• Latest reply 2 years ago by jonny_eh
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2042 (resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

My Stern Star Trek Pro has had a problem with its optos for awhile now, but recently it's gotten a lot worse. While playing the game will start rapidly registering hits to the warp ramp. Putting the game into its switch test, I can see that it's a combination of the warp ramp, left ramp, and the two vengeance optos that are triggering. I first tried using an IDC tool to make sure the wires going into the 4-pin connector for the two opto amplifier boards were well seated, at best that briefly seems to solve the problem. I then replaced one opto amplifier board then the other, but, the problem remains. I then took a long hard look at the wires coming into the four pin connector to the opto amplifier board that handles the warp and left ramps. I decided I didn't like a kink in the red and black wires thinking maybe I had a break in the line, I pulled them out of the connector, cut them, soldered in new wire, and used an IDC tool to shove it in the 4 pin connector. No change. My next test was disconnecting the 4-pin connector for the vengeance opto amplifier board with the game volume cranked up and left in switch test. So far, the game hasn't made a peep, when usual I would get a spurt of rapid fire beeping after a few minutes. I've got a couple thought on where to go from here and I'm looking for advice on which way to go.

1) Redo the red and black wires on the 4 pin connector to the vengeance opto amplifier. Like the Warp and Left ramp opto amplifier, the red and black wires are pulled pretty tight and black has a kink in it.

2) Replace the 4 opto transceivers under the vengeance. Seems like a possible solution, but the thing I don't get is why the left/warp ramp optos are registering in addition to the vengeance optos if the problem is only with the vengeance optos?

3) Check the connector in the back box. The problem here is I have no idea what connectors in the back box lead to the opto amplifier boards.

So one of the above or something completely different?

#2 7 years ago

I ended up re-seating the connector in the back box - in particular, J6. So far after a couple days of play, it seems to be working.

#3 7 years ago

I've seen optos on Sterns have one of the solder pads break off the back of it causing intermittent connection. Also more rarely I've seen the lead inside the led actually break, also causing intermittent issues.

1 year later
#4 5 years ago

Old thread bump.

I just rebuilt a ST Stern after stripping it down to the playfield. It did exactly this. All 8 opto switches (ramps and vengeance) going spazzzztic. They are not on the same row or column, and span 4 different opto amplifier boards. I'll take a look at the back box, but it would appear that the ONLY way this could happen is intermittent +5V or ground that is common to all of those opto boards. I'll have to check J6 later.

2 years later
#5 3 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Old thread bump.
I just rebuilt a ST Stern after stripping it down to the playfield. It did exactly this. All 8 opto switches (ramps and vengeance) going spazzzztic. They are not on the same row or column, and span 4 different opto amplifier boards. I'll take a look at the back box, but it would appear that the ONLY way this could happen is intermittent +5V or ground that is common to all of those opto boards. I'll have to check J6 later.

wxforecaster Did you ever find out if this was the case of not? I have this exact thing happening?

7 months later
#6 2 years ago

wxforecaster and Ecw0930 I'm currently having the same opto issue in my ST. Did either of you find a cause to the problem?

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

wxforecaster and Ecw0930 I'm currently having the same opto issue in my ST. Did either of you find a cause to the problem?

If I may, I had to battle opto issues with star trek as well. It turned out that when I did a playfield swap, not one but two opto boards crapped out on me. They appear to be very fragile. If you lift up your playfield you will see 4 smallish boards underneath. Each board controls two different opto pairs. I had to replace mine.

Now I'm not sure if this is precisely the issue you're having, but it does happen often. I reached out to stern and they have them. It is worth a shot. What I did was tested which opto is failing for you, and trace that to the respective board underneath. Swap the bad board with a good one and see if the problem moves.

Now if they ALL are having problems, thenbid say it is somewhere in the back box.... and I would be of no help beyond that. Let us know.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Now if they ALL are having problems, thenbid say it is somewhere in the back box.... and I would be of no help beyond that. Let us know.

That seems to be the case for me. It happens intermittently and I can't find a way to cause it to happen. When it does it seems to affect all the optos though. I was hoping someone else has figured out the cause.

#9 2 years ago

I still have the game but I can't remember for the life of me what I did. I want to say I ended up replacing the board as the issue was not literally every opto going bad (although they are fragile)

#10 2 years ago

this happens to my premium on the warp ramp. i find if i reseat the opto to the board, it fixes it for a while. but there is no rhyme or reason. my machine is on site and I'll get a call from a regular player saying that it's doing it again. I'll ask him to just power cycle the machine and it won't do it for weeks, other times it won't stop.
sometimes i go to give the machine a tidy up and a once over, and it's recorded a thousand warp ramp champion

9 months later
#11 2 years ago

Apologies for resurrecting this ancient thread but I've recently started battling this issue. The upper playfield optos powered by amplifier boards have been going haywire. It started off being intermittent, but now it's fairly reliably broken.

One interesting new bit of info is that they work fine… if only one of the four amplifier boards are connected at a time. Each one works fine independently, but as soon as I connect one of the other boards, they both start firing randomly.

I've reseated the connectors to the I/O board J13/J16.

Video of the switch test:

Picture of the J13 connector (is that janky daughter board normal?):

IMG_2042 (resized).jpegIMG_2042 (resized).jpeg
#12 2 years ago

Solved: I realized that I didn't check the CPU board connections from the opto boards. I then noticed that boards 1,3,4 connect to J6, and board 2 connects to J1. So I connect 1 and 2 at the same time, and there was no issue. So it turns out that connecting any two boards that connect to J6 on the CPU board have an issue! So I check J6 on the CPU board (it's unlabeled, but whatever) and it wasn't properly seated! Pushed it in fully, reconnected the boards, and the game is as good as new. I suppose I should have read this thread more carefully.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-wstern-star-trek-optos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.