(Topic ID: 23232)

Need input on TAF machine

By funchaser

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

So I've been looking for a good TAF lately. My preference is to find a really nice player machine, so I'm willing to go towards the 4k mark.

I finally have a lead on one, but I'm not sure what to think after looking at the pictures:

http://flic.kr/ps/2iLopL

It seems like this machine is decent, but not towards the upper end of the price range.
However, I'm no expert (i.e. I'm still new to fixing pinballs and know nothing about TAFs either), so I'm wondering if maybe the issues that this machine has are easy to fix?

Here are a few notes directly from the seller:

"...it has some playfield wear...most of the mansion inserts have similar wear…
I do have a new mansion overlay that I haven’t put on and would include with the machine. Everything works great and the only light I couldn’t get to work was the extraball light. I also have one of the magnets unplugged as it was getting hot and I didn’t want it to burn the playfield..the other 2 work well. I did just go through it and cleaned it / replaced many of the rubbers.. certainly not a professional shop job but a minor strip down and cleaning....rebuilt one of the flippers"

The guy is 6 hours away.

My main concerns are:

1) Are there any major issue that you can tell from the pictures?

2) Assuming no major issues, what would be an appropriate price for this one?

3) If it is near the lower end of the price range, how much would it cost (and how much effort would it take) to get it to the upper end? I know this question might be hard to answer without seeing in person.

4) He's offered to drive the 6 hours to my place and drop it off. But I'm weary about agreeing to buy it without seeing in person (and I wouldn't be too excited to drive 6 hours and leave
empty-handed). Is this a really risky/bad idea?

One other thing - he's near Lake of the Woods in MN. Are there any pinsiders up there that could check the machine out for me?

This is a lengthy post (and filled with a lot of questions), so I appreciate any feedback anyone has.

Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

1) Not that I can see.

2) Can't tell you for sure but I think most games in this condition don't go above $3500.

3) Can't give you an educated answer to that.

4) Explain to him all you would have to do to repair that wear: sand down the inserts, buy new decals, replace the standup targets, do some playfield touchups. Also mention the magnet as you likely have a locked on transistor and if you can't replace it yourself you'll either have to pay someone to or buy a new magnet board. And a fuse kit is a must. From the level of detail in the photos you had a pretty good idea of what you're getting I think.

#3 11 years ago

good luck finding a magnet board.

I can't seem to find one anywhere.

#4 11 years ago

I'm closer than you, but still 3 hours away.

#5 11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm still on the fence with this; not sure if I should just wait until a better one comes along. If I do pull the trigger, does an offer of 3200 sound about right?

#6 11 years ago

I'd offer $2900, and let him counter offer you. If he says no, then up it to $3200.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 180.00
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-input-on-taf-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.