Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by adrock
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I just purchased a LX-7 ROM/Chip from ebay for my Star Trek The Next Generation. I found out it does not have the software patch to keep LED replacement bulbs from ghosting or not shutting off all the way. So I am looking for a replacement that includes the patch, or someone who can patch it for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

James

#2 8 years ago

Well I am purchasing one from hobbyroms. If anyone wants to buy my stock LX-7, let me know. $10 shipped.

2 months later
#3 8 years ago

Hi just wondering if your new patch has made any diffrence to your playfield lights and if your using normal or no ghosting leds,

regards waz

#4 8 years ago

i'm interested in this topic as well. my STTNG ghosts pretty badly right now.

i am wondering if i should get "non-ghosting" LEDs, or if i'm better off replacing the ROM.

#5 8 years ago

Patched rom works great, much cheaper then buying bulbs. Running mine for a couple months now, no issues. Just so you know, it removes almost all ghosting, you probably will not notice it, but it is not %100, more like 98.5%. It had to be pointed out to me after I patched it is so subtle. Anyone that wants to send me a blank or their original, I will burn it for you, PM me

#6 8 years ago

This is good news. I was afraid that the patched ROMs are not working well.
I'm quite surprised that people are investing much in "non ghosting" LEDs, where there is a simple solution available for WPC, which costs about 10$.

#7 8 years ago

Yep. Patched ROM is great in this one.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from flugs:

This is good news. I was afraid that the patched ROMs are not working well.
I'm quite surprised that people are investing much in "non ghosting" LEDs, where there is a simple solution available for WPC, which costs about 10$.

A lot of Stern games still need the non-ghosting

#9 8 years ago

Hey now, is there somewhere we can download the updated ROM so I can burn it myself?

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from paulohotline:

Hey now, is there somewhere we can download the updated ROM so I can burn it myself?

ipdb.org has a lot of the ROMS and has the patched versions for some games I've seen

#11 8 years ago

My pinball says LA-7. However I notice on hobbyroms it says:

U6: Version L-7
LA-7 Checksum: E607
LX-7 Checksum: E507
Date: February 17, 1994

What does this mean? Do i need a new rom regardless and if I order from hobbyroms he will give me LX-7?

I have never delved into this before.

#12 8 years ago

Quoted from pezpunk:

i'm interested in this topic as well. my STTNG ghosts pretty badly right now.
i am wondering if i should get "non-ghosting" LEDs, or if i'm better off replacing the ROM.

If you have access to a burner why not try the patch.
It doesn't always eliminate all ghosting but in almost all cases it seems to eliminate 99% of it and what may be left is very slight.

Info: http://emmytech.com/arcade/

I feel one of the nice things about the patch is it allows you to have a wide selection of leds that can be used 1led/2led, super bright, flex, etc... to get the effect I'm looking for vs being limited to
whats available in non-ghosting leds.
<end shameless plug>

#13 8 years ago

^^^^^^^^
Trust him - he knows what he's talking about!

viperrwk

#14 8 years ago

Hey now, does the "Special Sound ROMs LX-7" rom set located on (http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2357) include the no ghosting patch?

This is the one I just got burned along with the voice addon chips. Is this LX-7 unique to accomodate turning the special speech on and off in the menu?

Version L-7
Date: February 17, 1994
U6: Checksum: E607 (A - USA/Canada)
Checksum: E507 (X - Export)

Adjustment a.2 #28 - Turn on special speech function.

Has anyone here patched this version and does it work? If someone has this file confirmed working with the voice addon and the ghost patch, please PM me

1 week later
#15 8 years ago

I'm also interested in this, as I just bought a STTNG.

I have several options:

A) Update all bulbs to non-ghosting LEDs (cointaker's premium update to their LED kit)
B) Update all bulbs to standard LEDs and burn the prom (this is really only a $20 savings)
C) Non-ghosting LEDs and burn the prom.

The real question I'm interested in having answered is with scenario A. Will this option eliminate enough of the ghosting.. or is the solution really with the prom update?

#16 8 years ago

Hey now, does the "Special Sound ROMs LX-7" rom set located on (http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2357) include the no ghosting patch?
Has anyone here patched this version and does it work?

It has not been updated with the later lamp matrix driver code. It can be patched and should work fine after doing so, though I have not personally tried it.

Quoted from shivan128:

The real question I'm interested in having answered is with scenario A. Will this option eliminate enough of the ghosting.. or is the solution really with the prom update?

Either option should work though you have more style and vendor choices with option B. You can do option C but it makes no sense to do so.

viperrwk

#17 8 years ago

I patched my roms myself. Much better.
Did it mths ago ... when I need to update the roms for ColorDMD.
IIRC; I downloaded the roms from ipdb.org and then patched.
UVErased existing roms and then programmed them.

#18 8 years ago

I have the patched file if anyone needs it, send me a PM and I will email it to you

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

I have the patched file if anyone needs it, send me a PM and I will email it to you

This is for the LX rom with the LED support patched?

6 years later
#20 2 years ago

HobbyRoms still has it for $17 shipped to USA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside