4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by AUfan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4606 (resized).JPG
    0Sp-Mi-pinside-picture-02 (resized).png
    Capture (resized).PNG
    IMG_4599 (resized).JPG
    #1 4 years ago

Hello.

When I bought this game I found two lifters on this stack missing/broken off. Looking at the schematic it appears I need two different lengths for proper gaps between the switches. I assume this will apply to games similar to Space Mission? I have a caliper to help select the correct length needed. Just received a parts bag from Steve Young with all the possible lengths (have several projects queued up now!). I've looked in the bottom of the cabinet and didn't find the remains that broke off unfortunately.

They are the middle two on the impulse switch stack, the second stack furthest away from the motor. Here is a picture to help reference those missing. Once I get these in place I think the game will be playable once again for the first time in decades! Currently if I play around with that stack with my hand I can get the machine to start up, but as soon as I hit something that causes the score motor to run the reset sequence takes off again....which makes sense seeing which switches are involved.

IMG_4599 (resized).JPGIMG_4599 (resized).JPG
    #2 4 years ago

Schematic shows them to be the same size as the top one

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
    #3 4 years ago
    Quoted from currieddog:

Schematic shows them to be the same size as the top one

Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me but does the second from the bottom appear to be slightly longer than the top two?

Based on this I can have the top two and tiny one at the bottom but that second would need to be slightly longer?

--or-- am I being too careful and a slightly difference in length wouldn't even matter for this application?

Thanks for the quick response!

#4 4 years ago

Hi EJS
    I would take Nylon-Spacers of same length - mount and then adjust --- I took currieddog 's PNG and drew "brown" the moved blades - take them as they happen to be (after mounting the Nylon-Spacers) - but "my green" markings are the stationary blades - adjust these so the switches are open when the motor is at rest - and so the switches are all closed when the turning cam actuates the stack.
    In Your picture (post-1) I see some "brackets ?" - thick "stops" - You may also have to adust them.
    +/- Lucky You --- no three-bladed Make-and-Brake-Switch - just four "Normally-Open-Switches". Greetings Rolf

0Sp-Mi-pinside-picture-02 (resized).png0Sp-Mi-pinside-picture-02 (resized).png
    #5 4 years ago

rolf_martin_062 currieddog thank you both. I have settled on one size that I will attempt for both switch blades and with a few drinks and F bombs hopefully can have them mounted on my switch stack this evening. I have some spare blades just in case but prefer to use the existing on the machine. Going to try the hammer/ crushing approach to mounting them rather than melting them via iron since I don't have anything that I can bring down in temperature enough to not vaporize the tips.

Updates to come soon hopefully!

#6 4 years ago

Good luck EJS, you can do it. Do the drinks first..

#7 4 years ago

Alright I think this switch stack is ready for use!

So I found it really difficult to get the lifter to attach to the existing blade from the machine. Reason being the hole is much bigger than the pip on the lifter. However I found the extra blades I got from PBR fit in snug and a little help from the butane torch really locked them in there. So then I had to add new contacts, glad I bought those as well. Only down side is they don't quite line up the same way as the others did. Because the lifters are "inside" more, I needed to SLIGHTLY trim back the mate of the switch contact so it wouldn't bind up on the new lifter.

It's not the prettiest fix but it works. All in all the machine is a bit rough but I can't remember playing a Space Mission in a LONG time. Plus my buddy and I like Steve Kordek games and have fond memories of him at Expos years ago.

Haven't tested the fix yet but need to stop getting distracted from another PF swap so back to a different game tonight. Mechanically this fix appears solid.

IMG_4606 (resized).JPGIMG_4606 (resized).JPG
    #8 4 years ago

nice job...... maybe she'll fire up.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-to-identify-switch-lifter-length-on-space-mission-impulse-stack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.