(Topic ID: 208037)

Need to thin down (yes, another what should I do thread)

By djblouw

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by djblouw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

So, to start, I'm not looking for someone to give me the correct answer, rather, I'm interested in how others would handle this.

I'm going to be getting two more machines. A while ago, I made a deal with the wife that we wouldn't get any more machines because we are out of space. So that means I now need to trim down my current collection by two games in order to keep the number of games the same.

The majority of my current collection are keepers for me, so they're completely off the table from getting downsized. But, since I'm getting two games I've wanted, I'll have to move the low ones on the totem pole. Here's the options:

Black Rose
    Pinbot
    T2
    Strange Science
    WhoDunnit?

I've listed them in the order of likelihood to sell (BR being first). I've really enjoyed BF, but it's time to move it on (plus the wife isn't a huge fan). Since the two games I'm getting are system 11, I figured Pinbot would be the next victim.

I could make a case for T2, as they're relatively easy to come by if I want one again some day. Strange Science is a pin I'd wanted and still enjoy. But the "just one more game" factor doesn't seem to be there. W?D is in storage right now, but I'd like to have it set up again soon.

So, what would you sell? Or should I try convincing her that we don't really need a dining room table, and hope she doesn't kill me?

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from djblouw:

Or should I try convincing her that we don't really need a dining room table, and hope she doesn't kill me?

This gets my vote haha. Good luck with the decision. I'd jettison T2 and Strange Science myself, but I think you already knew that.

#3 6 years ago

T2 & BR.

BR is a pirate theme and that's cool; and that's where the coolness ends.

#4 6 years ago

I would keep only T2 and Who Dunnit, but i don't think that can help you

#5 6 years ago

Sell the two that you play and/or enjoy the least. Nothing else matters.

#6 6 years ago

Any pin friends nearby that can take a couple for while? Then rotate them in a month or so, and after a few months you’ll know which ones you could live without long term.

#7 6 years ago

I have no kitchen table two pins there instead. And my girl is ok with that. So I vote make more room some where.

#8 6 years ago

Looking at your currently owned games, I couldn't get Tri-zone and Time Warp to the curb fast enough over what you are considering parting with. I perfer EMs over many of my Solid State games but those early SS WMS games are just so darn bad!

But that's just me (and you did ask )

Otherwise, I would dump Pinbot and Black Rose.

#9 6 years ago

Damn. I should have started a poll.

So far it's two votes for BR, two votes for T2, one for SS, and one for Pinbot.
    One vote for other games than listed (which I can't do), and one for getting murdered by an angry wife for moving the table when she's not home.

Keep the opinions coming.

#10 6 years ago

No can do. It sucks getting games in my basement and I do not want to do that every couple months.

Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Any pin friends nearby that can take a couple for while? Then rotate them in a month or so, and after a few months you’ll know which ones you could live without long term.

Tri-zone is a keeper for me--it was my first pin, and is great for a quick game at lunch. Time Warp is in storage, and will probably be going somewhere else this summer.

Quoted from CactusJack:

I couldn't get Tri-zone and Time Warp to the curb fast enough

#11 6 years ago

I would sell Black Rose and T2. Pinbot is a classic and hard to find in decent condition, Who Dunnit is underrated and a blast to play, and Strange Science is just weird enough to stick around. I find T2 to be incredibly boring over time. With the jackpots being tied to the gun, it takes away most of the "pinball" action. Plus, once you get good at it, the only way you score big is through the gun and I really don't think it's that exciting. Black Rose is not a bad game either, I just don't think it compares to the others you listed. The cannon is neat, but again, once you've seen it couple of times it tends to break up the gameplay enough that all you want is for the ball to come back into play. Good Luck. The good news is that you won't have a hard time selling any of the games on your list because they are all pretty sought after and they all fall in the sweet spot of moderately priced, but excellent games.

#12 6 years ago

Whodunnit would be my choice. It's not that good, and it's worth he most so you'll get around $2500-3K of spending money. I know you didn't ask but every game on that list would be pretty expendable to me, maybe chum the waters with a bunch of FS ads and see what bites.

#13 6 years ago

I would think T2 would be both the easiest to sell, and the easiest to get again if you want it later.

Some don't like using the gun, but it was a way to integrate the DMD technology that was new to pinball at the time. T2 went toe-to-toe with Street Fighter at its peak back in the day for quarters - the only pin at the time on that level - and shooting the gun in the video mode was definitely part of the "cool" factor.

#14 6 years ago

Your results may vary.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Your results may vary.

Haha. I can't believe it took 14 posts for this. I figured 3 or 4 tops.

2 more for T2, one for BR, and W?D gets on the board with one vote.

#16 6 years ago

Tell her when she cleans out her side of the closet, you'll get rid of the machines. If your wife is like mine, I have about 2 ft of closet space and she has the other 10.

#17 6 years ago

I'll buy your pinbot if it's in nice shape.

#18 6 years ago

T2 - Was never a huge fan. It's decent, but for a DMD game, it plays like a system 11 game. With that said, there are a number of system 11 games that I have more fun playing than T2.

Black Rose - It never interested me, personally. I think it would make the most money out of the other pins you listed.

I really like Who Dunnit, plus it's a good party game based on my experience. Pinbot is a classic. Strange Science is a kooky theme and I like those type of games.

#19 6 years ago

like what was said before, whatever ones you play the least are probably the obvious choice. thats how i decided to sell my last pin. just cause it looks cool or whatever dont matter when you need room for something you will enjoy PLAYING. if i had to pick two of those, strange science and who dunnit.

#20 6 years ago

I will add he has the nicest BR I’ve seen.

#21 6 years ago

any of them
    apart from Strange Science, the others are easy to find if you do sell it and then regret

so, unless a game is mint, put them all on the market, see what sells first

#22 6 years ago

I would get rid of Black Rose or Who Dunnit? The novelty wears off fast. I have been trying to trade or sell mine with no luck. It will take forever to get rid of, by that time you will be ready for it to leave. I would keep Strange Science especially if it's in good shape. Would be hard to replace.

#23 6 years ago

I would bounce them all out. That changes your perspective on everything in a good way. You can always backtrack and buy all of these titles again. Don't give it another thought. I just bought White Water for the 3rd time! When it wasn't around I didn't miss it. Available real estate in the house becomes the most important commodity for me. A lot of great machines out there but only so much room unless you own a barn or an empty warehouse which I don't. Good luck!

#24 6 years ago

I would list everything but Strange Science and sell what sells first and second.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from RobertWinter:

Sell the two that you play and/or enjoy the least. Nothing else matters.

That is what I'm doing aside for one that has nostalgic value.

Picking up a new job which is going to suck up all my time.. so my pin fixing hobby will be effectively on hold for a year minimum if not for several.

#26 6 years ago

I've always thought T2 to be extremely boring. For the other I think I would sell Black Rose that game has just never really done much for me either.

#27 6 years ago

I thought this was a weight lose thread.

#28 6 years ago

So the overall tone seems to be that BR & T2 are the most expendable out of the list and that Strange Science is rare to find (even harder to find in this good of shape).

I can't use the "sell what you play the least" mantra, as I rotate what I play almost every day, unless I have another project parked in front of it.

3 weeks later
    #29 6 years ago

Just to close the door on this: I moved three games: BR, T2, and Pinbot. It was difficult to sell that many, but I'll be happy with the new ones coming in.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-to-thin-down-yes-another-what-should-i-do-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.