Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by tbayjay
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20190409-134310 (resized).jpg
    $_59 (2) (resized).JPG
    $_59 (1) (resized).JPG
    $_59 (resized).JPG
    #1 5 years ago

Someone on kijiji here in Ontario has a Williams Blackout machine for sale. Cosmetically it looks to be in good condition, but it's one of those "it worked when we put it away" stories. It lights up but does not play, and they are asking 1200 dollars for it. Since it's a 4 hour drive for me to go get it, if they accepted something like 800 bucks, would I be able to get it up and running without spending a fortune? They have a picture showing inside the head, and there looks to be 3 duracells in the battery holder which makes me think that really old batteries didn't leak on the main board. Any thoughts would be appreciated since this will be my first pinball purchase.

$_59 (1) (resized).JPG$_59 (1) (resized).JPG$_59 (2) (resized).JPG$_59 (2) (resized).JPG$_59 (resized).JPG$_59 (resized).JPG
    #2 5 years ago

If it's 4 hours away, not working, your first game, and you don't have lots of previous repair experience................
    I'd say no.
    Just too many ways for this to go sideways.
    Cosmetic condition looks OK, but too risky IMO.

#3 5 years ago

I'm not sure why you think that because your 4 hours away the seller should drop the price by 25% as compensation to you.

#4 5 years ago

I know how you feel,BUT,you don't want a fixer upper for your first pin!!!!Watch the ads,and hold out for a pin that works perfect! You'll be much happier!!! Good luck and remember,Pinballs multiply like rabbits!!!!

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

I'm not sure why you think that because your 4 hours away the seller should drop the price by 25% as compensation to you.

I disagree with this to an extent. The seller doesn’t have to drop the price as compensation but how difficult it is for me to come get the machine absolutely affects what I am willing to pay for the machine. A title like this one is not going to be a high demand machine so who knows what the seller would accept.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

If it's 4 hours away, not working, your first game, and you don't have lots of previous repair experience................
    I'd say no.
    Just too many ways for this to go sideways.
    Cosmetic condition looks OK, but too risky IMO.

I would advise that if you’re buying your first pin, you should buy a pin that’s fully working. Since you don’t know if it’s a $5 fix or a $500 fix, I’d buy something possibly closer and working. Are there any other fellow pinsiders nearby who could sell you your first pin? I’d definitely stay away from a project, unless you have prior skills and experience in pinball repair

#7 5 years ago

you never know might just be a fuse....

#8 5 years ago

The first game I bought was non-working. But it was also pretty cheap. These days it's hard to find cheap projects.

The good thing is that it doesn't look like the batteries have leaked, and that's generally the big problem on many project games. A clean circuit board is always a plus.

I doubt it's a $500 fix.

However, I usually expect to spend a total of around $300-$600 refurbishing most games. That includes replacement parts and fixing/bulletproofing the boards myself. If you have to send a board out for repair or buy a replacement, it's going to cost several hundred dollars more.

This checklist should give you a rough idea of the sorts of things you would have to investigate when trying to fix a game:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Post-Purchase_Checklist

But, there's always the chance that the problem is just a blown fuse, broken wire, cracked solder joint, corroded connector pin, or something else fairly obvious if you know what you're looking for.

Personally, blackout is not a game I would pay a whole lot for or drive very far for, so it's really up to you.

Keep in mind that the pinball show season has started, so you might be able to find something that's either fully working or in a project state at one of the shows in your region.

#9 5 years ago

My first game was non-working but electronically was all there. It was more playfield refurbishment and finding parts. Having said that I also enjoy tinkering and figuring out how things work so I enjoy working on my machines. It depends on what you want out of the hobby. Some people really want to play a lot and just clean their machines or do minor repairs. Some people love to really dig into the machines and do more major work. Agree that a working machine is probably a better bet unless you specifically want a project.

Also agree that Blackout is not a highly sought after title, unless you really want that particular game for some reason there are other pins out there that would serve well as a first game. My first game was Pinbot, love that machine.

#10 5 years ago

There are a few problems i see here:

1) This machine is not sought after and likely not worth what the seller is asking...even if it were FULLY working. According to the Pinside market, the top end for these is $1210. While that may not be the final word, I have seen many of these working sell for less than that.

2) As many have already stated, you need to buy a working machine for your first pin. Unless you are mechanically gifted, don't mind working on it, are willing to potentially spend hundreds more on it, and are fine with possibly having the machine sit around for months unused...I wouldn't bother.

3) There has got to be something better within a closer distance. That's a very long way to go for an overpriced, non-working pin.

4) There is no guarantee the seller will budge at all. Im not sure what dollar amount you are capped at, but all this is just hot air if the price isn't lowered.

I would recommend a hard pass.

#11 5 years ago

Poor resolution pic of circuit boards. It looks like corrosion on the It's on the Driver Board below the batteries. If so, avoid the game, assume a new CPU and Driver Board will be needed.

#12 5 years ago

All that circled in Orange can't be good

Screenshot_20190409-134310 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190409-134310 (resized).jpg
    #13 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

All that circled in Orange can't be good
    [quoted image]

That's just heat damage. It's common. Usually to bulletproof that, you would change the board over to use MOSFETs, rather than transistors. That would remove the need for the large resistors, thus cut down on the heat.

#14 5 years ago

this is priced in Canadian dollars so about 850 US

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That's just heat damage. It's common. Usually to bulletproof that, you would change the board over to use MOSFETs, rather than transistors. That would remove the need for the large resistors, thus cut down on the heat.

Sorry the picture is so bad.

#16 5 years ago

Others have different opinions but mine is to pay a few hundred more for a fully working pin when it’s your first pin. You will usually need to pay a few hundred more to get a non-working one working anyway and it’s a much gentler entry into the hobby. Buy from a fellow hobbiest and make sure you see in person of course.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

this is price in Canadian dollars so about 850 US

I don’t think $850 US for a non-working Blackout is a deal I would drive 4 hours for, personally.

#18 5 years ago

Blackout is a challenging and fun to shoot classic pin IMHO, so you could do worse. Nobody can say what it will take to get working. The question is, do you like to troubleshoot and repair electronics?

1 week later
    #19 5 years ago

I just got my Blackout working after collecting dust in storage for the last 20 years. It would power on but wouldn't save any settings and a lot of the electrical was pretty finicky (sometimes things would work, sometimes they wouldn't). Once the fuses were replaced we upgraded to 6264 NVRAM Module and changed a couple light sockets and now it works like a brand new game. As much as I love Blackout, $1200 is way too much for a non-working game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-some-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.