(Topic ID: 318856)

Need new glass - Any advice for using local glass company?

By Pookiegus

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pookiegus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I have a Gottlieb Flipper pool that has plate glass in it. I'd like to replace it with modern glass from a local glass supplier.

What measurements should I give them. Also what type of glass and instructions should I give them.

Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

Measure the old piece, or bring it to them. Replacement should be tempered and tell them no logo/bug/stamp on the new piece.

#3 1 year ago

Sorry, but it is unlikely a local glass shop will be any help. Local shops do not temper glass, they would order it to your specs. Also likely have a minimum order of several sheets and be super expensive. Plenty of pinheads in your area, reach out here, somebody must have spare used glass.

#4 1 year ago

My local glass shop buffed the edges, cut the glass $40.00
Done in 2 hours for pick up.

#5 1 year ago

I’ve done it before at a local place. It turned out fine. A bit cheaper than ordering online but also more effort by me.

#6 1 year ago

specify tempered glass

#7 1 year ago

Since it’s tempered, all the glass shops In my area needed to order it. I got price quotes from $138-$240

I called a pinball/amusements company and they have replacement glass for $75

#8 1 year ago

Wow, I remember when new glass was $10.

John

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Pookiegus:

Since it’s tempered, all the glass shops In my area needed to order it. I got price quotes from $138-$240
I called a pinball/amusements company and they have replacement glass for $75

That's way too much. It should be $30-$40.

Tempered glass, no logo/bug. Sanded (not polished) edges. Polishing is expensive.

#10 1 year ago

I can not imagine any edge work done after the glass is tempered. That is the weak point. If it was sanded/buffed/polished after tempering, I would
think it is in fact plate glass. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Drain1:

Sorry, but it is unlikely a local glass shop will be any help. Local shops do not temper glass, they would order it to your specs. Also likely have a minimum order of several sheets and be super expensive. Plenty of pinheads in your area, reach out here, somebody must have spare used glass.

wrong, lots of glass shops can get it. i got 3 within 15 miles of me 1 piece was about $55

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Drain1:

I can not imagine any edge work done after the glass is tempered. That is the weak point. If it was sanded/buffed/polished after tempering, I would
think it is in fact plate glass. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

The edge has to be treated in some way, otherwise it's a safety issue. Tempered glass is very sharp. The edges are treated at the factory, so they know how to do it properly.

#13 1 year ago

Yeah, think I paid $45 for a single sheet from a glass shop near me. Tempered, no logo, sanded/beveled edge.

Like others have said, they had to order is special, but it was pretty cheap. Much cheaper than ordering online, once you factor in shipping.

#14 1 year ago

I get it locally when in a pinch. 3/16" thick, tempered, no logo. They never ask me about the edges; so I get them however they come in. It used to be about $50 including tax when I picked some up years ago. At that time Pinball Life used to ship 2 for $80. Then it was cheaper to get two shipped than two made locally. I know the prices have gone up since then. But lately I pick them up at Pinball Life during Expo for $20 or $25 a sheet so I order several when I go.

#15 1 year ago

They have to Arris the edges before when they temper the glass, otherwise it will explode in the kiln. Just give sizes and as people said above and no stamp. Another tip if you want clearer glass ask for low iron glass but that does cost more.

Don't mention pinball machine either, say it's for an old coffee table

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Don't mention pinball machine either, say it's for an old coffee table

Why?

Whenever I've ordered glass, they didn't seem to really care what it was going to be used for

#17 1 year ago

Glass Doctor in my town. $40 good to go

#18 1 year ago

Order the tempered glass from a big glass shop:

3/16" clear tempered glass, by whatever your glass size is. Likely standard size.

It will fit slightly looser dont be alarmed. Gottlieb games used metric glass size originally. Its slightly thicker than 3/16" but no way as thick as 1/4"

NO-LOGO (or bug)

Sanded edges

The last glass I ordered was metric and very slightly thicker than 3/16"

But it fits well in all cases.

The price should be about $35 or less of you order 10-15 sheets like I do. I can get 100 sheets for $16 each. Its not the glass thats costs the money its the natural gas to heat the oven.

The usually have it for replacements for glass cases and tabletops.

Definitely shop by price. Many glass shops order it from the place that has the oven locally, and double its price as a markup.

The place that has the oven will be the lowest cost.

It can be a big secret to find out who has the oven....

#19 1 year ago

Same here. Local glass shop, ordered it easy peasy. Sanded edges, everything. $40. Didn't know they were going to put that stupid stamp/info on it. They never told me about it, and I didn't know beforehand. Oh well, that will be my utility piece that'll go into games that I might get that have a ton of scratches or don't even come with glass until I get a nice new sheet for them.

#20 1 year ago

I asked for quotes from four different Connecticut glass shops. They varied in price from $85-$250 and all had to special order. I ended up getting it from pinball.com/automated services in Milford for $75 and picked it up that day.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-new-glass-any-advice-for-using-local-glass-company and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.