Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Funkbuster
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

So after 18 months, the SD card in my Run-DMD clock built by j_m_ finally ate itself.

I thought I had the image saved to reflash a new one... but do not. And it seems the website was taken offline just a short time ago OF COURSE

j_m_ says he's not doing them anymore. He pointed me to someone else and I've yet to hear back. Run-DMD thread is crickets.

Can anyone else share me a link to the image, if it's hosted elsewhere? Or failing that, would anyone be willing to send me an SD (I'll pay reasonable cost of course). Thank you!

#2 4 years ago

I hadn't seen that, but what a bummer. Contributory Infringement.....what an a-hole.

#3 4 years ago

PM sent.

#4 4 years ago

Thanks for the PMs. A couple leads but nothing confirmed yet... I can be patient on behalf of the samaritan offers thus far but if anyone else has something ready, my clock is still dark

So what actually happened with these? They were available for a long time. I'm a little miffed that after spending a not-small sum on mine I was basically told to pound sand.

#5 4 years ago

PPS happened. Threatened legal action against what was once considered fair use.

#6 4 years ago

This isn’t cool , I’ve bought 10’s of thousands of dollars of parts for Bally / Williams machines, the clock dmd only got me excited for buying more iconic games and then restoring them; stuffing $ into The IP owners pockets. Sad time for the coolest clock on earth

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

PPS happened. Threatened legal action against what was once considered fair use.

Why now? Also, since most of the time the item is in clock mode, might that be considered significant non infringing in use?

#8 4 years ago

The timing is strange. These have been sold for years. Why now is right?
    I also could use the sd card re-flashed, or just a new sd card with code on it.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

The timing is strange. These have been sold for years. Why now is right?

I think it was just timing and he likely never seen the threads in the past since there are so many topics and they can get pushed down the list quickly. JM's thread for the recent batch was going for a few months and then when it got bumped a few days ago it likely caught the attention of Rick. Such a shame and it's not like PPS is going to start offering these for sale (even if he did it would not include the Stern animations). I know Stern gets a lot of shit but mods are the one thing they really don't crack down unless its competition for something they plan on selling them self like a topper. I'm sure plenty of employees from Stern have seen the posts for these clocks and could have pulled a "Contributory Infringement" card like Rick but they have chosen not to.

#10 4 years ago

Following since I also own one of these amazing clocks.

I would hate for it to become a paperweight down the road.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Following since I also own one of these amazing clocks.
    I would hate for it to become a paperweight down the road.

That won’t likely happen, but go ahead and make a copy backup of your SD card... this goes for all of us!

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

That won’t likely happen, but go ahead and make a copy backup of your SD card... this goes for all of us!

What Kind of Card and Size do you reccomend?

#13 4 years ago

what does this mean for pinMame etc... all those roms contain these dmd images etc... Or is it because the clock is sold and making a small profit they have put a complaint it?

Will this effect pin2dmd colouring?

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

I have no clue how that's done

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I have no clue how that's done

You cannot make a copy of the card, because the etching makes the card unreadable from a computer (it appears unformatted).
    The hex files required to operate the clock are rather small hex files, about 500kB.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

And it seems the website was taken offline just a short time ago OF COURSE
    j_m_ says he's not doing them anymore.

I still see the website...
    The files still appear to be available.
    https://run-dmd.com/blog/

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

That’s the board firmware, not the image files that are shown on the display.

#18 4 years ago

you can make a raw copy of any sd card no matter what the data is, just a simple byte by byte copy.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

click read to create a copy .img file. Then write to a new card and you will have an exact clone. I use alot for raspberry pi img's

So only Bally/Williams have asked to be removed? are the stern animations still ok?

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

what does this mean for pinMame etc... all those roms contain these dmd images etc... Or is it because the clock is sold and making a small profit they have put a complaint it?
    Will this effect pin2dmd colouring?

This all has to do with licensing intellectual property... if a virtual pinball maker sells a machine with roms (the game code for a particular machine) in it, that is not legal, it just depends on how far the owner of the ip wants to pursue the infringement. Pin2dmd coloring: I would think they don’t care, that there are no grounds to pursue, they’re coloring monochrome images to color images and not selling actual code that is already in the machine. Run-dmd was distributing mfg ip images. Run-dmd can still sell clocks and distribute its clock firmware, just can’t distribute the animations...

There are a lot of small companies making MAME arcade machines that will build a complete product and sell it, then the consumer needs to provide their own roms to have the code to play the games.

If run-dmd wants to continue to sell clocks IMO, they should post a tutorial on how to build animations for its hardware, let the public develop an outside community That builds animations for the hardware and the community share the animations “ that they own the rights to, because they “own” the machine” the animations are from and legally have the right to use them not for profit in their own home.

#20 4 years ago

If anyone wants to make a copy of there card and sell it to me for mine send me a private message.

#21 4 years ago

If anybody is interested I have a clock that I do not use anymore and works great. PM me if interested.

#22 4 years ago

damn, i have the old image from when i bought my rundmd. i bought very early on and never updated. hopefully someone finds the files. if anyone has them pm me so i can figure out a way to get the files from you then upload them to mega/googledrive/zippyshare/etc

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

If anyone wants to make a copy of there card and sell it to me for mine send me a private message.

I'd be interested in that as well. With my luck I'd try to duplicate the SD card and then corrupt it somehow.

#24 4 years ago

My run DMD clock is on my desk at work. So if this is still needed tomorrow morning, I am more than happy to make a copy of it and post it somewhere.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from fxdwg:

My run DMD clock is on my desk at work. So if this is still needed tomorrow morning, I am more than happy to make a copy of it and post it somewhere.

Thank you

#26 4 years ago

For the sake of everyone on the thread, could someone post the REVISIONS of the Firmware and Image files that were the latest ones?
    (Yes I stated the revisions, and No I am not asking for the code itself to be put on Pinside.)

This might let everyone know where it stopped.

On the Run-DMD website, it looks like the Firmware stopped at 3.54 on August 10, 2018.

I am not sure if that covers all four flavors:

Pinball
    Edge
    White
    Pico

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

If anybody is interested I have a clock that I do not use anymore and works great. PM me if interested.

Pm sent

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from jbovenzi:

For the sake of everyone on the thread, could someone post the REVISIONS of the Firmware and Image files that were the latest ones?
    (Yes I stated the revisions, and No I am not asking for the code itself to be put on Pinside.)
    This might let everyone know where it stopped.
    On the Run-DMD website, it looks like the Firmware stopped at 3.54 on August 10, 2018.
    I am not sure if that covers all four flavors:
    Pinball
    Edge
    White
    Pico

For the white board B134
    Pico board. B236

Fw_3.54

#29 4 years ago

Shoot, I wanted to buy one of these down the line and figured they would just “be around” but sadly that isn’t the case

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Shoot, I wanted to buy one of these down the line and figured they would just “be around” but sadly that isn’t the case

They are still available just not from J_M_.

#31 4 years ago

Shoutout to everyone who reached out via PM with offers of assistance: this community is awesome, and my clock is working fine again. Thank you!

And funny enough, turns out it was corrupted out of the box when new! From Day one, the very bottom of the "Stern Pinball" logo - and only that one, specific graphic - had some odd artifacts right in the bottom pixel row. I didn't know any better and always shrugged it off. With the reflash, those artifacts are now gone. Whoops!

Quoted from russdx:

you can make a raw copy of any sd card no matter what the data is, just a simple byte by byte copy.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
    click read to create a copy .img file. Then write to a new card and you will have an exact clone. I use alot for raspberry pi img's
    So only Bally/Williams have asked to be removed? are the stern animations still ok?

Now THAT is some great info. I forgot just how many stupid redundant animations are in there from Ghostbusters and WWE. Seriously, out of 3000+ animations, about 25% are just those two games - and fully half of those are essentially the same thing. I forgot just how much custom filtering I had done on my image - those, and some of the more violent Dirty Harry & Judge Dredd animations (because the wife and some guests are not fond of headshots at the dinner table, heh). The information above sounds like a good way to back up your own custom filtered image - I'm going to have to try that.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

For the white board B134
    Pico board. B236
    Fw_3.54

I have a copy of B130 (~95MB). I found a copy of B134, but it's only 22MB. Anyone know what the deal is there? If B134 has more animations, logic would dictate that the file size should be larger.

#33 4 years ago

Might have added some sort of compression?

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

So these are all the files than need to be put on a micro SD card?
    I'm good at the software aspect of computers. But hardware isn't my forte.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-clock-reflashing-the-sd-card-to-fix-glitched-no-animations

3 weeks later
    #38 4 years ago

Yes, I believe that is the most recent version of the image.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

You cannot make a copy of the card, because the etching makes the card unreadable from a computer (it appears unformatted).
    The hex files required to operate the clock are rather small hex files, about 500kB.

You need binary imaging software such as Win32 Disk Imager.

3 weeks later
    #41 4 years ago
    Quoted from mastercello:

Looks like both links are dead - anyone can direct me to a working B134 Image, please?

#42 4 years ago

Not talking about the firmware files, talking about the SD card image with the animations on it.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from mastercello:

Not talking about the firmware files, talking about the SD card image with the animations on it.

I am looking for SD card image as well, mine appears to be corrupt now.

1 month later
    #44 4 years ago

A few people reached out so I just put it on my website, let me know if it works for you or if it doesn't

https://swinks.com.au/mod-manuals

I am not sure if I need permission, let me know otherwise just trying to help as it appears to be no longer available at their website

2 years later
    #45 1 year ago
    Quoted from swinks:

A few people reached out so I just put it on my website, let me know if it works for you or if it doesn't
    https://swinks.com.au/mod-manuals
    I am not sure if I need permission, let me know otherwise just trying to help as it appears to be no longer available at their website

New link is: https://swinks.com.au/manuals
    Thanks for hosting this!

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from daveyvandy:

New link is: https://swinks.com.au/manuals
    Thanks for hosting this!

no worries, crazy that everyone has these clocks but the files aren't available specially since the SD cards can have issues.

7 months later
    #47 9 months ago

Hi my dmd clocked stoped working I need to flash it again could someone pm me a linf for B134 image
    ?

#48 9 months ago
    Quoted from Funkbuster:

Hi my dmd clocked stoped working I need to flash it again could someone pm me a linf for B134 image
    ?

Look one post above yours.

#49 9 months ago

Yes he only shares manuals, not the dmd image ?

#50 9 months ago
    Quoted from Funkbuster:

Yes he only shares manuals, not the dmd image ?

Scroll down to the RUN-DMD section at https://swinks.com.au/manuals

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-run-dmd-clock-image-website-nuked?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.