• 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by revmex
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider revmex.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

This years Houston arcade expo has really opened up my eyes to the two pins that I have. I suppose it was the "wow" I felt when I saw how the expo's TAF had mods and LEDs. I've had my TAF for about 4 years and I think I'm actually taking care of it when in reality I do not know. You can say I browse youtube videos on maintenance and read a post or two here on pinside. I'm realizing that, as a pin owner, that I don't even know if I'm properly taking care of my pin or getting the most out of it.

Does it make sense to hire a pinball maintenance person to come and give the pins a yearly (or bi yearly) checkups?

I've always cleaned around the areas of my playfield with novus but I've never removed any parts to get underneath. I suppose it's a fear to think that I'm disassembling it.

How do the non pin experts maintain their pins to ensure they're getting the best from it and extend its life?

-rev

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for the links! I've surfed around but haven't ran across this. Do you guys typically remove ramps to get underneath? I guess it's like anything else - take pictures and take your time.

-rev

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Do you wax it?
Which novus do you use? If you're constantly using #2, all you're doing is wearing down the playfield. #2 is abrasive.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide/
Taking things apart isn't that scary. Just take lots and lots of photos from all different angles and at every step of disassembly and every time you remove a screw or a nut.

I've only waxed TAF once in 4 years but it's been sitting there for 2 years since I've moved and have a newborn. Now that the family has settled then I'm back at playing it more regularly. I recall using novus 1 and mothers wax (red bottle). I have an led kit coming in this week and I'm going to clean it we'll as I install the bulbs.
Do you use a wool buffer on a hand drill? Or do you buff by hand?

I will be reading the links to see if that answers my question.

-rev

#10 7 years ago

I suppose the bigger question was how do people know they're getting the most of their pin and keeping up with it? I may think I'm doing a good job until someone comes over and points things out because they have experience. I think I only have internet knowledge but wondered if that's good enough. I suppose it is since my pins are HUO.

-rev

#13 7 years ago

Thanks all for your replies.

-rev

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

You really should bite the bullet and remove the ramps and clean the hidden areas, and any subways as well. If those areas are dirty, the areas you're cleaning now will just get dirty again fast as the balls will carry and spread that crap all over the game. In a home environment, that kind of thing probably only needs doing every year or two depending how much it gets played, but once you do that, the rest of the game stays cleaner much longer.

Most definately will do this. I received my lighting kit in the mail so I figured all day cleaning and upgrading the TAF this weekend.

-rev

1 month later
#30 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Since I am close by, I can get rid of your batteries in TAF as well as Gorgar by installing NVRAM. Being battery free is a great thing!

Thanks! Sorry I don't follow up often on my posts.
I wonder if I can set up alerts on posts I started.
Will see you soon as planned.

- Rev

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

If the play field hasn't been disassembled and cleaned thoroughly in years and years, it's really best to do that. Including cleaning subway ramps and things under the PF. if the hidden areas are dirty , he ball will track it all over soon after you clean. If you do one thorough cleaning like that you don't need to do it again for years. But again its all up to you. Enjoy your machine as you want to. But it sounds like you are concerned about the machine so that's my advice.
Jack

I cleaned my TAF and changed rubber pieces over the holiday vacation. I took plenty of pictures. Not too bad of a job although adding the new led lights seemed like a long task. I learned about my play field. I noticed a crack (broken piece) in my clear ramp. In short, I noticed all these little tid bits that I never noticed before - that's a good thing. But it's also a bad thing because I can get bothered by the smallest thing meaning that I start debating with myself on replacing broken things because now I know it's there.

-Rev

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 180.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,159.00
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider revmex.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-n00b-advice-getting-the-most-out-of-your-game?tu=revmex and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.