(Topic ID: 145932)

Need some help, installing Color DMD on TSPP!!

By rai

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

board.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I just installed one on XMLE and went fine. Next to install on TSPP.

I followed the instructions (from the video for how to whitestar).

Everything was OK, went to see the display was working OK with the basic software, just grey color. I installed TSPP code, went fine as well. Light is green on the done.

However when I start a game I get no display at all.

However, if I just go to the COLOR DMD menu it looks fine, but when I exit I get a blank screen. I can only think maybe it's something to do with the display rom or maybe a fuse? But I don't know what to look for.

#2 8 years ago

This is the menu display

image.jpegimage.jpeg
This is what the game display is when it's not in the menu screen.
image.jpegimage.jpeg

#4 8 years ago

Yes

And recall when I first set it up I got the Stern logo in grey.

I may have jostled something when I was putting the panel back, but all the wires are tight and in the correct position

#5 8 years ago

I'm going to go back to sigma code see if I get any signal

I'm leaning towards something blew or wire loose but on the SMD every cable is ok

#6 8 years ago

Is there anything I can look at in the back box?

#7 8 years ago

Sigma code also no signal except in menu

When I first connected it, I got sigma color

#9 8 years ago

This light is blinking this is the panel just behind the left speaker
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

#10 8 years ago

Color DMD

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

#11 8 years ago

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Power isn't on at the Whitestar board (LED is off). This comes from the high voltage DMD connector and should remain plugged in. Make sure the high voltage connector that normally powers the old DMD is tucked away safely so it can't short against anything.

where is the high voltage connector?

#17 8 years ago

I'm thinking somethings shorted out possibly since it did work initially, or maybe a connection came off, does anyone see a missing connection?

#19 8 years ago

Light is on, on the DMD controller, must have taken the other pic with power off

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#21 8 years ago

Yes, it's set on WS

Also no display at all, not just wobbly lines or anything just completely blank.

#22 8 years ago

Also I just reloaded the Simpsons ROM

Could it be something with the DMD controller? How can I fix that?

I don't have another Whitestar game

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Can you get a close up of the Xilinx chip on the Whitestar board. Looks like there's a dark spot on it. Please make sure it's not a burn mark.

good eyes, it that it? Is it fixable?

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#27 8 years ago

I haven't secured the old power chord so that could have touched it possibly?

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from gripwhip:

Did you try moving this ColorDMD to one of your other machines and loading that ROM/Sigma driver and see if it works? It would eliminate the ColorDMD being the issue. The mark on the chip looks like glue or something that may have discolored from being hot.

Actually it's a hole in the chip ☠

#32 8 years ago

thanks,

is there a repair or swap option?

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I had this exact same thing happen to me when I was installing a ColorDMD into my LOTR. It was fixable but not by me because you can only get those chips directly programmed from Stern. I got Rob Anthony (the original NVram guy) to fix it. I think it cost me $100 and shipping both ways. I think his name is borygard on here?
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Ok

So I'm not a complete idiot, glad I'm not a trailblazer

So I usually get Billsfanmd to put in my mods, but I figured I could do it myself. I was going to surprise him with my mad skills, XMLE went so easy but the Whitestar is just another bit more complex. Plus as I was putting the panel back there were wires in the bottom so I had to jiggle it around to get it to seat, the rest is history.

I contacted Rob so hopefully I can get it working soon.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

ColorDMD needs to update their installation instructions. They need to tell people to remove that fuse in the small board in the top left of the backbox. If that fuse is removed I don't think this would ever happen.

So the upper fuse is not needed at all?

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Agreed. So Dmod said to not let the high voltage cable come into contact with any board. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen if high voltage can jump through insulation and blast a hole in a chip. Is that what happened here? The instructions do say to remove the cable but nobody ever does.

This sounds like exactly what happened.

The instructions say remove cord from DMD and put it aside. It doesn't say to disconnect from the power board (which I think it should say)

This sounds like I'm at least the second person with this problem, Color DMD guy has been helping out *a lot*, but maybe they need to include a warning slip to disconnect the power cable or remove the fuse before this happens again.

#55 8 years ago

I don't want to disusuade anyone from buying Color DMD products. I believe this is a freak accident. My speaker panel is kind of difficult to get settled, wish there was an easier way but every game seems a to have some issues with speaker or translight they seem to be varriable if they go in easy or not.

So getting my speaker display panel back in, I had to push and pull and likely jostled the power cord. I was not aware of the risk, but I was following the video instructions, not officially sanctioned by Color DMD. I just find video instructions better than the official instructions given, because I'm not any good at installations but in general I think Color DMD is easy to install (this case being an exception!) which is causing me some stress since I'm having a big pin gathering in 2 weeks ?

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The fuse QuarterGrabber is referring to is the one on the DISPLAY POWER SUPPLY board shown in post #11.
WARNING!! This is a high-voltage board so make sure the power to the game is off before touching/removing any fuses.

You say not to disconnect the unused power cable?

Also do you recommend removing the fuse, is it used for anything else?

I wrapped some plastic around the live cable just to be safe but would it be better to pull the fuse as well?

#61 8 years ago

Hopefully, I'll be getting a new board from Stern. $190 so this will be a very expensive DMD for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.95
6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 16.00
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-some-help-installing-color-dmd-on-tspp?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.