Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by tezting
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8147 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20160921_205734 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20160921_205540 (resized).jpg
    20160918_094204-COLLAGE (resized).jpg
    20160916_224023-COLLAGE (resized).jpg
    IMG_20160725_234721 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tezting.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hi,
    After working on the backbox for over 100 hours (had to redo many things but guess that's how you learn) I was happy to paint.
    I used plastikote semi gloss.
    What a crap product! I used 4 cans and it was not enough. I have spray painted a lot but have never had such a crappy result:
    - uneven coverage
    - uneven gloss
    - splatter

Now I have ordered a product I know is good (Motip) but my question is what now?
    Should I lightly sand with grit 400?
    Remove all the paint with grit 400? (Will be a lot of work because it will glog the sandpaper)

Please help me so I can get a good restoration.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

First question is if the new paint can be applied over the old type of paint. The Plastikote appears to be an enamel. What type of paint is the Motip?

This is what I used:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plasti-kote-22100-400ml-Premium-Spray/dp/B006KDIGK2
    I cant see what is it?

This is what there support said when I asked:

Thank you for contacting PlastiKote Customer Services.

We can confirm our PlastiKote paint is a water based product with solvents in the can to help the product out of the can.

I hope this helps.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

This is what I have bought now:
    http://www.saxon-shop.com/p/motip-semi-gloss-black-500ml
    And it says Acrylic

Quoted from terryb:

To be honest both of these issues are typically technique rather than the brand of paint. It is not easy to avoid tiger-striping (uneven gloss) with rattle cans.

In generel or with semi-gloss? I have successfully painted manytimes with gloss and matt without any problems before.

Quoted from terryb:

I can't imagine how you could put over 100 hours into a backbox.

It is possible for sure! Just a matter of redoing things many many times. Very frustrating, started this spring and now it is winter soon.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Have you considered getting a half gallon of paint thinner and washing it all off? Might be easier.

I have, but did not know if it would be a big mess?

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

Yes you can apply that over the other paint. If the original paint is flat and smooth then you can rough it up a little (I use the maroon scotch-brite pad) and paint over it.

It was super smooth and nice.
    Do you know what grit it is similar to? The pads we have is another brand and colors.

Quoted from terryb:

You typically don't get the tiger-striping with matt, but will with gloss and semi-gloss. Because a pinball cabinet is a large flat area it will tend to show up more than other things you might paint. It will also show up more on wood than metal.

Hmm any advise? Is it when doing wrong overlapping? Or ? Tried YouTube for some video advice but could not find any.

Thank

#14 7 years ago

Thank you all for the help so far.
    What is the best technique for painting the edges and the inside?
    And it is normal to paint the whole box at once right?

#20 7 years ago

Is it something like this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311642435218

?

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Fred736:

This is exactly the one I used:
    https://shop.bombingscience.com/ghetto-blaster-fan-cap.html
    And here is a video:
    https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=0ahUKEwiCioeg3J3PAhUDwYMKHXZdDUUQwqsBCB0wAA&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA&sig2=uTWfBEZ5_t0XvgTel5Pmhg
    If I recall well, I laid one full coat over the side of my cabinet with about 25-50% overlap between strokes in about five lengthwise strokes. Over bare (but sealed) wood, I placed 3 coats with sanding in between each coat. Nice smooth finish.
    This nozzle is a can dumper. So you have to move fast. I'd say about 3 seconds to make one lengthwise stroke across you cabinet.
    I used Molotow Premium paint, 4 cans for the base green coat. Could probably have made it with three but I did a lot of testing before and had to redo the front. One can and a bit for the blue. (Again, could have easily made it one) and less than one for the black. See post #13 for pics. Blue and black, one coat only except small local touchups. But no issue using a second one of you want. If you move your can faster, you ll have to put down a second one. In fact, running you can faster, and laying an extra coat is probably a safer way to go if your doing this for the first time. Until you get a feel for the easy the can/nozzle sprays.

Thank you, just ordered 10 of both.

Quoted from Fred736:

This nozzle is a can dumper

What does that mean?

#30 7 years ago

Just got a reply from Motip

Thank you for your e-mail. Sorry, this isn’t possible. One paint is an Alkyd and the other an Acryl. My advice to use products in the same range.

I have never heard about Alkyd?

I was thinking about giving the broken paint some tooth, give it new primer and then the new paint. But now I don't even know if my primer is Alkyd!

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

Alkyd is an oil based paint. They are correct. Acrylic/latex over oil will peal without scarifying and a bonding primer first.

But primer between and I will be ok?

What pisses me off is that the correct information is so hard to find. I have one supporter from plastikote who says that it is water/acryl. The seller says he's contact point says it's enamal. Then we have Motip who says it's Alkyd.
    So what is the damn paint?!?!? How can I be 100%

Btw. I can wipe it off with naphtha

1 week later
    #34 7 years ago

When doing 50% overlap. How many coats do you normally do before you think it is perfect? How long do you wait between coats?

#36 7 years ago

Thank you !
    Do you know what he means by "I think the key is to make sure you're spraying away from the wet area, not into it."

#38 7 years ago

Thank you all for the help.
    How many cans do you use for the head and cabinet? (Need to do only black)

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from Fred736:

See post 21 above.

Thank you. I saw that you used multiple colors and I don't know if the covarge is as good as black.
    What is you guess if only black is used for cabinet and head?

#42 7 years ago

Uh my....

IMG_8147 (resized).JPGIMG_8147 (resized).JPG

Don't buy platikote and DONT believe what there support says!!!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tezting.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-to-repaint-backbox-after-failed-attempt?tu=tezting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.