Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WIP.jpg
Deep-Cleaning-4.jpg
IMG_0355.JPG
IMG_0354.JPG
#1 11 years ago

I picked up a pretty nasty WCS and have nearly cleared the playfield. It's got caked-on grime all over. What's the best way to remove that?

Novus 2 + a rag wasn't making a lot of progress. I thought about using a Magic Eraser, a drill attachment + Novus 2 or even lightly sanding it.

Here are a few photos of the grime.

IMG_0354.JPGIMG_0354.JPG IMG_0355.JPGIMG_0355.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Magic Eraser with rubbing alcohol works for me. Go easy.
Then I recommend the Treasure Cove polish kit. It got your NBAFB playfield shiny and oh so fast.
If you are going to rebuild those Jets, you can borrow my staple gun to reattach the lamp leads.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from wilsonza:

Magic Eraser, a drill attachment + Novus 2

Ugh.....what Sealclubber said. doing that you might as well just set the thing on fire....

Is all that crud ground down into the clear? =\

#4 11 years ago

When the dirt is really thick on a PF, you can start with formular 409 or else you will blow through lots of rags with novus 2.

#5 11 years ago

How much do you clear off of the PF before polishing with the TC kit?

I'm down to just the posts but it looks like I've got a lot of ME work. The dirt was really caked on...

I don't think it's ground into the clear but it's really caked all of the PF. The ball troughs are pretty nasty too. The cabinet seems relatively nice but a lot of the metal has corrosion. The owner said it had been in his parents restaurant for some time.

Is this normal wear and tear or did I luck into something a little rougher than routed machines?

#6 11 years ago

Novus 2 is an abrasive, not a cleaner. If you need to get more aggressive ME is less abrasvie than Novus 2 and more effective. On the other hand...

I would start less abrasive and then move on as needed. As barakandl said use Formula 409 (or ZEP Heavy Duty Citrus Cleaner). Wet your rag and wipe enough so it doesn't drip. Let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe again.

Repeat a few times if needed.

You'll be amazed how much stuff you can get off without using the equivalent of 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper (i.e. - Novus 2).

If needed then move on to ME and alcohol.

#7 11 years ago

hope you got this project for pennies on the dollar.

#8 11 years ago

I should add that I've been experimenting lately with pre-wax cleaners and have had very good luck removing grit like that without getting abrasive.

Use a product like Collinite Liquid Sapphire PreWax Cleaner (for lacquer or enamel, there's a different product for auto clear), which is a non-abrasive cleaner that will remove ground in dirt, film, discoloration and wax stains. This works best with an orbital buffer and a white polishing pad.

Before and after photo (and the before photo was after thoroughly cleaning the playfield):

Deep-Cleaning-4.jpgDeep-Cleaning-4.jpg

#9 11 years ago

i like high % alcohol, or nalphtha and mf. use white scotch pads on some surfaces

#10 11 years ago

So far, baby wipes and elbow grease seem to be doing fairly well. I had to resort to the ME in a few places and there's still quite a bit of grit that still needs to come off.

I have another question - how much is typically removed for a cleaning like this? This is my first project of this magnitude.

WIP.jpgWIP.jpg

#11 11 years ago

Many cleaners will remove the crud without using an abrasive.

I completely strip both sides of the playfield. After 19 years, the game just deserves it. Plays so much better with everything clean, rebuilt and tweaked!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-tips-for-cleaning-caked-on-grime-off-of-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.