(Topic ID: 148522)

Need new laser printer, what specs?

By tezting

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20140309_141307_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20140308_233545_(resized).jpg
    9b_(resized).PNG
    sw2_(resized).PNG
    sw1_(resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from tezting:

Do you think it is a setting or is it because of the model/dpi?

I use a business-class color copier to print my decals. The blacks are true black.

However, if you have wear spots where the wood is showing, you'll need to fill and paint them neutral gray, otherwise the wear spot will be somewhat visible through the decal.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-touchdown-playfield-repairs-with-waterslide-decals

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from tezting:

Could you share the model?

It's a konica minolta. Not sure of the model off-hand. I think the retail price on it is something like $10-$15k...probably a bit out a hobbyist's price range.

Quoted from tezting:

Thanks, I will level it by dropping 2PAC do you think that is enough or should I also paint it after the 2PAC?

I haven't tried it. Print two copies and do a test fit. If it works without needing the neutral gray, great. If not, just spray down some neutral gray on top of the worn area, then put the decal over it.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Superchicken:

Your base should be white. That is the color of the backing paper for the decal. Anything else will change the color when mounted. The exception to this is when the color underneath matches the decal. Waterslide decals are very thin. Vinyl decals not so much.

That doesn't work well for a spot repair. It shows through the decal. Neutral gray is a better match.

If you were doing an overlay for the whole playfield, then white would be the way to go.

#16 8 years ago

I've read that the print quality with LED printers isn't as good. But, I haven't actually seen a side-by-side comparison yet.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from Superchicken:

The line art on playfields don't really demand high resolution. If there is a difference it would show up in photos.

Good point, but print quality also includes things like color gamut and noise. Resolution is just one factor.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-new-laser-printer-what-specs?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.