Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bat123.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_1068.jpg
IMG_1063.jpg
IMG_1054.jpg
DSC01846.jpg

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

For BDK, you need to set Lucius to easy and Batmobile ramp to hard. 'One billion' shots to the center ramp solved and much more balanced.

Couldn't agree more

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I am also considering RBION

...it's nice to have a game that's so off beat or complex that you can find new things you don't see every time you play.

This is RBION in a nutshell.

#53 8 years ago

...it's nice to have a game that's so off beat or complex that you can find new things you don't see every time you play.

Quoted from LesManley:This is RBION in a nutshell.

I have a friend with RBION and I'm going to play it tomorrow.

I've seen quite a few of them for sale lately. Also, I am not dead set on buying a pin at the moment, but if I see a great deal I can buy.

#54 8 years ago

I don't know if it's supposed to be some kind of pun or a weird oversight or maybe the designer read half of a page of Batman backstory and threw together a concept, or what...

The Scarecrow/Jonathan Crane crane is just too much - I can't take it seriously. Dude's name is crane, so you stick a crane in the game. I feel like that's about how much thought went into everything in that game.

It's still fun though, definitely an entry level game that's easy to get into with clear objectives. The art is decent and the sound and callouts are well-integrated.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I sold Lord of the Rings because I hated the long ball times.

I sold your LOTR for the same reason. Still have the black SM and MB you sold me though.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

For BDK, you need to set Lucius to easy and Batmobile ramp to hard. 'One billion' shots to the center ramp solved and much more balanced.

Agreed on Lucius, (way too tedious) but curious as to how many people have pulled off the Billion ramp trick. My guess: not many.

#57 8 years ago

Does anyone know what happens if BDK is set to the "Directors Cut"? I just found it while changing my settings. Also "Home" setting.
Thanks

#58 8 years ago

Also I can't find the "Lucius" setting anywhere...

(help)

#59 8 years ago

Lucius refers to the Bat Gadget difficulty. The Gadgets are collected via the mini playfield until you get all of them to collect Lucius.

I bought a BDK NIB back in 2010. Fun game. I kept it for about 3 years.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Also I can't find the "Lucius" setting anywhere...

(help)

I don't have my game immediately accessible, but look in the game specific settings and mini playfield is what I think is what is used for Lucius, or what Chris said with the gadgets.

Good luck.

#61 8 years ago

Just joined the club today!

bat123.jpgbat123.jpg

#62 8 years ago

"Mini-Playfield Difficulty" would be the setting for Lucius then. - Many thanks guys.

If someone could explain what the Directors Cut is that would be appreciated also. DMD animations maybe?

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Agreed on Lucius, (way too tedious) but curious as to how many people have pulled off the Billion ramp trick. My guess: not many.

I've seen that, but I'm not a tournament guy and I'm not that good. I shoot the blinky lights and stuff happens and I drink my beer in between balls.

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I shoot the blinky lights and stuff happens and I drink my beer in between balls.

That would be a deep rule set in my house.

#65 8 years ago

BDK is fine in a large collection, but in a small collection it will get boring pretty quickly, especially if you are a decent player. The game's ruleset is not very deep. There's a lot to do, but unfortunately a lot of it is redundant (like the modes, as was mentioned previously). The game is a modder's dream, but if you're not much into that then there's not a lot of game there. The crane is very fun, but a cool toy doesn't make a game for me. There's also no flow in the game--the only shot on the playfield to return the ball quickly is the right orbit, which you will actually be going for very little. So that's something to keep in mind as well. If you are getting bored of something like TSPP already, I can't imagine BDK will stick around that long in your collection.

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from akm:

There's also no flow in the game--the only shot on the playfield to return the ball quickly is the right orbit, which you will actually be going for very little.

I have to disagree with this. I think the game has unique flow, but it's not like ACDC or Kiss (games I think have great flow in that shots feel good and return to the flippers).

Pretty much every shot in BDK is backhandable and achieved by either flipper. Not a lot of games are like that. It's not stop and go, but more of a hybrid between crazy speed and short pauses. You'll be in multiball a lot, so it makes sense.

The right orbit is necessary if you want Batpod multiball. If you hit the orbit just right, you can bounce pass and keep hitting the orbit shot (like JM, another Gomez game). When you hit 3-4 of those in a row, it's pretty damn awesome.

Finally, when set up properly, and if you hit the Joker standup target just right, the ball rockets back to the flipper like the raptor kick in JP. It's not a kickback, but feels like one and very satisfying when it happens.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I have to disagree with this. I think the game has unique flow, but it's not like ACDC or Kiss (games I think have great flow in that shots feel good and return to the flippers).

Our definition of "flow" is quite different then.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

Pretty much every shot in BDK is backhandable and achieved by either flipper. Not a lot of games are like that.

Actually, a lot of games are like that. AC\DC, 24, Avatar, TRS, RBION--just to name a quick handful off the top of my head.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

It's not stop and go, but more of a hybrid between crazy speed and short pauses.

If "Stop and Go Gameplay" was a definition in a dictionary, a picture of BDK would sit next to it.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

You'll be in multiball a lot, so it makes sense.

I suppose the playfield works for multiball, but that's an issue I see with BDK--you will be in multiball a lot, and mostly everything else is moot. Not that any multi-ball outside of than Bat Signal or Gotham is all that interesting anyway.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

The right orbit is necessary if you want Batpod multiball.

Sure, if you don't mind a small-scoring mode.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

If you hit the orbit just right, you can bounce pass and keep hitting the orbit shot (like JM, another Gomez game). When you hit 3-4 of those in a row, it's pretty damn awesome.

Are you sure you're not thinking of a live catch? You hit the right orbit, then live catch with the left flipper (stop the ball dead in its tracks). If you "bounce pass", you are letting the ball bounce off the left flipper over to the right. At that speed, the ball is liable to go SDTM, or bounce over to the right flipper far too high to get control.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

Finally, when set up properly, and if you hit the Joker standup target just right, the ball rockets back to the flipper like the raptor kick in JP. It's not a kickback, but feels like one and very satisfying when it happens.

I'm not sure I'd call this a "feature", but OK. To each their own.

The Joker drop should be risky if it's a fast playing BDK regardless. More so if the plastic protectors up top are still there, it's liable to come back faster.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

I did want to address this from the previous page--I agree with the Lucius playfield, but "fixing" the 'One billion' shot is like a solution in search of a problem. I'm certain very, very few have managed to get the 1 billion shot. It takes a crazy amount of skill. I was never able to do it on my game, although I tried frequently. On a side note, it's not too hard to reach a billion without using that method.

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from akm:

On a side note, it's not too hard to reach a billion without using that method.

How? Sounds like you'd be chopping wood all night.

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

How? Sounds like you'd be chopping wood all night.

The key is the 3X super skill shot. Normally on the plunge, you can pick 2X for the Joker, Scarecrow, or Batmobile. But, if you hold the left flipper in, you can do a Super Skill Shot. Hit either the Joker, Batmobile ramp or the Scarecrow scoop to make that specific shot 3X for the rest of the ball. The standard playfield shot multipliers will stack on top, bringing you to 4X (and potentially 5X? I forget if there is a final roving multiplier). If you do it right, Joker and Scarecrow Super Jackpots can be worth 40 to 50 million. It adds up pretty quickly.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Are you sure you're not thinking of a live catch? You hit the right orbit, then live catch with the left flipper (stop the ball dead in its tracks). If you "bounce pass", you are letting the ball bounce off the left flipper over to the right. At that speed, the ball is liable to go SDTM, or bounce over to the right flipper far too high to get control.

Nope, bounce pass. Works awesome. The most I've hit is 4 loops in a row which is pretty fun.

As for the rest of your points, different strokes.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Nope, bounce pass. Works awesome. The most I've hit is 4 loops in a row which is pretty fun.

If it works on your game, that's cool. I'm still trying to figure out in my head what it looks like visually though, because you would be bounce passing from the left flipper to the right from a full right orbit shot (unless your left railing is bent in and feeding the ball to the right flipper, which it should not be doing).

Quoted from Mudflaps:

As for the rest of your points, different strokes.

Agreed.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from akm:

The key is the 3X super skill shot. Normally on the plunge, you can pick 2X for the Joker, Scarecrow, or Batmobile. But, if you hold the left flipper in, you can do a Super Skill Shot. Hit either the Joker, Batmobile ramp or the Scarecrow scoop to make that specific shot 3X for the rest of the ball. The standard playfield shot multipliers will stack on top, bringing you to 4X (and potentially 5X? I forget if there is a final roving multiplier). If you do it right, Joker and Scarecrow Super Jackpots can be worth 40 to 50 million. It adds up pretty quickly.

I agree the 3x route can be big points, but I don't think it adds up to a Billion that quickly. It takes some skill to keep earning those Joker SJPs. (Make sure to get the X lit for that shot too. and yes there is a roving multiplier, but that is a lot of work)

Once the ball is over, that triple gravy train is done since the 3x only works once per shooter lane insert (can't triple up on Joker every ball). Also if the 3x shot is missed, then there is no shooter lane bonus light awarded. So on a standard 3 ball game the double bonus available on ball 3 is forfeited if any super skill shot is missed.

There is a nice risk reward with the 3x method, but in tourney play, 2x via a plunge and the 2x bonus is the much safer bet IMO.

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from akm:

If you are getting bored of something like TSPP already, I can't imagine BDK will stick around that long in your collection.

I'm not bored with any of my games, especially not Tspp. It's more to add another different game just to have a wider collection.

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from akm:

If it works on your game, that's cool. I'm still trying to figure out in my head what it looks like visually though, because you would be bounce passing from the left flipper to the right from a full right orbit shot (unless your left railing is bent in and feeding the ball to the right flipper, which it should not be doing).

Agreed.

Mudflaps, are you lifting the right flipper to pass the ball back to the left flipper after it bounces from left to the right?

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm not bored with any of my games, especially not Tspp. It's more to add another different game just to have a wider collection.

Ah, ok, I must have misinterpreted something you said earlier on in the thread.

Quoted from pinballcorpse:

I agree the 3x route can be big points, but I don't think it adds up to a Billion that quickly. It takes some skill to keep earning those Joker SJPs. (Make sure to get the X lit for that shot too. and yes there is a roving multiplier, but that is a lot of work)

To be fair, you will ideally have Scarecrow stacked on top of Joker, a mode will probably be running, hopefully you manage to get the add-a-ball mid-multiball, etc., etc. And then maybe you'll start and then milk Bat Signal after that, and then go back to working on another Scarecrow when you're done with Bat Signal (hopefully you haven't drained by then, but it's definitely not uncommon to play that many multiball modes on a single ball in BDK).

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Ah, ok, I must have misinterpreted something you said earlier on in the thread.

To be fair, you will ideally have Scarecrow stacked on top of Joker, a mode will probably be running, hopefully you manage to get the add-a-ball mid-multiball, etc., etc. And then maybe you'll start and then milk Bat Signal after that, and then go back to working on another Scarecrow when you're done with Bat Signal (hopefully you haven't drained by then, but it's definitely not uncommon to play that many multiball modes on a single ball in BDK).

Oh I get the strategy. I was just saying a Billion is not that easy to come by on factory settings

#77 8 years ago

One correction, If you get the 3x super skill on a shot and then get the shot multiplier with the green x, that shot becomes 6X. I used to call that "getting all sixed up"! 6x super jackpots are a good way to blow this game up. I'm also a little skeptical of Billion point games. I owned it for several years and my best was only in the 300-400M range.

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I'm also a little skeptical of Billion point games. I owned it for several years and my best was only in the 300-400M range.

I've seen akm do it on Batman and Spiderman.

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Mudflaps, are you lifting the right flipper to pass the ball back to the left flipper after it bounces from left to the right?

You hit the right orbit shot with the left flipper, it orbits and the returns to the left flipper. Allow the ball to bounce to the right flipper and hit the ball... if timed just right, you hit the orbit shot with the right flipper. Rinse/repeat. Same as on JM. As stated, I can usually do 2-3 orbits passes like that before I lose the ball.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

I've seen akm do it on Batman and spiderman.

FWIW, 1 Billion is easier on S-M than BDK

Again the argument is not *if* 1 Billion is achievable, it was the "it's not that hard to reach a Billion" remark by akm that caught our attention.

If akm and others are routinely scoring that high on BDK, then fantastic!

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Does anyone know what happens if BDK is set to the "Directors Cut"? I just found it while changing my settings.

Not sure if other people are interested but I sure was so I called Stern this morning.

The Directors Cut is a file in the software for any extra code the Stern guys wanted to put in. But for whatever reasons didn't make the final version. Other games might also have this file. Sometimes theres code in the file and sometimes not. He had no details specific to BDK but suggested I try it and see.

#82 8 years ago

Its a fun game and with your collection it would fit nicely

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

You hit the right orbit shot with the left flipper, it orbits and the returns to the left flipper. Allow the ball to bounce to the right flipper and hit the ball... if timed just right, you hit the orbit shot with the right flipper. Rinse/repeat. Same as on JM. As stated, I can usually do 2-3 orbits passes like that before I lose the ball.

Ahhh, OK, I understand now. Definitely not something I'd try personally--too random for my tastes. Still cool that it works for you on your game though.

1 month later
#84 8 years ago

I just purchased a package deal which includes a BDK (along with IM and Avatar Pro). First thing for me to is add LEDs and apparently after reading this thread find a new sound package .bin. So, can anyone point me in the direction for an LED list/map for this game and who I should contact to get a new .bin with better music/call outs?

Thanks!

1 month later
#85 8 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I just purchased a package deal which includes a BDK (along with IM and Avatar Pro). First thing for me to is add LEDs and apparently after reading this thread find a new sound package .bin. So, can anyone point me in the direction for an LED list/map for this game and who I should contact to get a new .bin with better music/call outs?
Thanks!

Yes. this for me also.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-some-opinions-about-batman-tdk/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.