• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by redman822
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

All--

I have an RCT pinball that needs service, a long story behind it, but have worked with a knowledgeable friend on it, but the issue still is going on - so I want to get a pinball service tech to come out to my house to work on it in place.

I live in the Elgin, IL area - northwest suburbs of Chicago - does anyone have a preferred/recommended service company that does housecalls in my area?

Post edited by redman822: Clarified region

#2 10 years ago

How about

www.gavinsgameservice.com

Met him at a pinball show (PATZ) once and he seemed knowledgeable and friendly.

#3 10 years ago

Had really good luck with Rick:

http://ricksgamerepair.com/

Had him out last summer to service a couple of my pins. Seems very knowledgeable, is a good guy, and was fair in his prices.

Got his name from the folks at PinballLife.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from redman822:

All--
I have an RCT pinball that needs service, a long story behind it, but have worked with a knowledgeable friend on it, but the issue still is going on - so I want to get a pinball service tech to come out to my house to work on it in place.
I live in the Elgin, IL area - northwest suburbs of Chicago - does anyone have a preferred/recommended service company that does housecalls in my area?
Post edited by redman822: Clarified region

Whats the actual issue?

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

Had really good luck with Rick:http://ricksgamerepair.com/Had him out last summer to service a couple of my pins. Seems very knowledgeable, is a good guy, and was fair in his prices.Got his name from the folks at PinballLife.

+1

Plus, he is really close to Elgin, IL

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Whats the actual issue?

Pardon the length, but here goes...
------------------------------------------------
RCT Problem Timeline

November 2013 - Initial incident – Glass off, coin door open and my friend (who I bought the pin from) was trying to adjust the upper flipper shot and dropped a nut and at same time while using pliers, he either touched blue or yellow 'coaster' rail while adjusting the silver rail behind the right-most dummy drop target. He hear a “pop” followed by the current type of error where the system is non-functioning and unable to even boot up.

He spoke with with his pinball repair mentor who had my friend bring him the Power IO Driver board. The mentor checked the power board and said it was OK. He then had my friend bring him the CPU board. The mentor found that the U213 chip was fried and replaced it.

My Friend brought the board back and reinstalled it in the game, played 6 games on it fine. Then packed it up and brought it to me in Illinois.

We played about half of a 3-player game before the home breaker tripped. (We were having problems with a bad breaker and my daughter was running her hairdryer. The breaker has since been replaced in the intervening weeks.) We reset the breaker and were playing a 2-player game and the breaker tripped again. (Hairdryer was still running.)

We moved the game power to a different outlet on a different circuit in the basement and were able to play a full 2-player game successfully. We then opened the coin door and were going through the game adjustments when the same pop sound that my friend heard initially in November followed by the same symptoms.

My friend brought the CPU board back to Michigan with him and had his mentor look at it. He again replaced the U213 chip and everything else appeared to be fine. My friend brought it back here and we installed it back in the game. He was told by the mentor to check the voltage to the CPU board at start up. When initially powering it up, my friend tested the voltage going into the CPU board using a voltage meter and the voltage was 4.96v. We started a 2-player game and during the game, there was the “popping sound” again.

We immediately powered the game off and my friend removed the translite turned it back on and tested the voltage going into the CPU board. The multi-meter showed 7.5v and immediately turned the power off again.

My friend called the mentor and discussed the issue and he told us to pull the high voltage fuses F6, F7, F21, and F22 and test the voltage on the CPU board as we replaced the fuses one at a time shutting down between each try. The phone call lasted approximately 10 minutes. When we did the testing the voltage was at 4.96 every time again.

At this point we decided to have someone come and service the pinball all together, rather than to keep diagnosing only parts of it at a time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-on-site-service-recommendations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.