• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

centerflange.jpg
el-wide.jpg
el-2spr.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dougram69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

For anyone who has rebuilt a Funhouse Rudy head, can you please provide some assistance. I am in the middle of a FH playfield swap and have completely rebuilt the head with new plungers, springs, centering flange and elbow grease. The plunger links are completely smooth and not binding anywhere. The problem I have is as follows.

1. When the vertical eyelid plunger pulls down to pass through the horizontal plastic plunger and catches on the small protruding hook, it has a decent amount of drag on it. This is caused by the new spring pushing on the horizontal white plastic plunger in resting state. If I take tension off the springs, the two plungers work effortlessly. With new springs installed, there is a but of drag on the vertical plunger to get pulled pass the catch point. Is this normal? I am used to flipper links needing to be super smooth and wondering if this is normal for the Rudy head? See pics.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Much
dougram69

State 1
el-2spr.jpgel-2spr.jpg

State 2
el-wide.jpgel-wide.jpg

#7 8 years ago

Is it possible I have the centering flange on wrong for the vertical plunger . (Note, Pics are for reference not actual inside of my Rudy head.) Should it be on the side closest to the coil or on the underside of the end bracket? Also, narrow end in toward plunger or out toward bottom? None of the videos, manual or internet pics ever show this and mine was without one. Please help.

Thanks
dougram69
centerflange.jpgcenterflange.jpg

#9 8 years ago

Good news. That's how I installed it.

Thanks
dogram69

#10 8 years ago

Ok finally figured it out by taking the head apart again. Note, the vertical and horizontal plunger springs are not the same size or same strength. The horizontal spring is a bit shorter than the vertical spring. It is a bit weaker as using the same size spring for both puts too much pull / resistance on the horizontal plunger. I save the old springs and luckily saw the difference. I put the smaller spring back in on the horizontal plunger and the whole mechanism works perfectly. Super smooth, no noticeable drag / resistance. Works great. Just posting this in case someone else runs into this problem. Total oversight on my part as I just assumed they were the same and replaced both with the same size spring from Marco. My mistake.

Thanks
dougram69

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dougram69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-input-from-folks-who-have-rebuilt-rudy-head?tu=dougram69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.