(Topic ID: 286323)

Need help with system 1 game: slow response time.

By System-J

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy (2) (resized).jpg
1N5819.png
1N5817.png
BAT49.png
BAT42.png
IMG_20210115_185655 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210115_182629 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210115_160409 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210115_160403 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210131_200341 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210130_010035 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hey all system 1 experts out there. I've been slowly restoring a Gottlieb Dragon with a lot of success but I've hit a roadblock and hope there's someone out there with advice:
It's not actually a slow response as it is no-responce to switches when things many switches are hit quickly. Similar to an EM (which I guess is fitting since it's retro-graded with chimes). For instance you hit a switch or two that register and quickly hit the spinner. But the spinner doesn't register. This could be any switch really (most frustrating when the 'A' lane doesn't register.)
I saw in the official repair manual that all slow response can come from bad switch diodes, so I replaced all of them. I thought it fixed the problem, or at least made it faster, but playing it more now, I'm not convinced.
All original boards. Power supply rebuilt and testing great. Mpu never had a problem (as far as I know) but has some corrosion (that I've neutralized). Driver board was a mess but I've rebuilt a lot of it too. Pretty much re-pinned all the cables. It was previously retro-graded with chimes. All clay Harrell bulletproofing done. And as I said all switch diodes replaced.
Note: this slow/no response problem has always existed since I began the restore.
So is this a known problem on system 1's (this is my first system 1 project) or is there a possibility of a problem somewhere that could be slowing the response?
I've looked for others with this problem without luck. If anyone can help or point me to an existing post with information on this, there's a beer in it for you.

#2 3 years ago

Oh following this thread! I’m interested in knowing about this as well.

1 week later
#3 3 years ago

Bump!
Man, no one has an opinion on this problem? Not even a smart-a**ed remark on Gottliebs or system 1?
Does anyone out there have a system 1 with an original mpu that can see if this is a thing on their game?

#4 3 years ago

Sorry, I got nothing. I wish I was better at system 1 stuff. Just keep asking and one of the masters will respond.

#5 3 years ago

Maybe bad CPU clock? You could try replacing the 3.579 MHz crystal.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from System-J:

Pretty much re-pinned all the cables.

Do the ones you haven't done so far. If you can't find the right housings, ask here.

In no particular order...

The original low power switches on System 1's are gold plated. If someone has used sandpaper or a file on them, they should be replaced. The fingers on the board connectors get worn. Pull the boards and look at fingers. If you can borrow a Ni-Whupf or other aftermarket CPU board, definitely try that to rule out the CPU board.

#7 3 years ago

So what happens if you manually only give the spinner a decent flick or only tap each target/scoring switch one at a time 10 times very quickly? Do they all fail registering about the same % of score increments when dealing with just one switch? Might help narrow it down if it is really only a problem with certain switches or certain group(s) of switches that are common to the same strobe lines, chip, connector etc.

#8 3 years ago

Not sure it is relevent but:
I have owned system 1 thru 80b and have always notice a lag when multiple scoring occurs.
My Volcano that i presently own has "oiled" spinner. Hitting that spinner and continued fast scoring requires the mpu to "catch up" when it can.
I remember it was the same with basically all of the SS gottliebs i have owned over the years. Some had original mpu and at least one had a ni- wumph.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Not sure it is relevent but:
I have owned system 1 thru 80b and have always notice a lag when multiple scoring occurs.
My Volcano that i presently own has "oiled" spinner. Hitting that spinner and continued fast scoring requires the mpu to "catch up" when it can.
I remember it was the same with basically all of the SS gottliebs i have owned over the years. Some had original mpu and at least one had a ni- wumph.

That makes sense to me. I have 2 Sys1 games, and if you do happen to trigger multiple events, it will catch up.. even over the span of many seconds if needed. Sinbad is a great example where you could collect the 5x, and have that count down, while scoring more bonus.. and have the machine literally play catch up for a minute.

Perhaps this memory is stored or buffered in ram or one of the spiders? I really don't know, but I can say the ram is definitely suspect to go bad on many original boards.

I've repaired a couple sys1's from the ashes, but never had this symptom.

If you want a less expensive test, the lisy.dev sys1 boards are EXCELLENT, and very inexpensive to build..

Thanks-

#10 3 years ago

Which diodes did you replace, and what part numbers did you replace them with? Switches take 1N270 diodes, not your typical 1N4004's.

#12 3 years ago

Here's the gold I was expecting from this forum. Thanks guys.

Tuukka Re:CPU clock. I've thought of that. It's in my back pocket right now. If I need to replace the memory I'll probably do this at the same time as the part is pretty cheep and easy to find.

phishrace: Thanks, you're right I should get off my a$$ and do the rest. So many of them were in horrible shape and I haven't done the pins between the mpu and the power supply. I've tested the power on the MPU and it seems stable but I should do this anyways.

frenchmarky Re: switch registers. I just tried it and it seems somewhat consistent. Giving the spinner a rip seems to stop registering after 5 spins. If I touch either of the top targets 10 times, they too only register the first 5 hits. The star rollovers act different though. Each one registers fine if you hit them individually--but if you hit one then the next quickly only the first registers.

PinballAir Re: delayed response. Thanks man, very relevant and really useful info. Especially with multiple boards. Yeah, mine seems to not register at all after one to 5 hits until there's time for the mpu to catch up I guess.

koji . Ya definitely could be the memory then, right. (Please don't let it be the spider chip!) I'll look into getting a replacement ram chip. Maybe time to break out the logic probe and see if I can figure out how to use it again. Hopefully there's a step-by-step guide out there for using a logic probe on System1's--I'm not even close to understanding what the hi-low means without someone telling me if it's normal or not. ... I'll look into the lisy.dev boards, I've never heard of them but you sold me on "inexpensive".

JethroP Re: diodes. I used 1N4148 which I understood as equivalent. Plus it didn't seem to make the problem worse and if anything seemed to help a little. But I've always had this problem on this pin.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from System-J:

I used 1N4148 which I understood as equivalent.

4148 were used by other manufacturer's at the time to replace 1n4004 on the switch matrix, but Gottlieb is fussy and wants the 1n270's for some reason. While it may seemingly work, the 270's should be used instead.

Just repeating long ago wisdom from RGP and other places. Never tried it myself.

#14 3 years ago

1N270 are germanium diodes which typically have a lower forward bias voltage drop of around 0.3 volts compared to silicon diodes which is said to be around 0.6 volts. Most 1N4148 silicon diodes I measure at low current are around 0.7 volts.

Gottlieb switch strobe lines are active low and the return lines connect to a 7405 TTL chip.
The logic "Low" level for a TTL chip is considered between 0 and 0.8 volts. Using a 1N4148 leaves next to no room for margin with only 0.1 volt difference which can get lost in connectors. This can result in active switch return voltages not reaching an acceptable low level and becoming "indeterminate".
Germanium diodes at 0.3 voltage drop leaves more margin of 0.5 volts at the input of the CPU boards 7405 chips switch return lines.

If good 1N270 diodes can't be sourced, try 1N5819 schottky diodes which have a low voltage drop. I've measured some here at low current to be 0.25 volts. It's also a reason they're used on pinball MPU boards as blocking diodes for non-rechargeable batteries because of their low voltage drop.

This may or may not have anything to do with the OP's problem though.

#15 3 years ago

Thanks for the info guys. I was just following clay Harrells recommendations for replacement from his repair guide. Kicking myself now as I'm not sure if it helped anyways and the old ones didn't seem to stressed. Harrell also recommend 1N914 as a replacement. Is that wrong as well?
I mean, I haven't noticed any bad changes so far with the 1n4148's, so hopefully it's ok anyways.

#16 3 years ago

So, I've since re-pinned the a2-j2 ribbon supplying the 5&-12 to the mpu. Right after I check to see if any change. It seemed to help right after I did it but hard to tell for sure (it would register 6-9 spins instead of the 5) but still no 'catching up' scorring. I then re-pinned the a2-j1 (power to power supply) and a1-j7 (switches to mpu); no change. I checked the voltages again. The power supply and mpu have a steady 5 (ish) and -12. And stay steady even if I trigger any switches quickly.
So, seems like slight change but could be just perception (for instance, scorring is more consistent if switches are hit slower. And it's hard to be consistent when your flipping the spinner as fast as you can).
I still haven't given the game a test drive actually playing yet. But there's some other things I've discovered:

#17 3 years ago

While looking over the mpu I noticed a strange hack that I was surprised I missed earlier. (See pic) One of the ceramic caps has a bypass for some reason. Anyone know why someone would do this?
I'm just going to de-solder one side and see what happens. I haven't even tested the cap yet to see if there's a short. Which I don't even know would matter anyways with a bypass.

Doing some research too on the ram, I only found reference to it being used for the high score and audits. So I'm guessing it's not the problem with the stunted scoring. (too bad since I have a spare 5101). I also cleared the audits and reset the dips to default (as Harrell recommends while diagnosing the cpu). Didn't help anything.

I also noticed that two of the spider chips have been replaced. One which was fairly sloppy (on the component side anyways--see other pic). This is the most bottom left of all the spider chips. I touched all the spider chips while the game had been on for a short while and it was noticeably warmer than the others. I figure I should clean this up but I'm sceptical in thinking this is the problem as well. But if anyone thinks otherwise please lmk.

IMG_20210130_010035 (resized).jpgIMG_20210130_010035 (resized).jpgIMG_20210131_200341 (resized).jpgIMG_20210131_200341 (resized).jpg
#18 3 years ago

The shorting of that cap with the wire is kind of normal, it's to bypass the slam switch circuit if it's causing problems.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

The shorting of that cap with the wire is kind of normal, it's to bypass the slam switch circuit if it's causing problems.

Haha, cool, good to know. Thanks.
I removed it tonight, but I'll re-attach as there didn't seem to have any helpful effect.

#20 3 years ago

Something interesting that I noticed tonight was that when hitting switches the display blinks even when it doesn't score. For instance, I hit two star rollovers in succession quickly and the display blinks when it counts the first switch, and blinks when the second switch is hit but doesn't score. So it seems there's a signal going to the mpu (or maybe through the mpu?) But it's either missing or deciding bit to score the second switch.

#21 3 years ago

I'm still thinking you replaced the wrong diodes with the wrong diodes.....But what are the chances that the ones you removed had been replaced previously with the wrong ones?

I'm certainly no expert, but I can tell your that Quench (see above) directed me towards fixing my System 1 problem with the tilt bob being unresponsive by switching to the 1N5819 diode.

#22 3 years ago

All system 1 games' displays blink when switches are hit, normal. What it decides to do with them later, that's a different story.

I had replaced a Sinbad's spinner with a Black Hole one for better spin response and it was the same thing, 5-6 registrations. I think it's just crappy. That was my only game with an original system 1 board and it's been moved out a long time ago, so I can't even try the pascal replacement in it (my other system 1 games do not have spinners..... countdown even with the pascal board misses a drop target sometimes if you get a LOT of them down in a very quick interval, kind of frustrating when that happens.)

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I'm still thinking you replaced the wrong diodes with the wrong diodes.....But what are the chances that the ones you removed had been replaced previously with the wrong ones?
I'm certainly no expert, but I can tell your that Quench (see above) directed me towards fixing my System 1 problem with the tilt bob being unresponsive by switching to the 1N5819 diode.

Alright. Those 1N5819's are now on my next order list.
I'm pretty sure the old ones were original. I threw them out but I found some pics in my phone. The first few are the diodes I replaced. The last pic is the 1n4148s.

IMG_20210115_160403 (resized).jpgIMG_20210115_160403 (resized).jpgIMG_20210115_160409 (resized).jpgIMG_20210115_160409 (resized).jpgIMG_20210115_182629 (resized).jpgIMG_20210115_182629 (resized).jpgIMG_20210115_185655 (resized).jpgIMG_20210115_185655 (resized).jpg
#24 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

All system 1 games' displays blink when switches are hit, normal. What it decides to do with them later, that's a different story.
I had replaced a Sinbad's spinner with a Black Hole one for better spin response and it was the same thing, 5-6 registrations. I think it's just crappy. That was my only game with an original system 1 board and it's been moved out a long time ago, so I can't even try the pascal replacement in it (my other system 1 games do not have spinners..... countdown even with the pascal board misses a drop target sometimes if you get a LOT of them down in a very quick interval, kind of frustrating when that happens.)

Thanks man. Great info! I might be closer to finishing this pin than I thought.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from System-J:

Alright. Those 1N5819's are now on my next order list.
I'm pretty sure the old ones were original. I threw them out but I found some pics in my phone. The first few are the diodes I replaced. The last pic is the 1n4148s.

I actually recommend 1N5817, BAT42 or BAT49 diodes over the 1N5819s.

More info on diodes than most people could ever use...
For a System 1 - typical switch current per row = 5V / 2700 ohms = about 2mA.
Rounding up and comparing a few devices at 10mA:
BAT42 (Schottky diode):
VF = about 0.35V typical at 10mA (voltage drop, lower is better)
VF Max = 0.40V

BAT49 (Schottky diode):
VF = about 0.28V typical at 10mA
VF Max = 0.32V

1N5817 (Schottky diode):
VF = about 0.2V typical at 10mA
VF Max = 0.45V

1N5818 (Schottky diode):
VF Max = 0.55V

1N5819 (Schottky diode):
VF Max = 0.60V

1N270 (Germanium diode, VERY old diode design):
VF typical at 10mA = unknown but supposedly quite low (nobody publishes full data any longer)
VF Max = 1V

1N4148 (Small Signal or Switching diode):
VF = about 0.7V typical at 10mA
VF Max = 1V

1N4004 (1N4001 through 1N4008)(Rectifier)
VF = about 0.7V at 10mA but they aren't designed to run at these low currents
VF = 1.1V max

All of the above diodes are more than sufficient to work with a 10mA current load.
The problem with Germanium diodes is ... well, they're germanium. Old, obsolete technology and quite expensive.

The problem with Schottky diodes is high leakage current. But leakage current doesn't have much effect on this circuit as the active components in this circuit overpower it.
BAT42/BAT49 works well but is about the same size as a standard 1N4148 switching diode -- tiny glass and frail
1N5817 will work and is larger, beefier.

Switching diodes are often used by other manufacturers in their switch matrix.
The problem with switching diodes such as 1N4148 in a Gottlieb is they have a higher forward voltage drop.
Good side is they have far less leakage current... which really doesn't matter here.

Next item - what do we need for maximum forward voltage drop rating?:
Receiver = 7405 (cheap version of 7406).
Two levels of operation -- high input and low input.
Vin high (min value to guarantee valid output) = 2.0V min but we don't care as this is provided by 2.7K pullups.
Vin low = 0.8V max (this is the value we care about)

Driver = 7404 inverters:
Two levels of operation -- high output and low output.
Vout high = 2.4V min
Vout low = 0.4V max (this is the one we care about).

Allowed voltage drop between driver and receiver:
Maximum Vdrop = Vin (low) - Vout (low) = 0.8V - 0.4V = 0.4V (minus tiny drop through switch).
So in theory, we cannot use any diode with a VF greater than 0.4V.

The bottom line -
The BAT42 and BAT49 Schottky diodes are the only ones guaranteed to work. And of course, BAT49 is now obsolete.
1N5817 diodes will most probably work since their "typical" voltage drop is less than 0.4V but not guaranteed.
Switching diode might work.. might not.
1N270 -- apparently works but nobody publishes full data any longer so I don't know. These are also known *only to the state of California* to cause cancer if you consume large quantities of them.
1N4004 -- not recommended.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

The BAT42 and BAT49 Schottky diodes are the only ones guaranteed to work.

Thanks Ed.
I'm looking at their STMicro Schottky datasheets and for context I've added the current details pertaining to maximum spec'd VF (Forward Voltage drop).

BAT42 (Schottky diode):
VF Max = 0.65V @ 50mA

BAT49 (Schottky diode):
VF Max = 0.42V @ 100mA
VF Max = 1.0V @ 1A

1N5817 (Schottky diode):
VF Max = 0.45V @ 1.0A

1N5818 (Schottky diode):
VF Max = 0.55V @ 1.0A

1N5819 (Schottky diode):
VF Max = 0.60V @ 1.0A

The listed VF Max specs for 1N581x are at a much higher forward current than the BAT4x so it's not a fair comparison. Looking at their graphs below of typical values over the range, it seems to me the 1N581x are the better choice and have lower VF than the BAT4x (highlighted 10mA @ 25°C). Even your listed VF @ 10ma are lower for the 1N581x devices.
Or am I missing something?

I have some paranoia that makes me choose the 1N5819 over the 1N5817 because of it's higher rated voltage, but that's just me

BAT42.pngBAT42.png
BAT49.pngBAT49.png
1N5817.png1N5817.png
1N5819.png1N5819.png

#27 3 years ago

Different manufacturers = different specs but not a lot of difference.
These should really be compared at the operating point in which they will really be used - 2mA (although I arbitrarily rounded up to 10mA for simplicity sake). If you see ever any currents in the 20mA or more range than you have other problems to contend with - this is more current than the 7404 driver can possibly sink and can take out the 7404. Likewise, if you ever subject the voltage to anything higher than 7V - you will also lose ICs.

The part you used for specs shows BAT42 with about 0.38V at 10mA and about 0.3V at 2mA.
The BAT49 specs shows pretty close to the same as the BAT42 but a hair lower in forward voltage at 2mA.
The 1N581x diodes show pretty low (about 0.25V) at the bottom end of the current draw. But these are not intended to operate below the 10mA range (particularly in the 2mA range of the Gottlieb matrix) and are intended for use in the 100mA through 1000mA range.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Different manufacturers = different specs but not a lot of difference.

Only manufacturer datasheet I can find for BAT49 is from STMicro, so to be fair I chose STMicro specs for all of them.

Quoted from G-P-E:

These should really be compared at the operating point in which they will really be used - 2mA

Agreed, at the moment all we have are some values at 10mA.
If we visualise the 1N581x graphs projection below 10mA, I think its safe to say their VF will continue to decrease.

I use 1N581x Schottkys as blocking diodes for CR2032 batteries on MPU boards. A board I have here with a Philips PCD5101P battery backed RAM chip whose standby current spec (max 5.0 uA) measures 0.015V voltage drop across a 1N5817 diode. Granted it's not switching but is operating at extremely low current.

Anyway, suffice to say I wouldn't be using 1N4148 diodes in Gottliebs switch matrix

#29 3 years ago

Woe! Alright, alright, I'm convinced. ...but seriously guys, thanks for this, I've learned a lot. I'm sure it'll help someone else more than I; hopefully someone like me will find this instead of using Clay Harrell as Moses.
...so... And I'm not arguing with you guys in any possible way (and if you take it that way, I'll tell you right now... You win!). ...so... From a player's pov there wasn't any change from switching form the germanium diodes to the 4148s. The missed switch hits are about the same or maybe a slight more responsive now, but I've also re-pinned since this as well. And as far as I can tell, there hasn't been any other new issues that have arisen. And again, just player's eye test, not hard science. So what's the possibility of the old 270s being all equally a problem as the 4148s are? And what problems might I watch for from using the 4148s?

#30 3 years ago

Why not just install the diode recommended here rather than ask what can go wrong?
Cheap and easy change.

As i said before, every SS gottlieb i have owned seemed to be slow in adding when compared to my DE JP. For that matter, they seem slower than my 1979 Stern Trident.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Why not just install the diode recommended here rather than ask what can go wrong?
Cheap and easy change.
As i said before, every SS gottlieb i have owned seemed to be slow in adding when compared to my DE JP. For that matter, they seem slower than my 1979 Stern Trident.

I'm planning to change them over soon. I'll just have to make an order and I just got a new project (f-14! Woo hoo!) that I need to set up and do an inventory of what else I might need. I was mostly just curious of what could go wrong and to what extent. In practice or theory.
Yeah, I've got a couple classic Stern's too and they're very responsive. Even with a game like Stars that uses chimes too: it doesn't seem to have an issue with registering a ripped spinner. I've also since found 1 or 2 other threads of unrelated sys1 problems where the owner complained of the same thing. One being a Dragon as well.

#32 3 years ago

The troublesome niggly things to me are:
1) Multiple switches tested showing it's scoring fine for five closures in a row but then the five after that, zippo, nothing? Of course from the 10 closures test you can't really tell if it's missing the last 5 because it isn't holding more in memory or whatever or if it's simply not registering around half of the hits on average.
2) A switch being hit once and scoring but another switch quickly after that not registering at all BUT the display blipped for both as if both closures 'reached' the mpu but something on the mpu is somehow at fault. How/why could it blip the display but not score if it's the diodes?
3) The spinner test must have done a lot more than 10 closures, still only 5 register so that doesn't sound like a 50/50 switch thing.

Just wondering if it's mpu and not the diodes so much though they may be causing problems too. As for Gottliebs being slow in adding, right, but this one seems to stop adding, period.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

1N270 -- apparently works but nobody publishes full data any longer so I don't know. These are also known *only to the state of California* to cause cancer if you consume large quantities of them.

Please define 'large quantities', I actually just kept eating these as I went. I was a bit peckish and just figured it was way easier than taking them to electronic recycling depot.

#34 3 years ago

"Must consume mass quantities of switching diodes. Mebs! Mebs!"

giphy (2) (resized).jpggiphy (2) (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 7.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-system-1-game-slow-response-time-?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.