(Topic ID: 308100)

Need to lower a pin a few inches - new legs or re-drill leg holes?

By Anony

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 42 days ago by hbpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

chop saw (resized).jpg
    cut off saw (resized).jpg
    metal blade (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I have an IMDN and it just barely fit in my basement. I had to remove the ceiling tiles so I could lift the playfield up and it just barely lifts between the joists to the upright position. The backbox is basically rubbing the ceiling.

I'm picking up a Tee'd Off soon and it's a couple inches taller than a modern Stern so I know I'm going to have to do something to lower it.

I looked around a bit for shorter legs but got some conflicting answers about whether or not the old Gottlieb games had shorter legs in the first place.
    Now I'm thinking I might just drill new holes in the spare legs I have to lower it a few inches.

Has anyone done this before? Any advice on doing it without sacrificing the integrity of the legs? I only need a few inches but I was thinking of using the lower hole as the new upper hole and drilling one more below.

Any thoughts or advice on this situation would be great.

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from Anony:

Has anyone done this before? Any advice on doing it without sacrificing the integrity of the legs? I only need a few inches but I was thinking of using the lower hole as the new upper hole and drilling one more below.

If you really need to use those legs...Put the leg on, the lower hole of leg lines up with the upper hole of cabinet. Now use the upper hole of leg as a guide and drill new hole. Check in the cab before drilling to not hit anything.
    Now add a piece of wood inside cab like factory and spin the bolt plate up to the new hole.

Plan b is put 27" legs on.

Plan c is cut the legs down on lower portion and re-weld them together. Not preferred but easy enough.

-Mike

#3 2 years ago

I'd cut them right at the bottom and then re-weld the nut plate back on ....that is your strongest leg integrity for a heavy machine

#4 2 years ago

I’d lean to sourcing 27” legs (they def exist). If and when you go to sell the next person will likely be put off by the third hole. Also, remove the nut under the front legs and run leveler in all the way, then set pitch to 6.5deg. I dont own a lot of newer sterns but didnt think there was that much of a height difference conpared to B/W’s?

Plan D: dig out basement floor and underpin foundation

#5 2 years ago

Do not drill a new hole in the cabinet. Cut the legs or source some shorter ones. Legs are cheap to replace.

#6 2 years ago

Plan E:
    Buy a new house with a proper pinball walk-in basement

You’ll need it when you buy your 5th game soon

#7 2 years ago

Buy the 27" legs. Period.

#8 2 years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am not willing to drill in the cabinet, only willing to drill the legs. Would love to lower the floor or mess with the ceiling but I don't own this place so have limited options on that front.

Looks like I'll drill out the spare legs I have an order some 27" ones in the meantime.

#9 2 years ago

Just don’t play any games on a Big Guns if you see it.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Just don’t play any games on a Big Guns if you see it.

Ya, Big Guns is one machine to avoid for you!!

#11 2 years ago

And probably don't get a Hercules either....

#12 2 years ago

I too would cut the legs and weld on a new base with a welded nut. But I own a welder.

#13 2 years ago

Drilling out the leg hole will result in a poor fit to the machine cabinet and will likely cause wear to the cabinet. If you need to shorten the leg by 2", cut the leg off at two inches from the bottom. Insert the bottom part inside of the top part and clamp together. Weld or drill and machine screw together.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from iamdrunker:

I too would cut the legs and weld on a new base with a welded nut. But I own a welder.

Quoted from minnesota13:

Drilling out the leg hole will result in a poor fit to the machine cabinet and will likely cause wear to the cabinet. If you need to shorten the leg by 2", cut the leg off at two inches from the bottom. Insert the bottom part inside of the top part and clamp together. Weld or drill and machine screw together.

my buddy has been bugging me for a welding project and I mentioned this to him but he thought it was overkill. Maybe I can convince him to do it because this does sound like the best way.

Any advice for cutting them? They seem pretty hard...

I got it home today and it's a weird one, the back box is so tall and the cabinet itself is about an inch taller than the other ones I'm used to.
    The good thing about my crummy basement is that the floor is so uneven I think I found a spot that gives me an extra inch

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

I'd cut them right at the bottom and then re-weld the nut plate back on ....that is your strongest leg integrity for a heavy machine

I do this all the time- Take a junky set of legs, anti-rust bath, chop them an inch from the bottom and section out 2" to 5" depending on what I'm aiming for. Weld back together on the inside portion and paint and you can't tell it has been done.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Anony:

I use a Dewalt chop saw, goes through them like butter and perfectly square.

#17 2 years ago

Get rid of the dinning room table and put the pins in there.

Seriously. No one eats at the table anymore!

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from Anony:

Use a metal cutting wheel - looks like a thin grinding wheel. Either a 7" blade for a circular saw, a 3" blade on a cut-off saw, or a 14" chop saw.

Chop saw for perfect. If you already have a circular saw or 3" saw it will do just fine, and you will find a bunch of other uses for the blade once you have one.

chop saw (resized).jpgchop saw (resized).jpgcut off saw (resized).jpgcut off saw (resized).jpgmetal blade (resized).jpgmetal blade (resized).jpg
    8 months later
    #19 1 year ago

hey Anony sorry for the Zombie thread bump, but was curious how you made out? Tee'd Off had the 27" legs standard (unlike other system 3s with the 31). I have the same issue with my basement here in Buffalo...damn these people in the 1930s not thinking ahead!

Just curious how the welding went, etc!

#20 1 year ago

I just ran into this issue too. Just buy the 27 inch legs and be done with it. You'll have plenty of room to spare. I got mine from marco

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CABP-LEGS

#21 1 year ago

I've got the same problem in one section of my basement arcade, I bought 27" legs and didn't install the feet on them, works great.

#22 1 year ago

The game CAME with the proper 27" legs, sorry if that wasn't clear....i need like 2" shorter to properly level things.

1 year later
    #23 42 days ago

I purchased a Gottlieb Spirit of 76 with the wrong legs. I wanted them shorter without spending money on different legs.I did not find the proper answer in this thread, so I proceeded logically. The legs were 28.5 inches tall, i put a pencil mark at 27 inches. I cut the bottom of the legs with an M18 grinder, leaving them as long as possible. I used the grinder to cut a slit on the corner up to my pencil mark. I put the leg on a 2x4 block and used a hammer to bend the leg at the pencil mark, one side on top of the other. I used the grinder to cut rough corners and edges. I am using them as is, or later i can drill a hole and add levelers with nuts if needed. I now have my machine ready to play.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-to-lower-a-pin-a-few-inches-new-legs-or-re-drill-leg-holes?hl=brettv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.