(Topic ID: 148522)

Need new laser printer, what specs?

By tezting

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20140309_141307_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20140308_233545_(resized).jpg
    9b_(resized).PNG
    sw2_(resized).PNG
    sw1_(resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Superchicken.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago

I purchased an Okidata C531dn.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP31F3956&cm_re=okidata-_-28-107-685-_-Product

It has features that help with color matching which is my biggest challenge. The color saturation is OK. I'd like to see blacker blacks. I may just need to spend some more time tuning it though.

#4 8 years ago

I think it is more the nature of laser on thin membrane. Sometimes if I'm doing clear decals I will double them up on top of each other. But yes still playing with the settings.

sw1_(resized).PNGsw1_(resized).PNGsw2_(resized).PNGsw2_(resized).PNG

#10 8 years ago

Your base should be white. That is the color of the backing paper for the decal. Anything else will change the color when mounted. The exception to this is when the color underneath matches the decal. Waterslide decals are very thin. Vinyl decals not so much.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That doesn't work well for a spot repair. It shows through the decal. Neutral gray is a better match.
    If you were doing an overlay for the whole playfield, then white would be the way to go.

Here is a trough that got filled in under the white decal. It should gotten painted white first:

9b_(resized).PNG9b_(resized).PNG

I mask the areas and airbrush white. You have to have a boarder to end on:
    IMG_20140308_233545_(resized).jpgIMG_20140308_233545_(resized).jpg

#15 8 years ago

Here are things to look for:
    Separate toner cartridges for each color plus black
    LED printheads - low temp so less chance of melting your decal
    Color management interface - color matching is the number 1 challenge
    SD Memory expansion
    Can print on transparencies or velum - used to print drafts for alignment. Many printers can't do this.

IMG_20140309_141307_(resized).jpgIMG_20140309_141307_(resized).jpg

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've read that the print quality with LED printers isn't as good. But, I haven't actually seen a side-by-side comparison yet.

The line art on playfields don't really demand high resolution. If there is a difference it would show up in photos.

#20 8 years ago

PC Mag has a good review section for printers. I'm not a fan of multifunction printers for desktop publishing. If the printer cost is $300 and has a scanner, then the cost of the scanner gets taken out of the printer. Xerox and OKI have a good rep for laser DTP. Epson has good inkjets. Laser class LED printers have an advantage when printing waterslide decals because they run cool compared Laser printers. It only takes one melted decal in the drum and you throw the printer away. Read the decal vendor's instructions about this. There are LED printers that don't preform well doing graphics so read the reviews. Also pay attention to paper handling. Decal paper is heavy. You don't want it to have to make a U-turn when it is fed to the top of the printer. A flat feed out the side is important. Printing transparencies is very important for me as I do a lot of PF repair work. Making sure everything registers correctly with the existing art can take many small adjustments. You don't want to burn through decal paper doing that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Superchicken.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-new-laser-printer-what-specs?tu=Superchicken and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.