Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by mbaumle
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

So, a while back, I picked up a HUO lights camera action. Only problem: It was missing the topper, just like so many other LCAs out there. I asked the seller if they had the topper, and their response was heartbreaking, "Oh, well, it didn't fit in our basement with it on, and my mom thought it was clutter, so she threw it out years ago." The overall condition of the game, and it's price, were enough (at the time) to convince me to buy it, but now I yearn for the topper.

Anyway, I know these things are damn near impossible to get (unless any of you guys would like to spare one!), so I'm thinking I'd just create my own. My plan is to buy 2 of these guys: http://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Movie-Studio-Desk-Lamp/dp/B00M4GIT9M/ref=sr_1_4 (or something similar) and somehow wire them up to the top of the backbox with the colored lights inside.

The one concern I have though, is that the manual I have for the game doesn't seem to have any information or schematics regarding the operation of the topper. Does the game wire right into the two bulbs in the topper supply power for both lights? Or is there some type of relay/circuitry in the original topper that offloads some of the demand from the game itself? There are two connectors labeled A12J8 and A12J9, but the wires looks just too small to be able to power the high intensity flood lights in the original topper.

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#2 8 years ago

If you are trying to power a #89 or #906 or even #1251 bulbs the games CPU could handle that. If your trying to control 120 volt AC items then you will need some sort of interface board such as relays or triacs. If you know what you want for the topper and how you want it to operate I could design something for you.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

If you are trying to power a #89 or #906 or even #1251 bulbs the games CPU could handle that. If your trying to control 120 volt AC items then you will need some sort of interface board such as relays or triacs.

Yea, figured that much. The thing though is that I'm not 100% certain that the game would need all that. Those two cables clearly go to each bulb for the topper, and they're of a thicker gauge wire.

After looking, it looks almost certain that the game provides 2 relays in the bottom of the cabinet to send power to each bulb in the topper, so I don't think I'd need to design anything. Yet. There's two mystery relays under the cabinet, but after running a volt test with my meter while activating the relays in test mode, I get nothing. I'll do some more digging later when I have more time. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pawtucket, RI
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-helpadvice-with-custom-topper-for-lights-camera-action and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.