral processions.
Again... when I saw "Phantom Menace"... I was mad. That was just a bad movie. When I saw this... I was more sad. It had the potential to be so good. The look... the pace... that new girl... they were all really good. But the story was just dumb. Really, another Death Star.... that's the best they could do???? I think JJ is only capable of Reboots at this point. Originality is out the door.

The fall back excuse seems to be, "They played it safe with this one because of all the negativity with the last three that came out".

Translation: Lucas tried something new, people didn't like it, so just go back and rehash the next three. Appease the masses, make them forget I-III, and everyone will be happy again.

Seriously, I don't want to give anything away, but VIII is set up to basically to be Empire all over again!

#68 8 years ago

What else would the empire/ first order build as a super weapon to keep all the systems in line?

#69 8 years ago

We saw the movie this morning. I loved it, It was a slow start but I do not think it was the best one ever made but it sure beats jar jar binks.

#70 8 years ago

I saw it as a start of a franchise and a homage to the previous movies.

This is like the 1st Iron Man movie in as much it set the back story for the sequels.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Episode VII: The Reboot

STAR WARS in now tied with POLICE ACADEMY seven movies !!! {8-P

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I've seen it twice now.

I agree, the first half was good, but the second half not so much. This movie is really more of a setup for the next one or two movies more than anything.

Rob

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

What else would the empire/ first order build as a super weapon to keep all the systems in line?

Maybe something that hadn't proven a total failure not once but twice before?

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Spoiler Alert!!!!
It's revealed in the new movie that people discovered that Ewoks are delicious and they were subsequently hunted to extinction.

Before seeing the new movie (loved it), I watched Jedi with my son to prep him. When the one Ewok dies, the other leans over and hugs him, right? The next morning he explained to his Mom the artworks were cannibals - he thought he was eating him!

I LOVE MY SON.

#75 8 years ago

JJ seems to dislike things that take time so he likes to take shortcuts. First we get beaming from Earth to Kronos, now we get [redacted thing that is similar to the first example].

It was definitely a Star Wars movie. It had the right feeling. And the villain wasn't two-dimensional. Also it had actual humour in it, unlike the prequels. So overall it was good, but there were a few "huh?" moments that I hope are fixed in the next one.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Before seeing the new movie (loved it), I watched Jedi with my son to prep him. When the one Ewok dies, the other leans over and hugs him, right? The next morning he explained to his Mom the artworks were cannibals - he thought he was eating him!
I LOVE MY SON.

Are you sure you weren't watching Family Guy?

#77 8 years ago

Maybe he's sneaking in YouTube time on us! Lol

#78 8 years ago

I liked the villain Kylo Ren.

Prequels just painted some dude red, added horns and said "hate this guy". Then killed him too early.

Ep7 they give you a reason to hate the villain and saved him for another movie (even though him escaping that planet is a real stretch though im sure he did)

Yeah on second viewing the movie slows to a crawl once they get to that place with the orange alien woman. Rey runs away into the woods for no good reason, Finn tries to leave for no good reason, characters do things that Hero's Journey says they should at that point in the story (magic flight) not because it makes sense.

#79 8 years ago

Interesting, I found it much better the second time around.

#80 8 years ago

What was the deal with Jabba's son Babba Hutt racing against Kylo Ren in a podracer? He seems force sensitive as he wouldn't have won the race otherwise. It was a surprise when Babba explained that his father had lost the force long ago as he ate too many Klatooine paddy frogs which reduces the number of midichlorians in ones body. By the time Jabba relalized what effects the frogs had it was too late and he couldn't move anymore Sad.

Yes, joking, lol.

Episode 7 is amazing!

#81 8 years ago

I liked it and my 8, 11, 12 and 15 yr old boys all did too. It seems to have broad appeal. It's far from perfect, but pretty good!

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Ok, so Kylo Ren was Han & Leia's son, Rey must me Luke's daughter right? Great great movie!

spoiler alert

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Like what?
Anything they build will be exploited and fail, Hollywood formula 101.

#85 8 years ago

Oh and all the posts before mine were not spoilers. [inflammatory acronym removed]

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I'm asking everyone who sees this movie early, to please not give away any spoilers....
I'm begging everyone, please do not spoil the movie for everyone.

Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Ok, so Kylo Ren was Han & Leia's son, Rey must me Luke's daughter right? Great great movie!

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Quoted from Wamprat:

Like what?
Anything they build will be exploited and fail, Hollywood formula 101.

That's because both Hollywood and The Empire are INSANE! They keep doing the same thing OVER and OVER again expecting different results!

#88 8 years ago

Thread moved to “Sights and Sounds”, the place for movies and music.
Moved out of “All Pinside/ WebSite”

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/needed-rules-for-new-star-wars-movie-1/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.