• Latest reply 7 years ago by revmex
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

This years Houston arcade expo has really opened up my eyes to the two pins that I have. I suppose it was the "wow" I felt when I saw how the expo's TAF had mods and LEDs. I've had my TAF for about 4 years and I think I'm actually taking care of it when in reality I do not know. You can say I browse youtube videos on maintenance and read a post or two here on pinside. I'm realizing that, as a pin owner, that I don't even know if I'm properly taking care of my pin or getting the most out of it.

Does it make sense to hire a pinball maintenance person to come and give the pins a yearly (or bi yearly) checkups?

I've always cleaned around the areas of my playfield with novus but I've never removed any parts to get underneath. I suppose it's a fear to think that I'm disassembling it.

How do the non pin experts maintain their pins to ensure they're getting the best from it and extend its life?

-rev

#2 7 years ago

It's commercial equipment in a home environment so generally it holds up well. Make sure you change your AA batteries assuming your TAF still has them as it did originally.
I'm sure other pinsiders will swoop in with lots of advice.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from revmex:

Does it make sense to hire a pinball maintenance person to come and give the pins a yearly (or bi yearly) checkups?

I wouldn't think so, you are going to know if something isn't working properly, and a home machine will never see enough usage to warrant an annual inspection. I do recommend inspecting your balls regularly and looking over this post for proper care of the playfield:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for the links! I've surfed around but haven't ran across this. Do you guys typically remove ramps to get underneath? I guess it's like anything else - take pictures and take your time.

-rev

#5 7 years ago

Do you wax it?

Which novus do you use? If you're constantly using #2, all you're doing is wearing down the playfield. #2 is abrasive.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide/

Taking things apart isn't that scary. Just take lots and lots of photos from all different angles and at every step of disassembly and every time you remove a screw or a nut.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from revmex:

Thanks for the links! I've surfed around but haven't ran across this. Do you guys typically remove ramps to get underneath? I guess it's like anything else - take pictures and take your time.
-rev

If you're careful, sometimes you can use a vacuum with a micro vacuum attachment kit to reach certain areas.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#7 7 years ago

When you have the glass off for cleaning look closely for loose posts. If a screw is bent or hole is damaged the sooner you fix it the better. Also inspect all rubber. Cracked rubber makes more dust. If you have to remove a piece plan on cleaning everything you can while it's out.

Go through the switches in test mode every few months to make sure they are registering.

With power off, raise playfield and move your coils by hand, making sure they move freely.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Do you wax it?
Which novus do you use? If you're constantly using #2, all you're doing is wearing down the playfield. #2 is abrasive.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide/
Taking things apart isn't that scary. Just take lots and lots of photos from all different angles and at every step of disassembly and every time you remove a screw or a nut.

I've only waxed TAF once in 4 years but it's been sitting there for 2 years since I've moved and have a newborn. Now that the family has settled then I'm back at playing it more regularly. I recall using novus 1 and mothers wax (red bottle). I have an led kit coming in this week and I'm going to clean it we'll as I install the bulbs.
Do you use a wool buffer on a hand drill? Or do you buff by hand?

I will be reading the links to see if that answers my question.

-rev

#9 7 years ago

Don't use liquid wax--that's basically just silicone and won't last long. Use carnauba wax, as indicated in the thread I linked to.

I usually just buff by hand.

#10 7 years ago

I suppose the bigger question was how do people know they're getting the most of their pin and keeping up with it? I may think I'm doing a good job until someone comes over and points things out because they have experience. I think I only have internet knowledge but wondered if that's good enough. I suppose it is since my pins are HUO.

-rev

#11 7 years ago

Seriously just read all of Vid's posts in his playfield maintenance guide. More than anything you seem to be stuck in a mindset of "I can't do it" which is a sure fire way to be unable to do something. Vid's guide is very thorough, especially for HUO.

Basically, you want to use as little "gusto" as you can to get the job done. Vacuum the machine out first and see if that cleans it. If there are trails of dirt from the ball, try a little Novus 1 (not 2) and wipe it down. Then wipe it again with a plain microfiber cloth. Touch the playfield, if your finger can't slide smoothly across it it needs wax. If you used the Novus 1 it'll need wax as well, since the playfield will now be cleaned. As others have said, check the balls too and make sure they're not rusted or chipped at all. If they don't have a shine and look like they've "gone dark", replace em anyway. Ball replacement is like $4 and is cheap enough to be done every 3-6 months depending on how many plays the game is getting.

Unless you're looking at a really banged up route machine or REALLY poorly cared for HUO, you rarely need anything more intense than that.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from revmex:

I suppose the bigger question was how do people know they're getting the most of their pin

Do you have fun playing it? That is getting the most out of a pin.

All you really need to do is make sure you're not hurting it with rusty or chipped balls. Clean it once in a while as suggested above, and if something gets lose, fix it, it will just get worse.

At some point you will do a teardown, and yes, the first one is overwhelming. So many parts the fit together. And then they get easier. Take LOTS of pictures from every angle, and then take more. Just hover around the game with a camera, and point to things that look complex in the pictures. Take even more pictures as you take things apart. You will expose stuff that wasn't seen in the first set. As you take things off, hold it in your hand and snap another.

It sounds like overkill, but they will help you put it all back together. After a couple like that, it becomes much easier. You will start to understand how games get put together. And the first one you put back together is a thrill.

You are the steward of the game while you own it. Try to make it better for the next owner, or at least no worse. Then just have fun.

#13 7 years ago

Thanks all for your replies.

-rev

#14 7 years ago

Think the comment by force where he suggested using a mini vac. I have exactly what he has pictures andnuse it regularly. Great way to keep the playfield clean. Highly suggest.
G

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Think the comment by force where he suggested using a mini vac. I have exactly what he has pictures andnuse it regularly. Great way to keep the playfield clean. Highly suggest.
G

You don't necessarily need a shop vac or mini vac....you can use the attachments on a regular house vacuum, as long as it has a hose.

#16 7 years ago

Why were you downvoted for that comment. I'd love to know what the name of that product is so I can buy it. I'd love to do some mild cleaning under the WoZ's mini playfields without having to detach the darn things every time I go to vacuum it.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

Why were you downvoted for that comment. I'd love to know what the name of that product is so I can buy it. I'd love to do some mild cleaning under the WoZ's mini playfields without having to detach the darn things every time I go to vacuum it.

whysnow probably has some grievance with me again.

It's called a micro vacuum attachment kit. You can find them on ebay, amazon, and hardware stores.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

whysnow probably has some grievance with me again.
It's called a micro vacuum attachment kit. You can find them on ebay, amazon, and hardware stores.

nope, I just disagree with what you said. Thumbs down is a simple way to show you dont agree with a post, not a personal attack. Speaking of, getting tired of your same BS all the time of making digs against me and then touting your mod status.

I bought the same minivac kit on your reccomendation and it sucks (but not literally). Waste of money, does not get anything really clean, and teaches noobs to cut corners rather than clean things up the right way. Sure it can work for general dust in easy to reach spaces, but is poor for a real cleaning.

#19 7 years ago

I just throw a bucket of water and soap over the machine after taking the playfield glass off, and start scrubbing it with the same extension brush I wash my car with. JUST KIDDING.

What everyone else said. Just make sure your balls aren't grinding the playfield down (that didn't sound right...or did it?) Vid's guides cover everything about pinball you need to know, beginning with Moses parting the seas so he could get the very first pinball game ever made out of Egypt.

Get the confidence up to rip it down, because you'll have to do that to access some of the LED's on TAF. If you run into a problem, there's more than enough people on here that can help you if you get stuck. Definitely run a switch edge, illumination and display test occasionally, just to make sure there's no issues.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I bought the same minivac kit on your reccomendation and it sucks (but not literally). Waste of money, does not get anything really clean, and teaches noobs to cut corners rather than clean things up the right way. Sure it can work for general dust in easy to reach spaces, but is poor for a real cleaning.

I use it as a first-pass to suck up any loose dirt & dust. It doesn't replace a wipe-down, just precedes it.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Speaking of, getting tired of your same BS all the time of making digs against me and then touting your mod status.

Digs like that against me are exactly why I assumed your downvote was retaliatory.

#21 7 years ago

You really should bite the bullet and remove the ramps and clean the hidden areas, and any subways as well. If those areas are dirty, the areas you're cleaning now will just get dirty again fast as the balls will carry and spread that crap all over the game. In a home environment, that kind of thing probably only needs doing every year or two depending how much it gets played, but once you do that, the rest of the game stays cleaner much longer.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

You really should bite the bullet and remove the ramps and clean the hidden areas, and any subways as well. If those areas are dirty, the areas you're cleaning now will just get dirty again fast as the balls will carry and spread that crap all over the game. In a home environment, that kind of thing probably only needs doing every year or two depending how much it gets played, but once you do that, the rest of the game stays cleaner much longer.

Most definately will do this. I received my lighting kit in the mail so I figured all day cleaning and upgrading the TAF this weekend.

-rev

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from revmex:

I received my lighting kit in the mail so I figured all day cleaning and upgrading the TAF this weekend.

Since you are new to this. Please turn the game off when putting in your new lighting.

Later as you gain in experience, then do it with the power on. Then you can learn all about shorted switch matrix issues on your CPU.

LTG : )

3 weeks later
#24 7 years ago

Since I am close by, I can get rid of your batteries in TAF as well as Gorgar by installing NVRAM. Being battery free is a great thing!

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from revmex:

Not really. This is something you can do yourself. Use the switch test to test out all the switches and optos and then use the coil test to test all the coils and the lamp test to make sure all the insert lamps are working.

But once you know your game pretty well, you'll notice a problem and you can use those tests to see what you can find out to help narrow down the problem(s).

#26 7 years ago

I generally wax and replace balls with PinballLife super shiny balls every 6 months. On those times I do not do a full tear down and generally wax the parts easily accessible unless there are ball trails are something more obvious.

Here is a related question which I've often wondered: instead of replacing balls is it okay to put them in a tumbler like folks do for smaller metallic parts and let them get all shined up that way? If so, can someone suggest a tumbler to use?

Thanks.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I generally wax and replace balls with PinballLife super shiny balls every 6 months. On those times I do not do a full tear down and generally wax the parts easily accessible unless there are ball trails are something more obvious.
Here is a related question which I've often wondered: instead of replacing balls is it okay to put them in a tumbler like folks do for smaller metallic parts and let them get all shined up that way? If so, can someone suggest a tumbler to use?
Thanks.

i know people do it ... i have no idea if this really makes them as good as new or not (wouldn't it make them smaller, even if just a little bit?).

you can find plenty of opinions, but i doubt you'll find much objective science on the issue.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

(wouldn't it make them smaller, even if just a little bit?).

They are easy to measure with a micrometer. Accuracy down to the nearest ten thousandth of an inch. I expect you could tumble them in any common media with no significant size change.

If anyone local has a tumbler and wants to test PM me. I have the measuring tools.

#29 7 years ago

Owning a pin is like owning a boat or motorcycle for example. If you are really interested in excellent maintenance you need to take the time to learn more about the machine and get comfortable taking things apart to some extent. The internet is rich with info. Now, if you don't want to take it that far you can do minimal maintenance and for the most part the machine will be fine. This includes cleaning the play field regularly (waxing optional) in all the places you can reach. Changing balls when they become pitted. Changing batteries yearly. Changing rubbers as needed (flippers and slings much more often than the rest). Fixing parts as they break.

If the play field hasn't been disassembled and cleaned thoroughly in years and years, it's really best to do that. Including cleaning subway ramps and things under the PF. if the hidden areas are dirty , he ball will track it all over soon after you clean. If you do one thorough cleaning like that you don't need to do it again for years. But again its all up to you. Enjoy your machine as you want to. But it sounds like you are concerned about the machine so that's my advice.

Jack

1 week later
#30 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Since I am close by, I can get rid of your batteries in TAF as well as Gorgar by installing NVRAM. Being battery free is a great thing!

Thanks! Sorry I don't follow up often on my posts.
I wonder if I can set up alerts on posts I started.
Will see you soon as planned.

- Rev

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

If the play field hasn't been disassembled and cleaned thoroughly in years and years, it's really best to do that. Including cleaning subway ramps and things under the PF. if the hidden areas are dirty , he ball will track it all over soon after you clean. If you do one thorough cleaning like that you don't need to do it again for years. But again its all up to you. Enjoy your machine as you want to. But it sounds like you are concerned about the machine so that's my advice.
Jack

I cleaned my TAF and changed rubber pieces over the holiday vacation. I took plenty of pictures. Not too bad of a job although adding the new led lights seemed like a long task. I learned about my play field. I noticed a crack (broken piece) in my clear ramp. In short, I noticed all these little tid bits that I never noticed before - that's a good thing. But it's also a bad thing because I can get bothered by the smallest thing meaning that I start debating with myself on replacing broken things because now I know it's there.

-Rev

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-n00b-advice-getting-the-most-out-of-your-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.