(Topic ID: 139866)

Need some input from WoZ owners or who owned one.

By Bishop

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MT45
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

448465.jpg
image.jpg

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

I'm thinking of purchasing a NIB WoZ ECLE "Rescue Edition". Long story short, it's an Aussie only limited edition. 22 ever made. Anyways, for those of you who have or had one, are there many issues with this machine in general? It seems there are quite a few different things written about it. Lighting, bumper area paint, etc... Any tips, info would be greatly appreciated before I spend $13k.

#2 4 years ago

My machine was made in March of 2014. The only real issues I have had involve the loosening of the castle doors. Its not a hard fix, but the playfield does need to be removed.

WOZ has a ton going on and I mean a ton.

I still think the game is amazing.

#3 4 years ago

Had mine since December 2013. You won't regret getting it - most loved machine especially by non-pinheads in my collection. Depth of rules means you'll never get sick of playing it either. Most of the early issues are now fixed, and the RE has addressed these. Customer support is fine even from the USA if anything ever did crop up. Go for it!

#4 4 years ago

I bought my NIB WOZ ECLE back in March of this year and it has been pretty solid. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

#5 4 years ago

make sure flipper assembly's are tight ( coil stop) check the light board at the witch shot flipper as its not touching the flipper base . mine was and was causing funky disco lights when you hit the flipper.
my auto launch coil was loose, monkey was hitting the castle door.

#6 4 years ago

Had a ruby red for about a year now.

Issues out of the box:
Witch shaft was rubbing on optos...easy fix, bent opto bracket into correct place
Witch plate not registering hits....easy fix, adjusted position of switches to make it more sensitive.
Coil stops coming loose on flipper assemblies and falling off....i check these frequently still, i have one that comes loose a bunch, considering lock tight
Lights were acting odd, traced it to a loose connector, no issues since

Woz is a fun game, it does have a lot going on, but im kind of bored of it now. Its all about stacking, so to score big, you need to coordinate your modes. I like to go for the witch hurry ups and rainbow targets, and emerald city multi ball seems to get lit by itself since the switches are in the middle of the plaiyfield. Then when i have the witch lit for fireball frenzy, ill lock my last ball for emerald city and start that. Once that goes, a ball usually ends up in the crystal ball which either turns all the lights on, all of the off, makes the flippers not be able to be held, and in turn doubles scoring. Ill try and get fireball frenzy going with my multiball, which is insanely hard when all the lights r off. Its super hard to spin the house as well with a multiball going without dumping all your balls. Ive only done that a few times.

My high score is 800k or something like that. Im on 3 ball on factory software settings with all my outlanes at their easiest setting. Its a great novelty, and a marvel of engineering, im just kind of bored with it. Ive done everything but some where over the rainbow, and at this point i dont really care if i do. This machine is borrowed so it will be gone soon. I cant wait for the lawlor jjp machine so they can do some wacky stuff with the screen and technology instead of being handcuffed by a license.

My rating would be 7.5/10

#7 4 years ago

7.5 out of 10 is pretty harsh...I think WOZ is easily a top 10 game

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from jamieflowers:

7.5 out of 10 is pretty harsh...I think WOZ is easily a top 10 game

Alright, alright, 8/10, but only because of the witch kill shot combo.

#9 4 years ago

I had minor gameplay issues with mine when I had one, like the witch. Out of the box, you had to smack the shit out of the witch and you still wern't guaranteed a hit. A little adjustment to the rocker switches, made it register spot on. Never a problem again.

My monkey would lag some, but he always seemed to do his job. Ruby flippers flew off. I had light board problems, but gave up the game because it was the 5 volt version. I figured screw it.

With all the said, and despite it's many critics, it's a very fun game and I would own another someday.

#10 4 years ago

How about playfield wear?

#11 4 years ago

There should be a stamp on the side of the playfield indicating if it is a Bader or Mirco playfield. Some Bader playfields have had issues with paint and clear separation from the substrate. They do offer Mylar for those areas so hopefully that stops the issue arising.

#12 4 years ago

Here is a playfield marked by Mircoimage.jpg

#13 4 years ago

The GI lighting is still weak as far as i know. I think they had the playfields and light boards fixed when they sent those machines down under. WOZ is a fun game. I hope you played it a bunch and know you like it before laying out that much coin.

#14 4 years ago

Iv'e had the clear coat chipping all around the VUK kickout. I also had to replace an opto board. The crystal ball fell out onto the playfield. The pinball kept brushing it when It went around the crystal ball ramp. I had to hot glue it back onto it's base. I think I have the issue resolved not but every once in awhile I have to reconnect the little LCD screen connector, it vibrates lose. I also had to bend the metal lane guide by the pop bumpers to prevent more metal shavings on the playfield.

I still enjoy the game but I don't see owning it much longer. The rules are deep and it seems I will never ever beat it. However I'm at a point where I don't really care much. The sound effects drown out each other, when there are several modes going on at the same time. It's like an orchestra of noises overlapping each other.

#15 4 years ago

Owned mine since around June 2014. No playfield wear issues. I had the monkey magnet sensor go, and it's original mounting location needed to be moved. I am on my second GI light board which will need to be replaced (started acting up the other day). Replaced my castle playfield lock switch. I have around 2000 plays on it so it gets played. Overall I wouldn't say I had any more problems than any other new game would face (not sure on the average component failure rate out of the box).

The light boards are another thing, though they have been supporting them 100%. All the GI in my game are an older revision, not the 5v but not the newest revision either. So, right now I have one current revision GI board in my game, soon to be two. Either way, two boards over a 15 month period isn't bad.

It's a great game. I think to master it you really need to break down each mode and master it before you can attempt to string them all together to reach SOTR.

#16 4 years ago

With most of the problems the game is still playable so don't worry to much. As long as you know how to solder and screw you be OK with WOZ as long as you can reach Frank at JJP. WOZ is an awesome machine and never ceases to amaze me. I like it so much I just ordered a Hobbit too. There's just nothing else I'd buy right now - the dot matrix of other machines just seems so outdated now.

#17 4 years ago

Had mine since 2012
Love the game! I think it's one of the best ! Many things to do. Yes i do and did have problems. Many of the same above. I still recommend. If u like tz it's a modern tz on Steroids.

#18 4 years ago

I got mine in July of 2015 ruby red. I fell really lucky the only issue I had was my crystal ball didn't work. JJp was very cool and it got fixed right away. The game is like no other inside and out. Well worth the price for what you get. Amazing and very beautiful game.

#19 4 years ago

I've had my issues but love the game and setting up stacks is just a blast.

#20 4 years ago

Had mine for a couple of years now and replaced CPU Board and added extra spots to brighten up the dark play field. In all honesty I can't get into the game . I would probably move it on . With a large variety of pinballs at hand it's the least played . I also bailed out of TH .

#21 4 years ago

I hope you played it enough to know you really like it. There are two camps. Those people who love the play of WOZ and those who feel it is really boring with no satisfying shots. Make sure you are in the first camp before you shell out all that cash.

#22 4 years ago

I have a woz ecle. I haven't had any problems with it. I'm a fairly new pinball player and find that I play my stle more because it plays fast and it's easy. WOZ has a "deeper ruleset" as they say here on pinside--you have to hone your pinball skills to play it well.

#23 4 years ago

Bishop, I'm about to pull the trigger on a RR. Like you I have my concerns but I don't see this pin having any more issues than other NIB's (price sux). Once you've played it your either hooked or not...every pin is repetitive, with so much going on in this pin it is far less repetitive than most.
If you go with it that's another two for the Hawkesbury! AMH is heading our way soon as well!

#24 4 years ago

IMHO, if I was interested in a Woz, I would either look at a Hobbit, or JJP#3

WOZ is now two years old, and one would hope that JJP has learned something from WoZ that will make the next games much more fun

if you do decide to go for a WoZ, push for a discount, I am sure that the aussie distributor would want to move his remaining stock out the door

#25 4 years ago

Thanks to all of you who have responded so far. I have played the game a few times at an expo we had last year and I was absolutely blown away. @PopBumoerPete, unless you know something that I don't, I doubt that the distributor will give any discount. Does anyone know if JJ is providing a playfield protector for free? I could have sworn I saw that mentioned somewhere.

#26 4 years ago

If you buy a playfield protector with your game they will install it for free during production of the game. If you are buying a machine that is already made then that free install is not available.

The free install is a great deal b/c else you'd have to strip the playfield to install it yourself (which is quite a task).

#27 4 years ago

I have a Down Under LE. Had a few loose-screw type issues out of the box. All fixed within half an hour. One red slipper snapped off the top of one of the flippers after a few hundred games. Not another problem of any description since. No playfield wear. 542 games played. I have all new Sterns as well, so not a JJP fanboy. Looks, feels and plays like it just came out of the box.

#28 4 years ago

The early WOZ's had LED board problems, they were dim and unreliable. This, rightly so, copped a lot of bad press and has left people to question the reliability of WOZs

Later model WOZ's were built with an updated 7.5 V LED board (the earlier models were 5V) which seems to have fixed the reliability problems and improved the GI brightness (although it still is a bit dim)

As far as I know all the Ruby Red (RR) WOZ's have the 7.5 volt LED boards and so do the Australian Rescue edition which you are looking at. I have a RR and it has the 7.5 V LED boards.

With WOZ, if a LED board goes dead all LEDs next in the chain go dead too. You can bypass it quite easily by moving a jumper cable & then in diagnostics tell it to ignore said board, then all LEDs will work except those located on the bypassed board

To me WOZ is by far the best pin I've played. My other 3 pins lay dormant as I play WOZ daily and am still loving it even after many months and 1500 plays. I'm still hearing new call outs.

I don't love the theme but do enjoy how you have the the good witch, munchins, wizard etc that help you out & then the wicked witch with her crystal ball modes which can stuff you up big time ie weak flippers, no hold flippers, no lights etc ... imagine this in a stacked multiball

Another software upgrade (v5) is coming which, by the sounds of it, will improve gameplay even more

#29 4 years ago

I bought a WOZ Standard last year, NIB. Game has been rock solid. Absolutely love the game...it's a blast to play.

#30 4 years ago

My WOZLE arrived in early April 2014 it has been trouble free only issues at all were a couple of loose cables after over a year of play easily fixed. It looks and plays like it did on day one awesome game.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

Had mine since 2012

Production games didnt start shipping till May 2013

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Bishop:

Thanks to all of you who have responded so far. I have played the game a few times at an expo we had last year and I was absolutely blown away. @PopBumoerPete, unless you know something that I don't, I doubt that the distributor will give any discount. Does anyone know if JJ is providing a playfield protector for free? I could have sworn I saw that mentioned somewhere.

Why yes, I do know something you don't know
But I also know to ask for a discount from a listed price when a game has been sitting in a warehouse for some time

#33 4 years ago

I am also very interested in this game, but nervous about its long-term durability. I realize service and parts replacement is done rapidly, and have no problem trusting JJP, but what is the longer-term outlook? Will service/parts (tons of bespoke assemblies and PCBs) still be around in 5, 10, 15 years or longer (even if JJP isn't). My biggest fear is losing a circuit board and not being able to replace due to no NOS inventory, and not being able to repair because an IC or other semiconductor has been obsoleted by the manufacturer.

We largely circumvent these issues with B/W stuff because they were in business so long that there is still a NOS inventory as well as the fact that there are enough of the old games in use for third-party companies like PPS to make a profit building and selling parts. If something happened to JJP I'm not sure that would be the case.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

I am also very interested in this game, but nervous about its long-term durability. I realize service and parts replacement is done rapidly, and have no problem trusting JJP, but what is the longer-term outlook? Will service/parts (tons of bespoke assemblies and PCBs) still be around in 5, 10, 15 years or longer (even if JJP isn't). My biggest fear is losing a circuit board and not being able to replace due to no NOS inventory, and not being able to repair because an IC or other semiconductor has been obsoleted by the manufacturer.
We largely circumvent these issues with B/W stuff because they were in business so long that there is still a NOS inventory as well as the fact that there are enough of the old games in use for third-party companies like PPS to make a profit building and selling parts. If something happened to JJP I'm not sure that would be the case.

Life is too short to have fear...if you can swing it, take the plunge and enjoy it. Your pinball soul with thank you!

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Life is too short to have fear...if you can swing it, take the plunge and enjoy it. Your pinball soul with thank you!

Well, damn, this is probably exactly what I need to hear (Mrs. Thermionic has been saying pretty much the exact same thing - you guys are bad news for my wallet), so I guess I just need to lighten up and be a little less "anal"!

#36 4 years ago

I have an ECLE and have had a great time playing it. It has the 7.5v boards and one of them failed early on. A replacement was sent to me quickly and swapping it out was a 10 minute job. Solid as can be since then with no issues or playfield wear. This game is great fun!

#37 4 years ago

In my opinion nothing stands up to WOZ. I sold mine - it was a early run, had the 5v boards. The only problems I had were a few led's locked up or died, and the castle doors wouldn't close all the time but were both easy fixes. My family and friends are begging me to get another one - Id buy a new RR in a second if I already wasn't in on the Hobbit. I truly miss it.

#38 4 years ago

I've had mine a year and a half and only a switch issue out of the box and has been problem free since

#39 4 years ago

mine was made june 2015. it came with mylar around trees, tnplh, and slings. I had the usual adjustment/fixing problems (monkey issues, sound fading in and out, witch switch) but after fixing them its been good so far, granted mines only 2 months old with 200 plays. Frank is great customer service, he actually answers his phone which is amazing nowadays.

#40 4 years ago

Maybe post a wanted add on AA or AP .
Someone in OZ may want to move theirs on.
IMO I'd wait a week or 2 and see how GOT LE comes together .

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from ant68:

Maybe post a wanted add on AA or AP .
Someone in OZ may want to move theirs on.
IMO I'd wait a week or 2 and see how GOT LE comes together .

#42 4 years ago

Have owned a RRWOZ for about a month now. Bought NIB as 50th birthday present for my wife.
- Game sounds and light show are incomparable - I love it, my wife and daughter will ONLY play WOZ and none of my other 10 games

- Daughter is an extremely casual player but with easy settings has regular mid 100M games. My best is 457,000 with same settings and I consider myself an average player.

- I've never played a machine that so deeply involves you in a light, sound and motion extravaganza

- If you like or love the movie, the theme is a wonderful bonus and is executed very well

- Rules set is deep as others have said but some modes work in lower scoring registers so that even average players can "see it work"
The following can be done by an average or even below player: Winged monkey capture Dorothy, Spinning house and witches legs pop out, upper playfield playtime and ball trap, ball locks and the multi ball that follows. You must close the outlanes and set to easy settings and 5 ball to allow the average player access to the above modes. Otherwise I'm afraid they will simply knock the ball around for short ball times and never get to experience all the game has to offer.

- All players can and will appreciate the fantastic light show and music (again, music is subject to movie affinity)

Quality control is not what I expected and below is what was wrong or went wrong in 3 weeks. None of this is major and parts I needed were under warranty. Just a pain in the butt and should not happen on new machine. All of the below is photo documented and most of it can be found where I posted it here on Pinside:

Upper playfield flipper rubbing on castle wall and shredding. Fixed by grinding down wall

WOZ8 led board under castle playfield went out 5 days in and took out 2/3 rds of all inserts. Took 10 days or so to get replacement (single largest "piss me off" thing on this list - no way it should take that long to get me a part to fix a machine that is $9,000 NIB. Come on JJP, it's the lighting for goodness sake, overnight it! )

VUK habitrail was dropping ball to upper PF onto edge of wall. Fixed with washer/spacer

Monkey was hitting upper castle wall doors. Fixed with foam tape spacer.

Monkey stopped picking up ball. Fixed by bending lower limit switch and greasing mech

Crystal ball was hitting wire ramp causing garbage on display. Fixed with spacer and tweaking position

Sound dropouts randomly. Fixed by reseating audio connectors

Loud buzzing sound like a transformer buzz. Fixed by rerouting audio cables

Witch mech was only screwed in halfway from factory. Noticed and fixed while chasing light board issue.

Apron has a delamination problem that is still under review. Patched for the moment by pressing/squeegee it down for now

Even with the above, I would buy again. It's that special of a game and I wonder if I will ever understand all the modes and rules. When JJP started a few years ago and my wife and I discussed a pre-order, but we decided to wait as we honestly were not sure how the JJP story would end. Well you know the whole story now and Jack and his team at JJP have since pulled off the seemingly impossible. They started a company from scratch and produced what I believe is one of the finest pinball machines ever built!

I can wholeheartedly recommend it as a "buy". You'll love it

Here is my thread and mods. I've added witch decal and coin door volume control since then

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rrwoz-unboxing-and-comments

448465.jpg

#43 4 years ago

I'd add my WOZ took 1 day to get here from the factory but parts take about 8 days. Though JJP service is great I hope there is some way they could speed this up.

#44 4 years ago

Did you say THIRTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS?

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

Did you say THIRTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS?

13k AUD x 0.7 = USD 9100

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

13k AUD x 0.7 = USD 9100

Oh, well, in that case, no big deal

2 weeks later
#47 4 years ago

Only had mine 5 weeks, had to reset atx psu and tighten screws holding winkle target switch but apart from that 100% fine. We love our WOZ so much it's never going anywhere.

#48 4 years ago

Had a few issues with stuff getting loose but there is one thing that drives me crazy on it. The threaded shaft for the monkey, if it isn't completely "true" it makes a racket when it cycles.

#49 4 years ago

seeing how little come up for resale...id say we all love them very much!

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

seeing how little come up for resale...id say we all love them very much!

Then why didn't anybody buy my le with spare play field for $6700. Lost 2k on that pos.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside