Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160903_153616 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
landing (resized).jpg
tmp_18527-20160901_2134001158640054.jpg
tmp_18527-20160901_203716-788065290.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kidvid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Got a call from Katie at jersey jack a week ago, saying my hobbit had been built and was ready for delivery. $350 to leave it on a pallet in my driveway and $725 for white glove, including a flight of stairs.

Ideally, we'd like to put it on the second floor but I'm not sure it's even possible. The attached image shows the landing at the bottom of our stairs. The black square is how much room the pin would take if I removed the backbox (the movers won't know how to remove the backbox and I might not be home when they're there). The blue tape represents overhang from wood trim or stair edges. Between the blue tape at the edge of the first step and the black square is 6.5 inches.

Another data point is that I live in the northern Virginia area and there's a company around here that can rent escalera stair climbing hand trucks at 85 a day. I called escalera and the depth of the unit, not including the plate is 6.5". The plate is 4',and the frame itself is five. So, it might be possible to shimmy the toeplate under the pin but there won't be any room to tilt it back. It would have to lift it completely vertically for the first step.

If we had to, we could put the pin in the back of our living room on the first floor, but we do have a designated gameroom on the second floor. Also, if we were to pay for white glove delivery, I can't figure out if the movers could pull this off, both going up and eventually back down when it comes time to sell the house a few years down the road.

Any thoughts?

tmp_18527-20160901_203716-788065290.jpgtmp_18527-20160901_203716-788065290.jpg

tmp_18527-20160901_2134001158640054.jpgtmp_18527-20160901_2134001158640054.jpg

#6 7 years ago

The landing is 32"x39". I just uploaded a picture. The base of the pin without the backbox is about 25 x 24.

It sounds like maybe I should pay for the white glove and if they can't get it up the steps then just put it in the living room and call it a day.

landing (resized).jpglanding (resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I have the exact same scenario, except I don't have a hand rail to lift over......mine is a wall.
With only 1 friend, I have carried up Stern and Williams games both. Remove the head first and foremost. Then carrying the game body on its side to the landing and setting it down on your foam square or nice heavy rug. At this time the bottom of the game cabinet is facing the steps. One person above the game and one below, tilt the game towards the steps while the lower person squeezes in enough to get it lifted to the first step. Then there should be enough room for the lower person to actually get in there and pick it up. You both carry the game up the stairs, then reassemble at the top.

Did you pull out the playfield first? Sounds really heavy to carry by hand. Also, when you moved it up the steps, did you use a dolly? I think the Hobbit at 300 pounds without the backbox, wouldn't be do-able without some equipment.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

You could build some sort of block that fills the landing to the same height of the first stair. Now the landing is larger, and you have room to get the truck under the pin and tilt it back.
But if you trust yourself not to drop or squish any integral electronic bits, it might be marginally easier overall to remove the glass, PF, and backbox as others have suggested.

This was a great idea! I had some extra cinder blocks laying around. With a piece of plywood on top, the height is just about the same as the stair step. I put some 3/4" plywood on top of the cinderbock and in front of them, protected the floor under it with some old carpet, put a sheet of very thin 1/4" plywood on top to smooth out the transition between the box and the step. Hopefully, it'll work.

20160903_153616 (resized).jpg20160903_153616 (resized).jpg

#20 7 years ago

From what I've read of other people's experience with the Woz and Hobbit, I'm really wondering if I'll need to rent an Escalara...at 300 pounds, it sounds really heavy.

What's the best way to get it off the pallet onto the dolly? Also, if I bring it up to the landing, and I want to rotate it so the bottom faces the upper stairs, what's the best way to do that? The other alternative would be to pull it off the dolly at the base of the stairs, take it up sideways to the landing and then reposition the dolly on the bottom.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Starwriter:

Unless you get a bunch of guys, and lift it over the rail, like I suggested, the wall, the stairs, or the game are going to show battle scars. Trust me, even with that platform you made, it's gonna get real ugly with a dolly. There is no way there's enough room on your homemade landing for the pin, the dolly, and enough people to heft it up there. There is no way you're going to rotate it on the landing with the dolly. But, hey, it's your pin, and your walls. Make sure you get it on video. As mentioned above, if you want to be really safe, pull the playfield out too. Then you're left with 3 pieces that are about 100 lbs each.

Do you think that would still be the case if I were to rent a motorized Escalera? You're painting a pretty scary picture.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kidvid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-moving-advice-for-new-pin?tu=kidvid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.