3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Hey, what do you guys do for the shorter tempered playfield glass found in a Bally Fireball '72? This is the one that fits in the side rail frame. I've got one that is broke. Thanks, Damon

#2 3 years ago

A glass shop should be able to cut a larger glass to size. Or to fabricate one of the correct size. A quick Google search turns up Glass Doctor of St. Joseph.

1 week later
    #3 3 years ago

You can't cut tempered glass, or I would have had a standard pinball glass cut down. I'm guessing the only way is to have one made to size locally. I just thought that would cost a bunch having just one made. I didn't know if anyone had source at a reasonable cost.

#4 3 years ago

Odd size glass you have to have a local glass shop make and it will be relatively expensive. Most pin retailers are only going to stock standard and widebody glass.

#5 3 years ago

Definitely pretty expensive for a one off.

If I remember correctly you will be looking at 80 to 100.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypalooza:

You can't cut tempered glass, or I would have had a standard pinball glass cut down.

I have three odd sized pieces of glass in some of my old EMs including one Bally that uses the same size you need. I went to the local glass shop and ordered three pieces of the correct sizes tempered and they were around 40 bucks a pop. Came in the next day and those old pieces of plate glass hit the dumpster.

Or you can order the correct one from Marco for $84, which I chose not to.
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/G-337

If you custom order tempered glass and specify "no bugs" they will leave the lettered "tempered" etchings off the corner.

#7 3 years ago

Thanks for the responses everyone. Looks like I'll have to take the plunge and special order.

#8 3 years ago

Try to find the place that actually does the tempering.

Your local glass shop only takes the order and then sends it to a larger shop that cuts the glass and puts it in the the oven.

Cut out the middleman.

Always spec "no bug". 50% of the time they will forget and etch the bug in anyway. When you see the bug, refuse the order (there is no law requiring the bug, don't let them bullshit you). Because tempered glass can't be cut again, they will offer the glass to you at 1/2 price rather than throw it in the dumpster.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I went to the local glass shop and ordered three pieces of the correct sizes tempered and they were around 40 bucks a pop. Came in the next day and those old pieces of plate glass hit the dumpster.

Quoted from o-din:

If you custom order tempered glass and specify "no bugs" they will leave the lettered "tempered" etchings off the corner.

Quoted from vid1900:

Always spec "no bug". 50% of the time they will forget and etch the bug in anyway. When you see the bug, refuse the order (there is no law requiring the bug, don't let them bullshit you). Because tempered glass can't be cut again, they will offer the glass to you at 1/2 price rather than throw it in the dumpster.

Good thing I haven't ordered a custom tempered glass cut yet. Will need to order one soon.

Bruce

#10 3 years ago

Is there anything wrong with plate glass? If you wanted to purchase a cheaper glass, could you use plate?

#11 3 years ago

You could but you'll get lambasted for even mentioning it.

Some of the earlier games had plate originally. Now I know we should always replace it with a nice piece of tempered but sometimes I don't .

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Is there anything wrong with plate glass? If you wanted to purchase a cheaper glass, could you use plate?

Just no fighting on your games Most of my 60's games have their plate glass in them.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Don't even think about it.

For the $12 difference, you would be insane to expose yourself/family to that danger.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

The only thing wrong with the pieces I replaced were they were scratched up with sharp and chipped edges. And they had lasted over 40 years.

But since I trust that stuff as far as I can throw it and custom tempered pieces were cheaper than some outlets charge for standard pinball glass, ordering tempered was a no brainer. That and tempered glass rarely if ever will slice through an artery.

#15 3 years ago

Call your local glass shops and see what they can do. I am having some tempered glass made for my Pennant Fever and the grand total was $35.00. I felt like that was a very fair price.

#16 3 years ago

Another problem I have noticed with plate glass is is has sharp square edges that will some times hit the upper channel as you put it back on a pinball machine, possibly breaking off tiny pieces of glass in the process. I don't want any of that falling on my playfield.

Pushing down on the glass in the back while sliding it in may prevent this but I'd rather play it safe and upgrade to tempered.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Some of the earlier games had plate originally. Now I know we should always replace it with a nice piece of tempered but sometimes I don't

The old wavy plate glass on woodrails is neat

OP, don't be discouraged if you can't find places to cut you custom tempered glass for $35. I've called a few local shops and get quotes of ~$75-80. I wish I could get the deals on glass people talk about here

#18 3 years ago

A friend of mine walked through a plate glass window at a laundromat and he is lucky to be alive. Severed arteries and tendons and a major loss of blood was a result. On the bright side the money from the lawsuit enabled him plenty of time to heal and now he is good as new again.

#19 3 years ago

I like keeping everything 100% original where possible but on buying a woodrail with glass that had razor sharp edges I decided to take it to the skip and buy safety.

Our cats jump on the games and it wasn't worth keeping razor sharp glass. It had a green tint.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

A friend of mine walked through a plate glass window at a laundromat and he is lucky to be alive. Severed arteries and tendons and a major loss of blood was a result. On the bright side the money from the lawsuit enabled him plenty of time to heal and now he is good as new again.

This interests me. How does he walk through a plate glass window, then manage to win a lawsuit? Did he not know, somehow, the glass was there?

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

This interests me. How does he walk through a plate glass window, then manage to win a lawsuit?

Because. 'Merica.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

How does he walk through a plate glass window, then manage to win a lawsuit? Did he not know, somehow, the glass was there?

How is a good question. He's not sure. He said he turned to walk out where he thought the door was and walked through a window instead. I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose. It may have been the insurance that took care of him. Apparently from what he told me there should have been tempered glass there not plate glass according to building codes.

#24 3 years ago

That looks like what probably happened. Without the blood.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sure, sure, it was a "friend of yours" -- probably the same "friend" that took out your screen door!

#26 3 years ago

I had a friend that fell through a plate glass window at the high school. They used to run the halls inside during the Winter, for wrestling I think. He tripped coming around a corner and went part way through. He got some stitches, no lawsuit that I'm aware of.

It seems running into plate glass window is not that uncommon. I've never know anyone that has cut themselves on a piece of playfield glass. Maybe we're pushing for tempered in the wrong places?

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Sure, sure, it was a "friend of yours" -- probably the same "friend" that took out your screen door!

No, different friends. The friend that took out the screen door was Rotordave. He came back last Friday with a few of his Kiwi friends. I was smart this time and put some blue tape across it so they would know it was there. The guy that went through the plate glass was a surfer buddy. He was probably stoned at the time.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I was smart this time and put some blue tape across it so they would know it was there.

True story. I was calling it Kiwi Tape™.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

True story. I was calling it Kiwi Tape™.

Aurich was there too. Wasn't it a good time? You should have gone with us to Magic Mountain on Sunday. Epic! Twisted Colossus FTW!

#30 3 years ago

local glass company can get a piece cut cheaper than most pinball stores sell for plus you can pick up and not have to deal with shipping. I have replaced 2 standards for approx $40 ea.

Just remember to tell them you don't want the tempered logo...

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Aurich was there too. Wasn't it a good time? You should have gone with us to Magic Mountain on Sunday. Epic! Twisted Colossus FTW!

I could classify the party under "Good Time [√]"

I had to coach an early morning soccer game or I would have stayed later. I think we left around 12:30am or so.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I like keeping everything 100% original where possible but on buying a woodrail with glass that had razor sharp edges I decided to take it to the skip and buy safety.
    Our cats jump on the games and it wasn't worth keeping razor sharp glass. It had a green tint.

I seriously doubt your cats would be able to break the glass; plate or not. Tempered is preferable, but I don't think plate glass is the terror it's made out to be. I also can never find the deals on tempered glass at glass shops that other cite here. Had to go with thick plate glass on a few occasions for odd sized pinball glass. They want $80-$90 for a sheet of tempered around here.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I also can never find the deals on tempered glass at glass shops that other cite here.

If you live near a large city, find the place that tempers the glass.

If you are buying from the local "glass shop" you are paying 3x too much.

Gene at IPB sold playfield glass @ $15 - and he was not doing it out of the kindness of his heart, he was banking.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I think we left around 12:30am or so.

It was around 3 AM and Rotordave and Nimble were the last ones left. They were having it out on Big Daddy. I was trying to play Flipper.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 41.00
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Latenight Weeknight Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 17.99
    Playfield - Decals
    Lermods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 174.99
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 34.50
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside