Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2030 (resized).JPG
IMG_1744 (resized).JPG
IMG_20190201_101244573 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190201_101237805 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190201_101222503 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190201_101150986 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider themadman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Issue is on the boards, I identified that I tested by jumpering in the top post.

Did you unplug ALL switch connectors (205, 260, 207, 208, 298, 212) from the WPC board before testing by jumpering?

All ASIC chips are equal. WPC89-95s. The fliptronic boards may be different, but that's a different board....

Forget anything downstream, opto boards and such....

Get into switch edge test, remove all 6 connectors from the board and test by jumpering 1 row to one column on 207 and 209
(the test is NOT valid if the other connectors are NOT empty)

Did the board test out stand alone before being returned to the machine and after changing out U18, U19, U20?

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I don't have the equipment to bench test the MPU unfortunately.
If I follow Terry's guide at https://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/146-switch-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting#jumper-method which only unplugs J207/J209, then I can perform the tests. If I unplug all of 205, 207, 208, 212, then I get an error on boot to check Fuses F114 and F115 and can not proceed. Pretty sure I need 205 and 212 to be in place for jumper testing.

The F115 error doesn't matter, as long as 205 is plugged in you can get to diagnostics. If you Don't get the error, then the board is not isolated to test.

Once in diagnostics and switch edge test, go ahead and remove 205 as well... This will isolate the entire board from all switches and wiring. You're basically bench testing at this point, with the DMD and machines power supply.

With the symptoms your describing, I would have went for U20 as the issue, but since there still there after replacement of U20, the board needs to be fully isolated to be sure where the problem is... do you have a pic of the board? Was/Is there battery corrosion damage to the resistor network between U18-U20 and the 205-212 connectors?

If you isolate it fully and it still reports multiple switches, then it's time to chart exactly what happens on each column/row when connected, and decide if U20 is still bad, or there is a short in the resistor network going up to U20.

My guess is back to the opto board though, as it was still in circuit if you did not disconnect all (up to) 6 of the connections at the bottom of the board before testing....

And yes, the instructions are not perfect in the fact they don't say remove everything after getting into switch test.
from his note above the procedure: Note: J206 and J207 (column drives) are electrically the same and the connector may go to either one. The same is true of the two switch row connectors, J208 and J209.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The problem is you have no idea what problems the corrosion is causing. Could be your whole problem, could be none of it. You'll be chasing your tail testing and swapping stuff that's sometimes working and sometimes not because the traces connecting the components aren't reliable any more.

That board really took some damage to the back side from the batteries... There's a short somewhere where the corrosion has eaten through the traces, and is still there causing a bridge between them. I wouldn't have said it was that bad from the front side pic, but the back side looks pretty bad.

And for the most part it is now isolated to the board. But if you had fixed it when you were repairing it (something we don't know) and replacing u20, and now u20 is blown again, there could still be a wiring problem in the machine that may blow another board....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.95
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider themadman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-wpc-switch-matrix-stumper?tu=themadman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.