View topic image gallery

IMG_8267 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 5.57.19 PM (resized).png
IMG_8246 (resized).JPG
IMG_8244 (resized).JPG
IMG_8243 (resized).JPG
IMG_8245 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

I picked up an re-import Creature From the Black Lagoon and just finished fixing the jumpers.
I have converted System 11 games in the past, but never an WPC.
I noticed that the WPC games have a three prong receiver in the back of the game, but I recall having to make some changes in the junction box adjacent the power switch with System 11 games and I want to make sure I don't blow this sucker up.
See pics of what I have done and what I have, and thanks in advance for your help.
Can I just attach a three prong power cable and go, or do I have more work to do?

IMG_8243 (resized).JPGIMG_8243 (resized).JPGIMG_8244 (resized).JPGIMG_8244 (resized).JPGIMG_8245 (resized).JPGIMG_8245 (resized).JPG

#2 5 years ago

P.S., I cracked open my reimport TZ (converted before I got it) to see how that looked. It looked pretty much just like the CFTBL.

IMG_8246 (resized).JPGIMG_8246 (resized).JPG

#4 5 years ago

So apart from the MOV, can I at least start to power it up, and check it out while I am waiting for my MOV to arrive?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from bkaelin:

can I at least start to power it up

Yes. Your wire colors look correct, black hot, white neutral, green ground.

#6 5 years ago

So any advice on how to slowly power this up without blowing fuses?
I remember doing that with my system 11 games, disconnecting different high voltage areas then slowly bringing different connectors online.

#7 5 years ago

So I went ahead and powered it up. BIG noise on start up. Disconnected sound card and tried again.
Went into attract mode just fine, doesn't see the balls yet.
But what's the deal with the sound?
I'm afraid to connect the sound connectors.

#8 5 years ago

Lots of WPC games can have a loud noise (ding or a bong) when you turn on the power switch. If the machine has not been turned on in a long time, the batteries are probably weak/dead and the machine has reverted back to factory settings. Usually it makes the volume TOO LOUD and you need to turn the volume down.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Lots of WPC games can have a loud noise (ding or a bong) when you turn on the power switch. If the machine has not been turned on in a long time, the batteries are probably weak/dead and the machine has reverted back to factory settings. Usually it makes the volume TOO LOUD and you need to turn the volume down.

This is no bong. It is a consistent solid shriek, the volume control makes no difference.
I had to disconnect one of the connectors to stop it. So no sounds for now....
any ideas?

#10 5 years ago

If your TAF or TZ are known working then put the CFTBL sound board in your TAF or TZ (swap the sound ROMs, of course).

If the CFTBL board in the TAF or TZ produces the same result (solid shriek) then your CFTBL board has a problem (possibly the amplifier but I have no evidence for that conclusion).

If the CFTBL board in the TAF or TZ works then the problem is with the CFTBL machine (possibly wiring or power derivation).

It's unlikely you will cause any further damage to the CFTBL doing this. However ... do this at your own risk. If you're game then you could try the reverse but if there's a problem with the CFTBL wiring or power then you could damage the TAF or TZ board.

You can isolate between digital and analog by disconnecting the AC power input and sound output connectors on the sound board leaving only the digital power connector connected. If the digital section is fine then it should start with no sound error (possibly other errors but not sound related).

#11 5 years ago

OK, here is something weird. The ribbon cable for the display appears to be installed backwards on the display board.
The red line on the ribbon cable is on the right, rather than the left (pin 1 appears to be on the left side at J603, see image) however...it appears to be working.
I checked another WPC game I have, and the cable is installed the other way, with the red line on the left side at J603, adjacent pin 1.
What's going on?
Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 5.57.19 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-01-12 at 5.57.19 PM (resized).png

#12 5 years ago

The ribbon cable is not keyed. The red line does not really matter. If you care about this then just swap the orientation around.

#13 5 years ago

Awesome, thanks!

#14 5 years ago

I should be explicit in that as long as the wire connected to pin 1 on one end lines up with the connector marked pin 1 on the other end that's all that matters.

#15 5 years ago

I have the same problem with a Judge Dredd re-import. In addition, the DMD shows just a bunch of noise. I have installed a new Rottendog driver board thinking that would fix the problem but it didn't. Not sure where to go from here.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

DMD shows just a bunch of noise. ...Not sure where to go from here.

Start with Pinwiki: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Display_problems

#17 5 years ago

I have the same problem with a Judge Dredd re-import. In addition, the DMD shows just a bunch of noise. I have installed a new Rottendog driver board thinking that would fix the problem but it didn't. Not sure where to go from here.

If you have a known good then you can perform the same diagnostic differentiation by swapping boards (and ribbon cables) between your Judge Dredd and Demolition Man. They are both wide-body WPC-DCS machines.

#18 5 years ago

When you say you have the same problem, which problem do you mean.....the audio problem?

#19 5 years ago

Check out C-28.
I don't think it is supposed to look like that.
This may be part of the problem.
Time to call Chris Hibler!

IMG_8267 (resized).JPGIMG_8267 (resized).JPG
#20 5 years ago
Quoted from bkaelin:

When you say you have the same problem, which problem do you mean.....the audio problem?

I had that problem and swapped out the ribbon cables....problem fixed.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

If you have a known good then you can perform the same diagnostic differentiation by swapping boards (and ribbon cables) between your Judge Dredd and Demolition Man. They are both wide-body WPC-DCS machines.

Quoted from bkaelin:

I had that problem and swapped out the ribbon cables....problem fixed.

Thanks for you input, everyone. DumbAss had suggested swapping the power driver boards between my working Demo Man and the Judge Dredd but it never occured to me to swap the other known working boards and cables. I'll dig in further soon and report back...

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from bkaelin:

Check out C-28.
This may be part of the problem.

[quoted image]

I was going to swap in a sound card from another game, but here is my question:
If the cap fried itself, what is to prevent the same thing from happening again when I pop in the other sound card?
I want to make sure that I have addressed any underlying problem.
OR is it more likely that the failure at C-28 is primarily due to the age of the board?

#23 5 years ago

Failure was due to C28 itself.

No problem swapping another sound board into the game.

#24 5 years ago

Yes these caps fail quite frequently and mostly they go out with bang. First time it happened to me i was pretty shocked, thinking i misplaced a connector or something like that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 9.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.95
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-wpc-reimport-conversion-to-us and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.