green (resized).jpg
red (resized).jpg
04 (resized).jpg
01 (resized).jpg
02 (resized).jpg
03 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hey Guys,

Been trying to trouble shoot a weird speaker crackling/popping sound coming from my left speaker. I have replaced all of the tall electrolytic capacitors, and now I am moving on to testing and replacing the tiny axial ones (not sure what they are called, and hoping this may fix my issue).

I am not sure how to determine the voltage rating on these. I know where they are on the schematics, and can see their capacitance rating, but I do not see a voltage for these. I have attached some photos of the schematics of some of them. I need to order a few and just need some help on which voltage rating to get....

Thanks for the help!
Jim
01 (resized).jpg01 (resized).jpg02 (resized).jpg02 (resized).jpg03 (resized).jpg03 (resized).jpg04 (resized).jpg04 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

Normally I use 2-3x working voltage for long life. So in the red box I put a yellow oval on the working voltage. So for C26-28 I would use 35 volt caps.
Now for the green box I would use 16 volt for C-31 and 35 volt for C-32 and 33. If you look C-31 only uses half of the available voltage.

red (resized).jpgred (resized).jpggreen (resized).jpggreen (resized).jpg
#3 4 years ago

Ah I see! I’m still learning a lot of this but that makes sense. I could only find 50v caps on mouser at that capacitance...is that too much? Or is it fine, and your just paying a little more for the higher voltage?

Thank you!

Jim

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

I could only find 50v caps on mouser at that capacitance...is that too much? Or is it fine, and your just paying a little more for the higher voltage?

It's more of a size issue. As the working voltage of a cap goes up, so does the size of the cap. Using a cap with a higher working voltage isn't a issue, it does increase the cost of the part. Over the last 20 years the size of caps has reduced @ 35%. The voltage numbers I gave you were the minimums I would use when looking for a replacement. You may only find 50 volt caps in the sizes you need because they can't be made in any smaller voltage.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

It's more of a size issue. As the working voltage of a cap goes up, so does the size of the cap. Using a cap with a higher working voltage isn't a issue, it does increase the cost of the part. Over the last 20 years the size of caps has reduced @ 35%. The voltage numbers I gave you were the minimums I would use when looking for a replacement. You may only find 50 volt caps in the sizes you need because they can't be made in any smaller voltage.

Got it! Thank you so much...now I just hope this solves my issue
Jim

#6 4 years ago

Are these tiny capacitors “multilayer ceramic capacitors (MLCC)”?

I’m looking for three on mouser.com and just wanna make sure I’m getting the right type.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-some-help-determining-capacitor-voltage-rating and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.