(Topic ID: 224733)

Need some tech help (Step Unit and Score Reel)

By PatrickATX

7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Tuukka
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180904_222712[1] (resized).jpg
match-unit-a (resized).jpg
schematic-b (resized).jpg
schematic-a (resized).jpg

#1 7 months ago

I have a couple things I need schooling on. I've got a 1962 Williams Coquette (2 player)

1) This Match Unit is missing a coil. But can you tell me if this assembly should have a second coil and some switches. I see the credit assembly is basically the same and intact, but I don't have enough loose wires for another coil and switches here. Can anyone explain the theory behind this assembly and if it was modified for different uses? match-unit-a (resized).jpg

2) What do the numbers 0-9 (not the color codes) on the schematic under the Number Match Unit correspond to?schematic-a (resized).jpg

3) The 1st player 0-9 Drum unit has 10 wires called out on the schematic. But the drum unit itself has 15+4 wires soldered onto terminals. Any advice on how to make sense of the wires and terminals on the drum unit?schematic-b (resized).jpg

Thanks guys,

Patrick

#2 7 months ago

Here is a picture of my match unit. (1959) Williams golden bells. There should be 20+ wires. One set for the match and one set for the lights.

No second coil. It is basically a continuous stepper. (always going the same direction).

20180904_222712[1] (resized).jpg
#3 7 months ago

The numbers in match unit schematic refer to backbox match feature 0-9 lamps.

Score unit has some switches (for "0" and "9" position detect and possibly EOS) and a coil besides the disc, and the extra wires go to these. Look at the corresponding score reel for player 2.

#4 7 months ago

Great info thanks. So that match unit chassis can be a one way or two way depending on the game and use. Nice to know.

For the scoring reel, I was trying to understand the schematic. I have mapped out all 3 switches and coil on the reel, but having trouble putting it together with the schematic. The trouble is the schematic does not treat the switches, coils and terminals on this unit as a single unit. Stuff is spread out and I was hoping I'd just misunderstood the schematic.

#5 7 months ago

It is easier to draw the schematic with logical functions, than trying to keep all the connections in one unit together. In later Williams games, there was a section in the manual, that described every relay and unit by their switches. But in 1962 they only included the schematic.

Score drum unit switches were usually labeled in 60's schematics as "0-9 EOS SW", "0-9 ZERO SW" and "9 D.U". Try finding the 10 point relay coil in schematic and see what energizes it. The relay of course will operate when any 10 point switch in playfield closes, but also when 1 point is scored and the 0-9 drum is at 9.

It takes a while to get familiar with EM operation and schematics, but you will get there. Good luck!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 269.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 114.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Hardware
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 26.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Great American Pinball
$ 25.00
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 839.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside