A4556673-E262-44A9-89F8-9DEBB4B600D1 (resized).jpeg
8A11007F-DD0F-4BE4-B385-DA3195E98954 (resized).jpeg
2121305_septepbddopa_cs006_h (resized).jpg
deputy-badge-pinside (resized).jpg
die picknick (resized).jpg
die picknick. (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hi everybody

My wife starts restoration on a DOLLY P and she wants to give it the 'original' Cabinet-Artwork which was refused by the Parton-Management in 1979 and could only be seen on very early test-samples. The machine pictured is #EDP1003

Anybody got such a machine and could give us a 'GOOD' hi-res photograph please?
Those 2 pictures aren't detailed enough.

Or maybe someone knows Mr. Brownback who supported these pictures for the IPDB

Any help will be highly appreciated.

die picknick. (resized).jpgdie picknick. (resized).jpg
die picknick (resized).jpgdie picknick (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Wow, that’s way better than what they ended up with. Very cool. Good luck!

#3 5 years ago

Thanks
I absolutely agree (of course) with you and I'm sure the game would have reached more attention with that original artwork.
Typical Christensen!
Maybe 'the Diva' thought it's too sexistic.

1 month later
#4 5 years ago

Gee Whizz

Still no one wanting to help?
Come one please!

#5 5 years ago

Probably really tough to come by someone who would actually have this version of the game. Maybe try to tweak the perspective to be correct then trace the vector shapes in illustrator or something? You know you’re on the right track if you’re getting the “smoke” to line up with the smoke in the production cabinet art.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Mardi-Gras-Man:

Maybe 'the Diva' thought it's too sexistic.

Sexistic. Ha!

#7 5 years ago

Gee Whizz
Still no one wanting to help?
Come one please!

I agree that you have everything you need in those pictures. Blow them up a little, perspective correct, then trace in Illustrator to turn it into vector art. You'll get crisp lines and a nice template. Note that the left side isn't a mirror image of the right. The "DOLLY" is flipped the other way, but you won't have to re-do everything for the other side, just flip the "DOLLY".

Probably about 4-5 hours work. And you'll have a great template to contribute to the community.

deputy-badge-pinside (resized).jpgdeputy-badge-pinside (resized).jpg
#8 5 years ago

Thanks guys!
I must say neither my wife and me have experience in re-doing pictures but it sounds very good.

A nice pinsider has offered to do this for us - and yes it will be contributed to the community, of course!

who knows what goes on in the heads of some stars - I read that Dave Christensen stated he got lots of trouble from her management regarding the artwork.

#9 5 years ago

I have been looking for a Dolly with one of those cabinets for years so I hope you have better luck than me!

#10 5 years ago

Hope to see these stencils someday.

#11 5 years ago

Funny.... I have always had the opinion that the side art on the Dolly Cab was by FAR the worst ever done on a Bally..... it was always just so simple & plain Jane, & now I see WHY they look that way. I had no idea this early version existed..... (& it looks Soooooooo much better) I don't know how you delete half the art on the side of your cab & produce it like that. Her hair on the Backglass is atrocious & is the biggest reason I can not see myself ever owning one of these machines.......she looked good on the cab side.

#12 5 years ago

who knows what goes on in the heads of some stars - I read that Dave Christensen stated he got lots of trouble from her management regarding the artwork.

I will guess that they didn't like the side art for two reasons: The big ol' country music hair (though it's better than that monstrosity on her head on the bg), and the "pointiness". I like it fine but I'm trying to think like they did.

#13 5 years ago

Maybe contact Pinball Pimp and see if he can weave his magic with those photos.

I have a Dolly cabinet to restore ... I would definitely buy a set of this version if available.

rd

#14 5 years ago

Wireland and RoyGBev - Yes, the 'POINTINESS' is excactly what I meant with 'sexistic'

WeatherbyMAG - Believe it or not but it's true - when I first saw this machine in late 1979 I immediately had the impression that there was something missing on the cabinet-art. Especially because it's a Christensen-design. Agree 100% with you - the look of her hair kinda destroys the whole game.

As soon as my wife is finished with it all of you who are interested in stencils or photos will get them, I promise.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

I will guess that they didn't like the side art for two reasons: The big ol' country music hair (though it's better than that monstrosity on her head on the bg), and the "pointiness". I like it fine but I'm trying to think like they did.

Yes. Hair too big and boobs too small.

#16 5 years ago

The side art looks better than the backglass art for sure. Nothing against the game or Dolly, but damn it looks out of place. I have never seen one of these games in person ever.

3 months later
#17 5 years ago

I highly recommend Bryan aka Devilsmuse to anyone who likes to give his DP the 'original' artwork. He has done an incredible job for little money.
Pictures will follow as soon as my wife is finished.
Thanks Bryan!

#18 5 years ago

I highly recommend Bryan aka Devilsmuse to anyone who likes to give his DP the 'original' artwork. He has done an incredible job for little money.
Pictures will follow as soon as my wife is finished.
Thanks Bryan!

Cool! Look forward to hearing the details!

rd

4 months later
#19 5 years ago

So is there a update yet ....??

I would be interested in buying the stencils if they are made available.

I have a question about the White on the cabinet .... it looks to me that they may have tried to put some kind of "Gold Sparkle" over the top of the white before they did the pink and blue. When I got this game I originally thought that it had some over-spray on it. They are definitely a sprayed on, over the top of the white, brown spots or flecks. I am wondering if anyone has the story on these spots all over the white? Would make sense that it is "Gold Sparkle" because of the statement "Dolly is Vegas" from the Mgr Rep.

I also find it strange that they seem to have put the legs and side rails on before they did the pink and blue .... or did they actually mask those areas for some reason?

I have read the article about the changes in the backglass artwork and compromise in the playfield and I did not see where it mentioned the cabinet artwork. Is there another article I have not read?

I love the history ... thanks

5 months later
#20 4 years ago

How’d this work out? Anyone create some new stencils or get scans?

rd

#21 4 years ago

I believe Mr. Brownback doesn’t own that machine anymore. He sold it to my friend locally and it is in storage. When I asked if I could copy the artwork, he was not open to that idea. I think he felt if it was copied his might lose its rarity? Someday I’ll win.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypalooza:

. I think he felt if it was copied his might lose its rarity?

It’s a Dolly Parton. Lol!

Keep fighting the good fight.

rd

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Wow, that’s way better than what they ended up with. Very cool. Good luck!

The whole artwork on Dolly is "off" aside from playfield, the original cabinet is much more pleasing. The backglass in particular could be so much better considering the model they had to work with. Dolly was smoking hot back in the day.

Instead they use Vegas Dolly, go figure.

2121305_septepbddopa_cs006_h (resized).jpg2121305_septepbddopa_cs006_h (resized).jpg
1 month later
#27 4 years ago

hmmm well good for you to make some money from your hard work ... looks great by the way and make sure to pass on the complements to your wife

As soon as my wife is finished with it all of you who are interested in stencils or photos will get them, I promise.

#28 4 years ago

In the meantime I contacted all people who took part in this thread to keep my promise, and this surely is not for the money.
I was informed by the friendly pinsider who did the job that he also had requests from other members, but of course I can't say what they all did with those stencils.
Anyway, I didn't 'sell' anything to no one, and what is being or going to be offered by distributors surely doesn't come from me.
If I forgot to write someone feel free to remind me.

#29 4 years ago

Ohhh Dolly

8A11007F-DD0F-4BE4-B385-DA3195E98954 (resized).jpeg8A11007F-DD0F-4BE4-B385-DA3195E98954 (resized).jpegA4556673-E262-44A9-89F8-9DEBB4B600D1 (resized).jpegA4556673-E262-44A9-89F8-9DEBB4B600D1 (resized).jpegD058BC86-6753-4BD4-BE81-26DBA9B6853E (resized).jpegD058BC86-6753-4BD4-BE81-26DBA9B6853E (resized).jpeg
#30 4 years ago

Looks great. My wife would love it if I redid our Dolly so it's good to know someone made the proto stencils available.

edit: Special shout out for Mardi-Gras-Man He sent me a copy of the PDF of the stencils at no charge. Now I have one less excuse for putting it off!

#31 4 years ago

In the meantime I contacted all people who took part in this thread to keep my promise, and this surely is not for the money.
I was informed by the friendly pinsider who did the job that he also had requests from other members, but of course I can't say what they all did with those stencils.
Anyway, I didn't 'sell' anything to no one, and what is being or going to be offered by distributors surely doesn't come from me.
If I forgot to write someone feel free to remind me.

Thanks for the reply and the offer glad to know that there are honest people willing to do the right thing, hard to find in the world today.

Best Regards

#32 4 years ago

Pinball dreams list the prototype stencils for sale. I remember seeing them a few years back as I was going to my dolly the same way.

https://www.pinball-dreams.com/flipper-pinball-flipperautomaten-modding-shop/stencil-kits/stencil-kits-dolly-parton-prototype.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 69.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cleveland, TN
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/needed-pic-dolly-parton-test-sample-with-complete-artwork?hl=play_pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.