(Topic ID: 57793)

Need Switch Help (CPU board) on Batman Forever

By angus

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

The problem I have is the game wasn't always seeing the balls in the batcave. So I started going through the diagnostics and using the pinwiki. When I do the row test check of disconnecting connectors CN8 and CN10 and run a jumper from CN8 to CN10 with a diode I find an issue. From pins 7 and 9 on CN8 and going to pins 3,5 and 6 on CN10 it usually doesn't show a closed switch. Works fine on all the other pins. And I can go from all the other CN8 pins to CN10 3,5 and 6 and get switch closures. So while I see this I'm not sure where the problem lies. The logic probe tells me all these pins on CN8 have pulses, and CN10 has highs. I would appreciate a little help here.

#2 10 years ago

Still trying to figure this out if you can help.

#3 10 years ago

That is an odd one. First I would check the CPU board for battery damage.

While a logic probe shows that you have a pulsed signal it does not tell you the quality of the signal. Best would be to check all of the column drives wich an oscilloscope. If you don't have one test each with a DMM in DC mode. Since it is a pulsed signal you will read something less than 12 volts, but what is more important is that all columns read about the same voltage.

If the 6821 is in a socket, reseat it.

#4 10 years ago

A CPU component based issue isn't going to mix issues. Either the same row or column will have the same symptoms or they won't have any. So my guess here is you're having intermittent issues with the jumper setup you're using, or the connector header is damaged, badly oxidized or has bad solder joints.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#5 10 years ago

I had issues in my Batcave with pin not recognizing a ball, but it was more related to the switches under the cover. The 2nd switch did not always get pushed in enough to recognize the ball. I adjusted the switches in that area and I haven't had any more problems.

Probably wishful thinking to think it could be that simple though.

#6 10 years ago

Well it isn't just my jumper setup since the same thing happens during play, and also in test mode. It is very repeatable with the same three switch positions giving the same intermittent problem (although mostly they don't register). Without having any missed triggers when I use a column or row. I reflowed the solder on the connector. I don't have an oscilloscope, so I guess I'll read some voltages.

Can't be the switch positioning since it happens without the connectors to the switches.

1 week later
#7 10 years ago

Finally got back to this. Still happening, but I have more info. When I jumper it and fire a switch, they usually fire instantly. But from CN8P7 pins 3,5,6 on CN10 don't register. But from CN8P9 pins 3,5,6 on CN10 will register, but I have to make contact for about a second. From the other pins they are all instant. But from CNP4 CN10P1 is also slow to respond.

Measuring voltages they all look the same except CN8P5 which is 3.8v versus 4.32 on the rest. The voltage at the top of R101 is .8 volts and the rest are at .49v. So while they aren't all the same, it doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Nothing looks corroded. Continuity seems great. Resistances look good. Didn't see any shorting capacitors when I checked continuity. 6821 is soldered in so I couldn't reseat it.

#8 10 years ago

If you've reflowed the solder on both connectors I would then clean the pins (again both connectors) with a good contact cleaner like Deoxit (after spraying, slide the connector on and off a few times). Just a little bit of resistance (which will often just show up as just a slightly duller color) at the connector will cause bizarre readings.

Radio Shack sells a small can of Deoxit.

2 years later
#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I had issues in my Batcave with pin not recognizing a ball, but it was more related to the switches under the cover. The 2nd switch did not always get pushed in enough to recognize the ball. I adjusted the switches in that area and I haven't had any more problems.
Probably wishful thinking to think it could be that simple though.

Hi. I'm going nuts trying to adjust these three switches in the Batcave. If I bend them enough for the ball to close the switches they push on the balls enough to move them back up the rail and open up the switch again, mainly the 3rd one. Can you please give me any hints, advice, or pictures of how you were able to adjust your switches to work reliably?

Thank you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-switch-help-cpu-board-on-batman-forever and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.