Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by GRUMPY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170830_200625 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170830_200323 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170830_200405 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170830_200212 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    IMG_4417 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1554 (resized).JPG
    2463-the-rocky-horror-picture-show-full (resized).jpg
    Pll-season-7-poster (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I'm looking for a little input for a retheme project I'm planning on having done for me.

Need a good donor machine that can have music changed or added with pinball browser, pinsound board or even wav/MP3 triggers.

Not looking to have any game code rewritten.

Any suggestions?

Thx!

#2 6 years ago

What theme are you thinking about? How old of a machine are you looking for, or how new?

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

What theme are you thinking about? How old of a machine are you looking for, or how new?

The WHO and for a machine not really sure. Need to be able to obviously integrate music into the game.

#4 6 years ago

Pll-season-7-poster (resized).jpgPll-season-7-poster (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

for a music & movie pin..

2463-the-rocky-horror-picture-show-full (resized).jpg2463-the-rocky-horror-picture-show-full (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

IMG_1554 (resized).JPGIMG_1554 (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago

I'm set on the theme- just need a machine that is fun and can be modified to integrate the music.

#9 6 years ago

I do like Tommy but that really doesn't feature the WHO's real music. When I say real, I mean their big hits that made them.

Or were you suggesting to retheme Tommy into the WHO?

#11 6 years ago

I'm on the hunt for a Judge Dredd that will be turned into an Anthrax themed pin. It's going to be awesome.

IMG_4417 (resized).JPGIMG_4417 (resized).JPG

#12 6 years ago

I don't typically put my ideas out there on these threads, but since I had not seen one of these lately and am bored on my lunch break, here is the growing list of ideas I have written down and in no particular order:

The Crow
    Men in Black
    Tombstone
    Dark Shadows
    Halloween
    Willy Wonka
    Bad Boys
    Pink Floyd
    VW
    Smokey and the Bandit
    The Beatles
    The Matrix.

You will get countless others, so maybe one or two of the replies will get your creative juices flowing.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Smokey and the Bandit

This would be great just for the soundclips alone.

#14 6 years ago

Rick and Morty !!!!

#15 6 years ago

maybe all you people posting your theme ideas could try reading the thread before posting. he's looking for a game to convert, not ideas for a theme.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

maybe all you people posting your theme ideas could try reading the thread before posting. he's looking for a game to convert, not ideas for a theme.

A Hollywood Heat machine would fit his requirements.

#17 6 years ago

I think any machine you can find that is roached is a good donor machine, but you have to like the layout. Whatever you pickup, the easiest way to integrate the mp3 trigger is to swap out all the existing stacked switches with an extra stack so it's separate from the AC voltage.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

A Hollywood Heat machine would fit his requirements.

I always found Hollywood Heat's layout pretty fun.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

maybe all you people posting your theme ideas could try reading the thread before posting. he's looking for a game to convert. not ideas for a theme.

They are responding to the thread title...

#20 6 years ago

I edited the title so it is clear.

My theme is The Who - the rock band

My need is a good machine to make it happen.

#21 6 years ago

Title is much better

Now, I've never rethemed a machine, and I don't know what it would take to do that, but I will throw Bally's Party Animal out there-- it's got a built in jukebox, and you change songs by hitting the targets under it.

#22 6 years ago

Stern's Rolling Stones. Music and DMD animations are easily replaceable with pinball browser. And, other than the lower playfield, the rest of the playfield and inserts are fairly generic rock stuff.

#23 6 years ago

Awesome.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from mozach:

Stern's Rolling Stones. Music and DMD animations are easily replaceable with pinball browser. And, other than the lower playfield, the rest of the playfield and inserts are fairly generic rock stuff.

I've heard this one a bunch however I have this in my collection and like it a bunch but a second one probably would not be good idea.

#25 6 years ago

Whatever you can find since the original theme isn't important.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

theme is The Who - the rock band

So with that nugget of clarification, what sort of budget do you have for the doner machine?

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

So with that nugget of clarification, what sort of budget do you have for the doner machine?

i vote Big Bang Bar

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i vote Big Bang Bar

Funny!

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Maybe as high as 3k. I'd like to keep overall budget under the cost of a new machine.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Quoted from Psw757:

I edited the title so it is clear.
    My theme is The Who - the rock band

Thanks for that. It wasn't clear at first.

Rolling Stones have a lot of potential and would be fairly easy playfield wise since only a small portion of the playfield needs to be modified art wise. The Rolling Stones to Iron Maiden turned out nice.

#31 6 years ago

I say a cheap system 3 game that already has a terrible theme.

I'd really like to retheme gladiators into a Zelda game (the theme it was always supposed to be). Gladiators plays decently enough, but damn, what a waste of artwork it is.

Same goes for Mario Andretti or World Challenge Soccer. Ugly games that really don't play as poorly as they let on.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Thanks for that. It wasn't clear at first.
    Rolling Stones have a lot of potential and would be fairly easy playfield wise since only a small portion of the playfield needs to be modified art wise. The Rolling Stones to Iron Maiden turned out nice.

I was thinking on the high end maybe a routed kiss pro.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Minneapolispin:

I'm on the hunt for a Judge Dredd that will be turned into an Anthrax themed pin. It's going to be awesome.

RESPECT THE BADGE!

#34 6 years ago

How about an "original" theme of your own?

#35 6 years ago

Maybe you're going about this backwards.

I'm working on a similar project and when I started, I visualized what The finished game would be like. What kinds of modes would it have? What kind of features would it need? How would it flow from one song to the next?

I decided that the playfield had to have a kick out hole to lock the ball, drop targets, a spinner and a set of lanes. I wanted the game to have a classic late 1970's feel. Then I looked for games that fit the criteria (excluding rare titles) and decided that Flash would be the perfect donor game to re-theme.

So my advice is to start with the ending in mind. Visualize your finished game and then scour the IPDB to find the right match.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

Maybe you're going about this backwards.
    I'm working on a similar project and when I started, I visualized what The finished game would be like. What kinds of modes would it have? What kind of features would it need? How would it flow from one song to the next?
    I decided that the playfield had to have a kick out hole to lock the ball, drop targets, a spinner and a set of lanes. I wanted the game to have a classic late 1970's feel. Then I looked for games that fit the criteria (excluding rare titles) and decided that Flash would be the perfect donor game to re-theme.
    So my advice is to start with the ending in mind. Visualize your finished game and then scour the IPDB to find the right match.

These are all valid points. The one thing that makes it tough is that the theme is based on music.

Mp3/wav triggers are fine for sounds and speech but with music it makes it a little harder to integrate into the older machines.

#37 6 years ago

Have a look at what I've done with a music theme. Lots of videos in the later posts:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-retheme-project

#38 6 years ago

I've been following that thread, awesome job by the way.

Gave me the idea to retheme a machine. Not sure I want to get into recoding everything and is kind of why I am thinking a routed beat up kiss pro maybe a good machine to use. I like the game play and layout but not a kiss fan.

I'm still considering all options at this point though.

#39 6 years ago

Save some money! Cabinet is ready to go.

IMG_20170830_200212 (resized).jpgIMG_20170830_200212 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170830_200405 (resized).jpgIMG_20170830_200405 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170830_200323 (resized).jpgIMG_20170830_200323 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170830_200625 (resized).jpgIMG_20170830_200625 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-ideas-for-retheme?hl=blueberryjohnson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.