(Topic ID: 76096)

Need help with GNR VUK wireform / Shooter lane alignment (Guns N Roses)

By YoJoeNCSU

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pindude80
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0267.JPG
IMG_0266.JPG
GNRAlignment.png
DSCN5692.JPG
DSCN5699.JPG
DSCN5693.JPG

#1 6 years ago

Hello,

I'm still a novice at this, so I may use wrong terms when describing the issue. I've the GNR pin (my first & only one) for a little over a year and have had a recurring problem that is driving me crazy.

I've been trying to do more research on the web for the last few days, but haven't come across anything definitive that helped me - I've seen a couple threads on boards, but no one that posted the exact solution to what I'm looking for.

I have the original wire form set (black) that dumps the balls up at the top of the playfield at the JAM lanes. I've read where others had issues with the balls not making it up the ramp from the initial launch...I've never had that problem and I've had the machine for over a year now (this current problem has existed a while, but I'm just now getting around to trying to fix it).

The issue I have is happens when I land a ball in the right hole to add a band member, the VUK activates (seems like it has plenty of power b/c it always makes it up the wireform to land on the shooter lane wireform). However, the ball has a tendency to not roll around the corner to the left - it will go to the right and roll back down into the shooter lane. It will get relaunched automatically and travel around the shooter lane and back into play with no problems. This isn't an issue until the sixth band member is added and multiball begins. The initial ball ends up meeting the first of the multiballs and then it jams the whole mess up. Sometimes it seems like its the alignment of the vertical wireform b/c the ball will hit on of the too small peg like extensions (circled in yellow in the last pic) on the upper portion of the shooter line where it opens up to receive the ball, sometimes it just seems like an elevation deal of the shooter lane.

I've tried adjusting the shooter lane ramp up and down in the slot at the rear of the playfield (circled in red in the last pic), but it doesn't seem to make much of adifference. It is inconsistent in performance whether it is at the top, middle, or bottom of the slot. I had a guy come over yesterday that repairs machines (he fixed some lighting issues I had). He tinkered with it a bit, but was also out of ideas. I the service bulletins #60, 63, and 64 that talked about drilling a hole to lower the elevation of the shooter lane and other issues - I guess that was kind of a last resort for me. I was also wary of that since it seemed like a solution for a different problem.

I'm open to any suggestions out there - would like to hear from other GNR owners to know if they have had this issue and what they did to fix it. Thank you.

Here are some pics and videos of the problem. I can easily take other pics/videos if there is something in particular that would help:

DSCN5692.JPG
DSCN5693.JPG
DSCN5699.JPG
GNRAlignment.png

#2 6 years ago

it's too hard to tell from the video, but what exactly is causing the ball to go the wrong way? Is it hitting something it shouldn't and bouncing back or does the ball have a funny spin and it's spinning back?

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the reply. There a 3 different things that I have observed that cause it to go the wrong way. One, it will sometimes hit the extended parts of the upper piece of the wireform (circled in yellow in last pic). When it does this, it ricochets the wrong direction down the shooter lane. Other times, it will hit hard off the wood on the side of the cabinet and then roll back down the shooter lane in the wrong direction. And lastly, it will land just fine in the wireform (not hitting the circled yellow tabs, not hitting the cabinet wall) and just roll the wrong way. So those are the 3 things I observe. Hope that helps.

#4 6 years ago

At the base of the VUK IIRC it's held with 2 or 3 nuts. If you loosen the nuts there should be some room to adjust. Have you tried loosening the VUK, pointing it as for left (toward the back) as it'll go, then re-securing?

You said you tried adjusting the ramp, what about the VUK itself?

#5 6 years ago

Yes - we tried rotating the VUK. There was a just a little bit of room for adjustment. I can take another look at it.

Do you have a GNR? I'd really like to hear from someone that has a GNR that can say how theirs is aligned (i.e. shooter ramp is at the very top of the list, VUK rotated to leftmost position...)

#6 6 years ago

My game looks like your game. Your pics are hard to see, they are dark and a bit fuzzy. Have you checked your coil? When the ball kicks, it's never not made it to the top of the VUK, but it doesn't have much speed at all. It's pretty slow actually. If the ball hit something on the main ramp, it wouldn't have enough speed to go back into the shooter lane.

IMG_0266.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG

4 months later
#7 6 years ago
Quoted from YoJoeNCSU:

Yes - we tried rotating the VUK. There was a just a little bit of room for adjustment. I can take another look at it.
Do you have a GNR? I'd really like to hear from someone that has a GNR that can say how theirs is aligned (i.e. shooter ramp is at the very top of the list, VUK rotated to leftmost position...)

I have it and have pretty much the same issue only not as frequently ... maybe 1 out of 10 games or so ..... there is a service bulliten 64 if you havent seen it
http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/Stern Service Bulletins/sb/sb64.pdf

I cant tell from the pics but it looks like yours may already be lowered . Apparently there is another design that uses stainless wireform in another configuration that is more desirable but im not sure what the ratio between to the two is .... ive thought about slightly lowering the "mini-mars" lens or figuring a way to pull the wireform closer to the side of the cabinet without hindering the way the ball travels across it. Service Bulliten 63 suggests changing to the stainless wire form but ive never seen any of those for sale anywhere.

1 year later
#8 4 years ago

I'm now having this problem after we took the ramps off to install LED lights. There was a ziptie the previous owner had installed that brought the VUK and shooter lane habitrails closer together. I tried that and multiple adjustments to the VUK and shooter wireform and like the original poster, never ended up getting it fixed.

Did anyone get theirs fixed and if so what was the procedure? I love this game, but it's beginning to drive me crazy!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 24.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside