• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Nugent Stern Electronics, 1978
#1 6 years ago

I've got one light out on the playfield. Its the 1000 pt bonus light. Can't seem to find any schematics for the lamp driver to figure out which component is bad. The bulb/socket test good. Which SCR? Also, no sound. The SB 100 it came with is tan and has a lot of labeled unused "holes". Appears factory. I've reflowed solder on all the header pins. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

That vintage game often tied the 1K bonus light into the GI string because it was always on by default. Are the rest of the GI lights under the plastics burning?

Some games also ran the sound board off the GI AC voltage as well.

So you might have a blown GI fuse causing all your grief.

#3 6 years ago

Nugent uses the same game ROMs as Lectronamo, so you can use the Lectronamo schematics found online as a guide. In this case, the 1,000 bonus light is activated by SCR Q14 on the lamp board.

Regarding the sound board, grab the Hot Hand schematics - it has the best quality scan of the SB-100 circuit diagram. Start by checking the voltages at the test points.
There's 4 pages of good info here:
http://www.techdose.com/projects/Stern-Pinball-SB100-Sound-Board/346/page1.html

#4 6 years ago

Oh, one more thing.
Since someones replaced the sound board with the later rev C-1 board in your game, you must make sure that dip switch 23 on the MPU board is set to ON to select "Computer type sounds", otherwise you will get no sound. Setting this switch to OFF requires a SB100 with the chime simulation components fitted and the rev C-1 board doesn't have them.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys. I have tried both switch 8 and 23 in both positions in regards to the sounds, to no avail. Every other lamp on the game works fine, including both GI and playfield. I will check on the SCR Q14 on the lamp board. Everything else works on the game.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Nugent uses the same game ROMs as Lectronamo, so you can use the Lectronamo schematics found online as a guide. In this case, the 1,000 bonus light is activated by SCR Q14 on the lamp board.
Regarding the sound board, grab the Hot Hand schematics - it has the best quality scan of the SB-100 circuit diagram. Start by checking the voltages at the test points.
There's 4 pages of good info here:
http://www.techdose.com/projects/Stern-Pinball-SB100-Sound-Board/346/page1.html

Hey, thanks for the correction and saving kitty time and trouble with my mis-info...

#7 6 years ago

Q14 was the SCR in question. Now all lights work. Been working on getting 5 displays going. I fiddled w/the pots on the soundboard and noticed a change in the speed and tone in the noise coming from the speaker, but still no game sounds. The saga continues....thanks for the help so far guys.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Hey, thanks for the correction...

You've been a little quiet around here lately, hope everything's ok

Quoted from pinkid:

I fiddled w/the pots on the soundboard and noticed a change in the speed and tone in the noise coming from the speaker, but still no game sounds.

Were these "noises" while the game was trying to play sounds or just some background noise?

Check the supply voltages at these test points on the sound board:
TP7 = 12VDC
TP9 = 10VDC
TP6 = 5VDC
TP4 = Ground reference

These sound board test points are the outputs of the tone generators. Since they're square waves with about 50% duty cycle, you should measure about 2.5V (half the 5V supply voltage) with your multi-meter.
TP2 = 2.5V
TP3 = 2.5V
TP5 = 2.5V

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-wnugent and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.