(Topic ID: 145932)

Need some help, installing Color DMD on TSPP!!

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by QuarterGrabber
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

board.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

I just installed one on XMLE and went fine. Next to install on TSPP.

I followed the instructions (from the video for how to whitestar).

Everything was OK, went to see the display was working OK with the basic software, just grey color. I installed TSPP code, went fine as well. Light is green on the done.

However when I start a game I get no display at all.

However, if I just go to the COLOR DMD menu it looks fine, but when I exit I get a blank screen. I can only think maybe it's something to do with the display rom or maybe a fuse? But I don't know what to look for.

#2 3 years ago

This is the menu display

image.jpeg
This is what the game display is when it's not in the menu screen.
image.jpeg

#3 3 years ago

Seems its not getting a signal .. is ribbon cable the correct direction?

#4 3 years ago

Yes

And recall when I first set it up I got the Stern logo in grey.

I may have jostled something when I was putting the panel back, but all the wires are tight and in the correct position

#5 3 years ago

I'm going to go back to sigma code see if I get any signal

I'm leaning towards something blew or wire loose but on the SMD every cable is ok

#6 3 years ago

Is there anything I can look at in the back box?

#7 3 years ago

Sigma code also no signal except in menu

When I first connected it, I got sigma color

#8 3 years ago

Im not 100 percent sure on the whitestar can you grab some pics with the speaker panel down

#9 3 years ago

This light is blinking this is the panel just behind the left speaker
image.jpegimage.jpeg

#10 3 years ago

Color DMD

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#11 3 years ago

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

#12 3 years ago

Put old Dmd in and stsrt over. Retrace your steps. Has to be something simple

#13 3 years ago

Power isn't on at the Whitestar board (LED is off). This comes from the high voltage DMD connector and should remain plugged in. Make sure the high voltage connector that normally powers the old DMD is tucked away safely so it can't short against anything.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Power isn't on at the Whitestar board (LED is off). This comes from the high voltage DMD connector and should remain plugged in. Make sure the high voltage connector that normally powers the old DMD is tucked away safely so it can't short against anything.

where is the high voltage connector?

#15 3 years ago

I just opened my back box and checked mine out vs. the pics you have displayed. as far as I can tell, the ribbon cables seem fine. I know I put one of mine in backwards when I installed mine and it didn't display anything until I righted them. Not sure about the flashing led in post #9 as I don't have a board in the location you described in mine. Is that a power board? I can't tell by the pics. The Color DMD crew is great and will help you until it's right.

#16 3 years ago

Also, TSPP with a Color DMD is amazing. Enjoy!

#17 3 years ago

I'm thinking somethings shorted out possibly since it did work initially, or maybe a connection came off, does anyone see a missing connection?

#18 3 years ago

The connections look correct. It's possible you have shorted something out on the Whitestar DMD controller board.

The high voltage connector is the one that plugs into the original DMD. There's a separate small board that creates the high voltage for the DMD. The same board provides 5V to the Whitestar DMD controller. You'll need to keep the original DMD connector tucked away so that high voltage does not come in contact with any of the other boards in the backbox.

Since the LED on the Whitestar DMD controller board isn't lighting, it suggest that either 5V isn't getting to the board, or something on the Whitestar board has shorted out.

#19 3 years ago

Light is on, on the DMD controller, must have taken the other pic with power off

image.jpeg

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Light is on, on the DMD controller, must have taken the other pic with power off
image.jpeg

Go into color DMD menus and make sure it's set up for whitestar (WS) it will mess up display otherwise and look weird

#21 3 years ago

Yes, it's set on WS

Also no display at all, not just wobbly lines or anything just completely blank.

#22 3 years ago

Also I just reloaded the Simpsons ROM

Could it be something with the DMD controller? How can I fix that?

I don't have another Whitestar game

image.jpeg

#23 3 years ago

Can you get a close up of the Xilinx chip on the Whitestar board. Looks like there's a dark spot on it. Please make sure it's not a burn mark.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Not sure about the flashing led in post #9 as I don't have a board in the location you described in mine. Is that a power board? I can't tell by the pics.

That is an LED OCD board. Aftermarket.

#25 3 years ago

Try erasing all the ColorDMD files off your computer and off your USB drive. When you download a new file from the website, it normally does not load over the same name, but downloads as ColorDMD(1).rom instead of ColorDMD.rom.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Can you get a close up of the Xilinx chip on the Whitestar board. Looks like there's a dark spot on it. Please make sure it's not a burn mark.

good eyes, it that it? Is it fixable?

image.jpeg

#27 3 years ago

I haven't secured the old power chord so that could have touched it possibly?

#28 3 years ago

I checked my TSPP ColorDMD and your connections are correct. That burn mark on the display board chip does look like a bad sign. You can borrow the board from my game if you want to test.

#29 3 years ago

Did you try moving this ColorDMD to one of your other machines and loading that ROM/Sigma driver and see if it works? It would eliminate the ColorDMD being the issue. The mark on the chip looks like glue or something that may have discolored from being hot.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from gripwhip:

Did you try moving this ColorDMD to one of your other machines and loading that ROM/Sigma driver and see if it works? It would eliminate the ColorDMD being the issue. The mark on the chip looks like glue or something that may have discolored from being hot.

Actually it's a hole in the chip ☠

#32 3 years ago

thanks,

is there a repair or swap option?

#33 3 years ago

I had this exact same thing happen to me when I was installing a ColorDMD into my LOTR. It was fixable but not by me because you can only get those chips directly programmed from Stern. I got Rob Anthony (the original NVram guy) to fix it. I think it cost me $100 plus shipping both ways. I think his name is borygard on here?

#34 3 years ago

Oh and also just so you know a rottendog board won't work with a ColorDMD. So that is not an option. Hope this helps.

#35 3 years ago

Yikes. So how exactly does this happen? It is not removing the high voltage cable and it hit the board?

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from gripwhip:

Yikes. So how exactly does this happen? It is not removing the high voltage cable and it hit the board?

ColorDMD needs to update their installation instructions. They need to tell people to remove that fuse in the small board in the top left of the backbox. If that fuse is removed I don't think this would ever happen.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I had this exact same thing happen to me when I was installing a ColorDMD into my LOTR. It was fixable but not by me because you can only get those chips directly programmed from Stern. I got Rob Anthony (the original NVram guy) to fix it. I think it cost me $100 and shipping both ways. I think his name is borygard on here?

Ok

So I'm not a complete idiot, glad I'm not a trailblazer

So I usually get Billsfanmd to put in my mods, but I figured I could do it myself. I was going to surprise him with my mad skills, XMLE went so easy but the Whitestar is just another bit more complex. Plus as I was putting the panel back there were wires in the bottom so I had to jiggle it around to get it to seat, the rest is history.

I contacted Rob so hopefully I can get it working soon.

#38 3 years ago

ColorDMD needs to update their installation instructions. They need to tell people to remove that fuse in the small board in the top left of the backbox. If that fuse is removed I don't think this would ever happen.

So the upper fuse is not needed at all?

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

So the upper fuse is not needed at all?

Nope. ColorDMD only uses the 5V. I removed the fuse from mine and my ColorDMD works perfect.

#40 3 years ago

I was thinking about getting the color dmd for my tspp, but not sure now. Maybe dmod will come on and explain what's happened and how to avoid it.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I was thinking about getting the color dmd for my tspp, but not sure now. Maybe dmod will come on and explain what's happened and how to avoid it.

I just told you, remove that fuse. I was told this by Randy himself over the phone. ColorDMD has GREAT customer service btw.

#42 3 years ago

I just told you, remove that fuse. I was told this by Randy himself over the phone. ColorDMD has GREAT customer service btw.

You said you don't think it would happen if you remove the fuse. I'd like a little more assurance than that. Strange I hadn't read about this issue before, LOTR, rbion, etc.

#43 3 years ago

I am hoping this is just bad luck. I have a ColorDMD in my TSPP and LoTR with no issues. It is a great product and it is especially good on TSPP.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from gripwhip:

I am hoping this is just bad luck. I have a ColorDMD in my TSPP and LoTR with no issues. It is a great product and it is especially good on TSPP.

And you didn't remove any fuses?

#45 3 years ago

Nope. I just disconnected the high voltage wire at both ends.

#46 3 years ago

Same here. Love colordmd

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from gripwhip:

Nope. I just disconnected the high voltage wire at both ends.

Yeah that's a good idea, but effectively the same as removing the fuse. The ColorDMD only uses the 5V, the fuse is for the high voltage which causes this damage and is not needed for the ColorDMD to operate.

#48 3 years ago

Removing the fuse will cut off the high voltage but the cable is still grounded and electrically connected to the DMD power supply board. You should still tie back the old DMD power cable to ensure it doesn't come in contact with any of the boards in the backbox.

#49 3 years ago

Thanks QuarterGrabber. Good info!

#50 3 years ago

Is danger dangling in my AFM back box?

Eric

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 218.00
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside