• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1641.JPG
SandT.JPG
#1 8 years ago

I have a sound board out of an 8ball champ and want to install it on my Embryon. This board is a squawk and talk 2518-61 not a 61a. A picture would help me determine what jumpers need to be installed or removed. There is some conflicting information and a picture will clear it up for me.

One of the conflicts:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Squawk_.26_Talk_Jumper_Settings
States that "x" needs to be jumpered.

http://www.pinrepair.com/bally/ballyrm1.htm
States that "x" should be removed.

#2 8 years ago

This picture came off Ebay

SandT.JPGSandT.JPG

#3 8 years ago

The biggest difference is if the either game uses the sound generator or the PIA exclusively to make sound effects. That and the EPROM size jumpers which are pretty straight forward based on rom size.

So does the sound board you want to put in embryon have the sound generator chip? If so remove the sound generator and install the EE jumpers. Next up figure out if you have to change the ROM size jumpers. There is four jumpers above each rom chip. You set those jumpers to what kind of ROM below you are using. Each ROM scoket has it's own jumpers so you can mix and match.

#4 8 years ago

Can take a better one if required. Had this on my PC for easy access but can go and open up the game again if needs be?

IMG_1641.JPGIMG_1641.JPG
#5 8 years ago

My board has the ROM at u12 (sound generator chip). I also read elsewhere that it should be removed and all the EE jumpers installed. But the picture above has embryon ROMs and it clearly has the chip at u12 and no jumpers installed on EE.

Why? What do you recommend?

#6 8 years ago

Embryon does not use the sound generator chip. Embryon uses the PIA to feed the DAC to make noise. The sound generator has to be removed and EE jumpers added.

If you install that board as is you will only have speech. The PIA will not receive any signal inputs (EE jumps open) and the sound generator will ignore the inputs because the software isnt initializing the sound generator.

If someone on ebay is selling that board as working for embryon, they are wrong.

Andrew

#7 8 years ago

Embryon doesn't have the EE jumper installed, I believe.

I recall there being some misinformation regarding that whether Embryon uses the EE jumper in either the manual or on pinwiki.

Take anything as a grain of salt, through; Barakandl knows Bally hardware like the back of his hand.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Embryon doesn't have the EE jumper installed, I believe.
I recall there being some misinformation regarding that whether Embryon uses the EE jumper in either the manual or on pinwiki.
Take anything as a grain of salt, through; Barakandl knows Bally hardware like the back of his hand.

The information used to be wrong on pinwiki and elswhere. Back in October last year i wasted a bunch of time trying to figure out why the sound generator wouldn't respond to any inputs. It is because the software doesn't use the sound generator.

The reason that S&T on ebay is jumpered wrong is probably because there are still guides floating around out there with the bad info. Looks like this all started because of a Bally parts manual is wrong.

See my rant on RGP here.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.games.pinball/Embryon$20EE/rec.games.pinball/vFdCoKv8gj8/PdEPe11-K6EJ

#9 8 years ago

Thanks barakandi for the insight, I removed u12 and installed jumpers at EE.

if you feel inclined I have one more question, do I install a jumper at X? Ill be using game roms on the 2532 chips if that matters.

#10 8 years ago

You set the jumper above the ROM sockets specifically to what the eprom size you are plugging in below.

2532 ROM does not use the x jumper. The U4 jumpers for 2532 is 'U' and 'W'.

ROM Size/Location U2 U3 U4 U5

2532 D&G Q&S U&W Y&AA

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-pic-of-bally-embryon-sound-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.