00shangri-La2_(resized).jpg
bf5_(resized).jpg
7Sonic-Butterfly-C-modif_(resized).jpg
probe_(resized).jpg
bf4_(resized).jpg
001-Sonic-Butterfly-Total_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hoping someone will me with 1977 Sonic (Williams) Butterfly

Coin up, hit the start button and everything resets as it should. All score reels reset to zero.
Ball feeds to shooter lane. Launch the ball, drain it, ball feeds to shooter lane but does not advance to ball two.
I can manually advance the ball count unit and it advances though balls 2-5. Can also ground the coil on the ball count unit and it advances so I know power is getting to the coils.

At one point it worked but the machine was not advancing players so I started cleaning things up a bit and created this new problem.

I went through all of the steppers on this machine and now all of them operate smoothly and snappy.

I don't have a schematic and usually struggle with reading and understanding them. Not sure who would even have a copy. There's not much info out there on this Spanish Sonic Butterfly.

I feel like I am right on the edge of getting this figured out but need some direction from the experts out there.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

#2 8 years ago

Bump for some help. Not much help in my small community. Boise would be the closest place and that's two hours away.

I watched the switch action on every relay and switch stack. Took out the bottom board so I could better clean and watch the action of all the switches on the score motor. Everything appears to operate like it should.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Getting desperate!

#3 8 years ago

You prob got a switch outa adjustment.
find the ball count advance coil on the schematic, and follow it backwards to the first switch you find, and tighten the switch stack, clean/adjust the switch. do this for all the switches in that line, and you shud be able to restore the function.

#4 8 years ago

Thank you Dr,
I'll start hunting for a schematic. Maybe PB resource? I'm sure you're right about a dirty switch or out of adjustment. Any way to try and trace this backwards without a schematic? I struggle with making sense of them. Every switch stack on this machine has been tightened. Surprisingly they were all pretty tight already

#5 8 years ago

Dr,
I see by your collection you have a 1977 Sonic machine. Any chance you have a scanned copy of the schematic you would want to share?

They must be pretty close to the same.

#6 8 years ago

Hi Mike
You do not write about "Bonus Ladder is counted down at End-of-Ball".
ipdb has a schema for "Faces": http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=806 -> use 400% -> click several times onto "+" -> it gets larger and larger.

Maybe we are lucky - it is just the "Ball-Index-Relay" NOT pulling at "End of Ball-1" (?)
Look at schema-C-6: A "Switch on the Outhole-Relay" and a "Switch on Extraball-Relay" and a "Switch on Ball-Index-Relay". If one or two or three of these switches are open: NO Step-up on Ball-Count-Unit, NO step-up on Player-Unit.
The Outhole-Relay MUST pull and CLOSE its switch.
The Extraball-Relay is NOT allowed to pull - its switch MUST be closed.
The Ball-Index-Relay MUST pull and CLOSE its switch.

If either one of the switches is misadjusted / contact-points dirty-oxidated / a wire has broken-off a solder-lug: No current can flow -> NO action on Ball-Count-Unit / NO action on Player-Unit.
Please have a look at these relays - have a look at ALL switches on these relays.
Greetings Rolf

#7 8 years ago

Rats, got busy with life last nite, and forgot bout the schematic.
Sorry, will look tonite.

#8 8 years ago

Thank you for you guidance Rolf. Yes, bonus counts down at end of ball.

Just placed an order with PBR for schematics. With the holidays and the distance between us I probably won't see them until next week.

I downloaded the "Faces" schematic and found everything at C-6 I need to look at. Williams "Space Mission" is very similar too.

Unfortunately I'm at work today and won't be able to look at it until tonight. I will post my findings then.

Mike

#9 8 years ago

Thanks Doc, got one on order.

2 weeks later
#10 8 years ago

Bump for my unsolved problem.
I have another problem in addition to my game not advancing to ball two.

At the top left of the game there is a hole with a kickout that advances bonus and kicks the ball out. When the ball lands in the hole it does not get kicked out and the bonus unit keeps running and never stops. I'm not sure if all these problems are related. I now have the schematics and the manual and have been carefully going through the suspect circuits.

I've taken out the bottom board and sat down at the bench with it under good light. Have taken every switch stack off the score motor to better inspect and clean the switches. Tugged at every solder tab and made sure none were bent and making contact where they shouldn't.

I pretty much did the same thing with every relay on the bottom board, play field and back box. Manually actuated literally every switch on this machine (power off) to watch it's action. All looks good. Went though all the stepper units as well. Dis-assembled, cleaned, 800 grit sandpaper on wiper traces with a light coat of teflon lube. They all work smoothly without hesitation.

I checked continuity on the wires from the steppers to the relays to the switches to the score motor on all the circuits I thought were relevant. No luck. Been trying to get this hammered out for weeks now and just about ready to kick it to the curb. Going to call it a night though as I'm too frustrated to look at it another minute.

Any help greatly appreciated.

#11 8 years ago

Hi mstire
fine - You did a lot of work - switches are clean - but one is not closing / not opening , it needs adjustment.
Whenever a couple of things must be done: The Score-Motor must help and do these things.
Example "Outhole": You loose a ball -> it rolls into the Outhole -> it depresses a "wireform / stud" -> the Outhole-SWITCH closes (and stay closed as long the ball is in the Outhole) -> the Outhole-RELAY is activated (and closes a "Self-Hold-Switch") -> the Outhole-RELAY then calls the Score-Motor for help -> the Score-Motor does a lot of things -> "and finally - we now should kick the ball over to the shooter lane" -> a Switch on the Score-Motor closes and through this switch AND a "Switch closed on still pulling Outhole-RELAY": The "Ball-Release-COIL" does fire -> the ball is kicked over, leaves the Outhole, therefore the Outhole-SWITCH opens -> the Score-Motor turns the "last couple of degrees in turning" and opens the Self-Hold-Switch of the Outhole-RELAY --- finished.

Your Eject-Hole does work the same way. I show a snippet of (ipdb-schema) "Liberty Bell": http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1436 - it has a "Top Eject Hole and therefore a Top Eject SWITCH and a Top Eject RELAY and a Top Eject COIL". (((The pin has two more Eject Holes etc.)

In the snippet I marked RED: the activating of the Top-Eject-RELAY. After a long time the "Kickout" should happen: GREEN shows the "Switch on Top-Eject-RELAY (MUST be cleen and closed, wires soldered-on), "Switch on Score-Motor () and the firing COIL (). (((I also show the returning line -> "R-BR at C-2" -> one more "Switch on Score-Motor involved".

So You should study the "list of Relays / Coils used" -> find so called "...EJECT-RELAY, ...EJECT-COIL" -> look in the schema / wiring AND Manual (drawing of the RELAY -> which Switches on the relay ???) -> check that (ALSO: ...Eject-SWITCH, marked RED).

Maybe You want to show part of the schema ? Look at Dealers Choice: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=649 -> somebody has taken pictures (JPG-Format) and we can see the schema. Maybe You have a camera or You have a scanner (to produce PDF's) -> You show "interesting parts of Your schema" (?).
Greetings Rolf.

xLiberty-Bell-Eject_(resized).jpgxLiberty-Bell-Eject_(resized).jpg

#12 8 years ago

Thank you so much Rolf for your detailed explanation. At work right now but will be going home soon for lunch and let the dogs out.

While I'm home I'll trace the yellow wire from the hole eject back to the hole relay where it should make contact with w-blu and continue to score motor at 5-A. If positioned like drawing then 5-A should be open.

Basically do the same thing with the hole relay circuit. I'll check continuity on these wires as well. I'm not sure what I'm looking at that I boxed in green. Is it vital to this circuit? I'm sure it must be.

I will report back this afternoon.

bf2_(resized).jpgbf2_(resized).jpg

bf1_(resized).jpgbf1_(resized).jpg

#13 8 years ago

Hi mstire
a nice snippet of schema ! YES, the "Switch*** on Hole-Relay, wire-Yellow soldered-on, wire-White-Blue soldered-on" this switch is in focus.
Your description in post-10 says: Ball rolls into "Hole", depress and close "Hole-Switch" -> Hole-Relay pulls (and let the Score-Motor run). when turning further -> Score-Motor does / should close SCM-5A -> because Switch*** is / should-be closed -> "Hole-Eject-COIL (should) fire(s).
BE CAUTIOUS: start a game and let the ball plunge into "Hole" -> Score-Motor starts turning (and bonus is added) - turning ... NOW hold the "tip of a screwdriver at the two blades of the Switch***" - You make a "Micro-Jumper of this Switch***" - Question: does the COIL fires ? Please report.

Your "green box": I read "An arrow is pointing to whatever at C-18". So look around at C-18 and You will see "an arrow is pointing to whatever at ?-?? (location of Your green box)".
10% chance: There is something that wants to influence our "Hole / Hole EJECT".
45% chance: There is the bonus stepping up (for our "Hole-Feature").
45% chance: There iis a completely other / unrelated feature that simply wants to use the "opening of SCM-Ind-B" for its purposes (ending its feature).

Maybe we want / must use a jumper-Wire to (force-) feeding the "Eject-COIL".
Greetings Rolf

#14 8 years ago

Rolf, really appreciate your helping me out here.
Did my testing while home and have made no progress. I use a lamp with an alligator clip on one side and long sharp probe on the other. Makes it easy to get in tight places.

I traced each wire in both circuits from the coils on the right side of the chart to where the circuit ends on the left. Went so far as to take the switch stacks off the motor again at 5, 5 forward and index cams. I checked continuity though all the leaf switches. For example: put one lead on the yellow wire of the hole eject coil and the other lead on the w-blu at the hole relay. Light did not light. Manually actuate the relay and the light lights. Did the same thing with all wires in these two circuits.

Found something odd though. With the playfield up I can mock start a game, hit the out hole to kick out the imaginary ball, hit a couple switches on the playfield then actuate the hole eject switch. Bonus unit maxes out and keeps running. Kick out does not kick however if I let it keep cycling like this and hold the hold relay in the kick out starts kicking with every revolution of the score motor as long as I keep holding it in.

I don't know what to make of this.

Here's a picture of C-1B I asked about earlier in the green square. Something I should be looking at?

bf3_(resized).jpgbf3_(resized).jpg

#15 8 years ago

Rolf, I'll try jumping that switch tonight and report back.

#16 8 years ago

Hi mstire
You show a nice snippet of schema in post-14. It is wrong for the question "What is shown at C-18 ?" (The arrow points to C-18 - NOT TO C-1B).
Look at my JPG, on top I have marked (rosa) the range / area "this is "2". I also have marked (rosa) the area "D-2" / "2-D". For the question "What is shown at C-18 ?" You must show "C-18".

(First: read all) Jumpering the "Hole-EJECT-COIL" - force that coil to fire: See my "encircled (yellow) Solder-Lug on the transformer ? This is the end of the connecting line 24VAC back to the transformer - this is also the end of the connecting line 6VAC back to the transformer. so usually at this Lug TWO thick Yellow wires are soldered-on. Can You see that lug in Your pin ? 100% sure ?
If not: report / do NO tests.
OK, You see the "Lug-Yellow on transformer". Unplug the Main 110 VAC Power-Cord. Clip-on the gator-clip of a Jumper-Wire at the "COIL Hole EJECT, side Wire-color-yellow". lead the Jumper-Wire around relays and such and lay the other end / gator clip NEAR Transformer-Lug-Yellow (NOT touching anything).
Plug-in, start a game - make some points - NOW hold the Jumper-Wire at the insulation and tip the blank Gator-Clip onto "Transformer-Solder-Lug-Yellow" -> The Coil should fire (as long as You hold the gator-clip onto the Lug). You are doing "Test-brown-yellow-1".

If the coil does NOT fire -> "Power-Jumper***".
The Coil does fire - > Unplug the Main Power-Line and prepare "test-brown-yellow-2" - clip-on at "Normally-Open-Switch on Hole-RELAY" and do the same test. (We are asking the question: Is there connection "Eject-COIL <-> Switch on Hole-RELAY".

"Test-brown-yellow-3" does test "is the switch GOOD ?) - so for testing You (or a friend) must activate "Hole-RELAY" - pushing onto the armature / anchor-plate of the relay OR "put the ball in the Eject-Hole".

"Test-brown-yellow-4" does test the connecting wire to "Score-Motor-Switch-5A" (You also need the help of Your friend, armature of relay).

"Test-brown-yellow-5" does test the SCM-5A. You need the help of Your friend AND the Score-Motor MUST turn. This test also tests the connection to Transformer-Solder-Lug-YELLOW.

"Test-4 and -5" might be difficult to prepare - not much room to clip-on the gator-clip. Want to "opposite-clip-on" ?: You have the Jumper-Wire clipped-on at Transformer-Lug-Yellow (permanent) and You carefully push (testing) the other gator-clip at the Score-Motor-Lugs - holding the clip and carefully moving the clip might be easyer the "clip-on" (?).
If (if) You cannot do tests -4 and -5: Report - I then write about "Sneaking-in a "Male-female" plug*** into the "wire to SCM-Solder-Lug".
plug***: K-Mart and such -> Automotive Departement -> Car-Electrics -> plugs to squeeeeze for mounting a wire -> cut the wire in the pin and sneak-in such a K-Mart-Plug -> clip-on the Jumper-Wire-Gator-Clip ON the K-Mart-Plug (rude - but it works).

"Power-Jumper***": NEVER !!! clip-on a Jumper-Wire at my "encircled-RED" - ONLY use my "encircled-GREEN" - We WANT to have a FUSE in Our circuitry !!!
If the EJECT-COIL does not fire - "Test-brown-yellow-1" : Unplug the main power cord and ESTABLISH PERMANENT the Jumper-Wire-VIOLET - then plug-in, start a game and do Tests-1, -2, -3 , -4, -5.

Your "odd Thing" Do You mean "HOLE-Relay" ? Do you mean an RELAY called "HOLD (DDDDD) Relay" ?
IF (if, if) You use your finger "imaginary ball" in / at the Playfield-Hole -> You take away the finger -> You simulate "ball is kicked-out" -> does the Hole-relay quits pulling ?

Please "freshen-up" post-14, this (my post-16) is long - dealing "Jumper-Wiring theory and praxis" - lets discuss "real" problems on "posts to come".
Greetings Rolf

001-Sonic-Butterfly-Total_(resized).jpg001-Sonic-Butterfly-Total_(resized).jpg

#17 8 years ago

Rolf, this is a lot to absorb so I will go through it a couple times in my spare minutes at work and try these tests when I come home for lunch.

Sorry about the wrong snippet. That 8 looked like a B to me. Now looking back, that doesn't make sense.

I will report back my findings.

#18 8 years ago

Rolf, you have much patience and I can tell you like a challenge. I hope you're not getting sick of me yet.

To start I'll clean up post 14 and include a pic of C-18 from the schematics. Yes, I did a typing error and meant hole relay, not hold relay.
Yes, if I simulate the ball being kicked out of the playfield hole the hole relay quits pulling.bf4_(resized).jpgbf4_(resized).jpg

I have the two heavy yellow wires on the transformer and used that for a test point. Tests 1,2 and 3 all test good. For test 3, when the hole relay is activated the hole kicker fires and the relay stays pulled in for one revolution of the score motor.

Test 4 was negative so I would assume test 5 would be as well but I did it anyway.............negative. With my test lead connected for tests 4 and 5 I pulled the power lead to the motor and rotated it by hand several revolutions. Game powered on and game started.

Was able to do these tests myself with a test clip similar to the one pictured. probe_(resized).jpgprobe_(resized).jpg

I know we found something out here but I don't know what.

Thanks, Mike

#19 8 years ago

Hi Mike
no problem - the pin looks good (I have never seen one) - I wonder how it has came over to the USA (beeing a spanish pin) ...

You report nice results.
When imitating with your finger - ball is in the Eject-Hole and it is kicked-out (You take Your finger away): The Hole-Relay stays active for a short wile - then the Score-Motor ends the pulling - exactly what should happen.
Test-1 - You showed: We do NOT need the "Power-Jumper" - the connection on the power-side is good.
(Also) Test-1 - You showed: The Eject-coil is good - it fires on command.
Test-2 - You showed: The connecting wire is good "Eject-Coil <-> Switch on Hole-Relay"
Test-3 - You showed: The "PULLING HOLE-RELAY really / securely CLOSES its switch. AND: doing test-3 You do not need to simulate with Your finger - You can put the ball in the Eject-Hole (wait till the Score-Motor runs) -> Test-3-jumpering -> ball is kicked-out of the Eject-Hole -> feature ends "normal / good".
Do Test-4 again - You put the ball in the Eject-Hole (wait till the Score-Motor runs) -> Test-4-jumpering --- NOW: If the ball is NOT kicked-out: The connecting wire is bad / wire broken-off - maybe a Jones-Plug in-between is oxidated.
... Test-4 ... The ball IS KICKED OUT: Do test-5.

We live in different time-zones - it is getting 24:00 / midnight - I go to sleep - till tomorrow, Greetings Rolf

#20 8 years ago

Hello again Rolf.
This machine is definitely worth keeping alive. The back glass is next to perfect and the playfield is also next to perfect. The coin door is really nice but the cabinet is maybe a 6 or 7 out of 10. The artwork is all pretty descent. Had one broken plastic that I reproduced and I think you would have a hard time telling which one it was. The rest are very good. Mechanics and wiring are all very good with no hacks.

Sorry, enough of that nonsense.

I'm glad you asked me to do test 4 again. I did everything like I posted in #19 but in my haste I did not activate the eject switch while rotating the motor. Now the eject solenoid fires when I rotate the motor. Good. Move on to test 5 and move my lead to the other leaf at 5A. Start a game, activate the hole switch and rotate the motor. The eject solenoid does not fire. It seems this implies there is bad connection at 5A contacts when closed but I closed the contacts and touched my test light to both leafs and have continuity.

Hope to talk to you tomorrow Rolf.

#21 8 years ago

Hi Mike
I do not like the "thought / idea": The fault is caused by the "not closing Score-Motor-Switch-5A". I dislike "working on Score-Motor-Switches" - I do several tests and ONLY when I come to the conclusion "the fault IS THERE, 100% for sure" - then I grumble and start working on that Score-Motor-Switch.

Lets hope: The screws (mounting the Switch-Stack on Wheel-5) are loose (a bit) -> take a screwdriver and carefully TRY to tighten the two screws. Maybe they are already thight - well ...
Maybe You can tighten the screws -> testing -> (hopefully) "fault has dissapeared ?

No luck - I still do not like to take the Switch-Stack away -> I do one more test (without taking the Switch-Stack away). I did it today in my Shangri-La what I do write now:

Theory first - look at the JPG: The Score-Motor runs, the Wheel-5 turns, at a given time the long actuator-blade plunges down into the "dent / valley" on the wheel - the actuator blade moves DOWN (violet arrow / violet block - the drawing in the schema is "faulty / not precise": the nylon rider is bigger then the original-drawing in the schema, the Nylon rides securely on the actuating blade).
The actuating blade moves down and therefore the "Yellow Blade" also moves down - it closes (it should close) with "Blue Blade".
The idea is: Mounting the "Red, U-form "string / lace / cord" so we can pull upwards the "Red-U" -> we move blade-blue !!!!! upwards and do connect blade-blue to blade-yellow.
I have taken a string and put it there - JUST AROUND BLADE-BLUE. I then startet the pin and a game - I pulled "Red-U" upwards -> I had action - my test works.

Please install "Red-U string" - start the pin and a game - THEN (pin idles) DO the jumpering on the Hole-Relay-Switch (see top of the JPG) - jumpering permanent "White-Blue <-> Yellow". As long as the Score-Motor does NOT turn: The Score-Motor-Switch-5A is open - the Eject-Coil does NOT fire.
(Have the jumper White-Blue <-> Yellow set on Hole-Relay-Switch (?)) -> NOW lift-up the "Red-U-strings -> therefore you close the SCM-5A-Switch -> DOES THE EJECT-COIL FIRE ?

Please report - we might want to "try to clean the SCM-5A" - we might have to disassemble ...

To end this post - the "mystery about C-18" - Thanks for the snippet - I see: The "Drop-Target-Reset-Relay DTRR" also uses the "Switch on Score-Motor-Index-B" - DTRR simply wants ITS FEATURE (ALSO) HANDLED - at times "Ball is for sure NOT in the Eject-Hole" - the manufacturer saved money - NOT mounting another switch "just for DTRR-feature".
Greetings Rolf

7Sonic-Butterfly-C-modif_(resized).jpg7Sonic-Butterfly-C-modif_(resized).jpg

#22 8 years ago

Hi Mike
I point out - For that test "pulling Red-U upwards": You do NOT activate the "Hole feature" - with the jumpering "Switch on Hole-Relay" set: we cheat a bit --- simply start a game -> pin idles -> You set the jumpering -> You lift-up the "Red-U".
Greetings Rolf

#23 8 years ago

Another day starting. must be about 3:00 or 4:00 pm where you are. Happy tomorrow is the weekend so I can have more time to work on this project.

So it looks like I have my focus area. To re-state, I have taken every switch stack, one at a time off the motor (9 of them) to clean, inspect solder and to verify proper action. All were properly tightened. I will be putting the bottom board back on the bench tomorrow and pull that stack for another look if at lunch time your string test does not ẃork.

Wish me luck.

#24 8 years ago

Good news Rolf! I hope

I did your string test as suggested. I added to the drawing the lobe that rides on the #5 cam

First I looped the string under the green lobe and pulled up to make the "A" switch connect. No change

Then I looped the string under the blue switch blade and pulled up and the hole eject solenoid fired.

Tomorrow morning I will wake early and get that bottom board back on the bench and find out what's going on.

You have taught me many things during this process Rolf. Most importantly how to troubleshoot in a more logical manner as well as the value of the "snippet" with highlights. You are a good tutor.

I still expect to have other issues after I fix this one but will try to plow through them and fix them myself. Who knows, maybe I will be lucky.

Thank you Rolf. I will report my findings.

bf5_(resized).jpgbf5_(resized).jpg

#25 8 years ago

Hi Mike
thanks for the flowers - well, so I do a bit "rebuke / dispraise / upbraid / darn" (whatever the correct translation is for "tadeln") ...
Look at Post-21, JPG -> (my talking about "violet / faulty drawing" - the looong actuator blade moves DOWN at the time "Score-Motor-Wheel-5" wants to do the action.
So, post-24, JPG - Your green actuator: Why did You TRY to LIFT it ?

Yes, the next step is "to adjust (move a bit upwards) Blade-W-BLU (bottom-most blade in the Switch-Stack at wheel-5".

I wrote: "Have done such a test (Red-U-Lace) in my Shangri-La" - you are interested in "How To".
I look in the schema for such a "Bottom-Switch" -> Score-Motor-4A -> My Shangri-La runs 100 % - I have problems clicking-on the gator-clip at Score-Motor-4-A -> I look in the schema -> a wire runs to "Coin-Unit" -> a good place for to clip-on. I took my "Steve Fury Testlight" - look here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reading-gottlieb-schematics , post-10 / post-12.
I clipped-on the other end of the Jumper-Wire "AT FUSE - having the fuse IN MY JUMPER-WIRING" -> started a game -> reset -> idle -> whenever I lift-up my "Red-U Lace": MY TESTLIGHT lights up.

Do You remember "Our Jumpering" going through the pin ? See "A", "B", "C", "D" here in the JPG ? - testing with Jumper-Wire(s) is good - SCHEMA IS NEEDED.

Please write about Your Score-Motor-Switch. Greetings Rolf

00shangri-La2_(resized).jpg00shangri-La2_(resized).jpg

00Jumper-JPG1_(resized).jpg00Jumper-JPG1_(resized).jpg

#26 8 years ago

Rolf, I have good news and bad news.
The bad news is my problem persists. Took motor 5 switch stack apart and made sure the "A" switch was perfect. I believe it was already good. I removed the bottom board and put it on the bench then started with the motor. One by one I checked continuity between each and every pair of switch blades ( 3 blades for the make /break) my test light would go on and off as it should as I rotated the motor. I found one switch that needed adjustment and adjusted it, seemingly unrelated.

While I had the bottom board out I did the same thing to every relay and switch contact on that board so I do not have to remove it again. All good.

The good news................. put everything back together, lowered the playfield and started a game. All good (except playfield hole eject), the ball even advances to ball 2, 3, 4and 5.

That was great so I started a 4 player game with 5 balls and cycled through all twenty balls and everything worked fine unless my ball landed in the playfield hole. If that happened I just reached in, flipped it out and continue to play.

So what is now happening ..... when the ball is hit into the hole the bonus unit keeps advancing until it maxes out but keeps cycling until the ball is removed. Does not kick out.

I'm not sure but it seems to me when the ball lands in the playfield hole it should collect the bonus until the bonus unit is at zero then maybe at zero the ball would be kicked out?.

Does this make sense to you? Seems like something is backwards.

Any thoughts?

Mike

#27 8 years ago

Hi Mike
good news and bad news - I must ask to be 100% sure (good news).
You can start a 1-player game and play through the balls 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5 -> Game-Over (?)
You can start a 2-player game and play through the balls and players -> -> -> Game-Over (?)
You can start a 3-player game ... (?) You can start a 4-player game (?). Please write about.

Bad news - I must ask - IS IT ONLY the "Eject-Hole feature NOT working" ?
Means, here: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=410&picno=51993&zoom=1 on the bottom: You loose a ball and Bonus is collected ? THIS WORKS ?
ONLY "up on the playfield, to the left" - the "EJECT hole" does NOT work ?

If the "written above" is true - the read-on.

Do You a have a nice description in the manual "Eject hole" - which relays / units are involved, the sequence (including Score-Motor-Switches) ?

The ipdb-picture tells me - the ball lands here and
A) ONE bonus is stepped-up on the Bonus-Ladder and 1000 points are given to the Score-Reels.
IF (if) only ONE light there is ligted: You get A) ONCE.
IF (if) exactly TWO lights are ligted: You get A) TWO TIMES.
IF (if) exactly THREE lights are ligted: You get A) THREE TIMES.
IF (if) exactly FOUR lights are ligted: You get A) FOUR TIMES.
IF (if) all five lights are ligted: You get ??? - I cannot read - maybe You get 5 Bonus PLUS 10'000 Points - Maybe You get ONLY 10'000 Points, but no Bonus ?)

B-1) ONLY !!! ONE bonus is stepped-up on the Bonus-Ladder and You are given 1000 points for every light "lightened-up" - IF THERE ARE 1 OR 2 OR 3 OR 4 lights "lighted up".
B-2) ONLY !!! ONE bonus is stepped-up on the Bonus-Ladder and You are given 10'000 points for ALL 5 lights "lightened-up".

I DO NOT READ ON THE PLAYFIELD ABOUT: Bonus is STEPPED DOWN !!! I think You are guessing wrong - I believe: Bonus is given when the ball leaves the playfield (Outhole).

I believe: You have a "modern (nice and friendly) pin: EVERY BALL starts with "ONE Bonus is (already) given". If not: I would have a problem "understanding the schema" ...
Look post-18, snippet of schema (amost at bottom): The "Bonus-Unit-Step-UPUP COIL" fires when the "Advance-Bonus-Relay" pulls. The "UPUP-Coila" also fires when "Score-Motor-Switch-2B" is closed AND the Outhole-Relay pulls - to me: changing to next player / next ball. This my theory is supported by: And then the "Ball-Release Coil" fires immediately afterwards (throug closing of SCM-4B) - we could call this coil also "Outhole-Coil" - Williams says "Ball Release Coil" so lets use this word.

Would you please show "JPG-snippets of schema" "Coil of Advance Bonus Relay and surrounding, switches activating" --- "Coil of 1000-Points-RELAY and surrounding, switches activating". Would you please show "PDF's of schema telling us about Advance-Bonus Relay".
Greetings Rolf

#28 8 years ago

Hi Mike
Would you please show "PDF of MANUAL telling us about Advance-Bonus Relay".
Greetings Rolf

#29 8 years ago

Thank you for not giving up on me Rolf!

Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

You can start a 1-player game and play through the balls 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5 -> Game-Over (?)
You can start a 2-player game and play through the balls and players -> -> -> Game-Over (?)
You can start a 3-player game ... (?) You can start a 4-player game (?). Please write about.

This is correct however occasionally when I start a one player game it wants to start with player two and alternate between player one and two through the five balls. I believe this to unrelated and will work that issue out later.

I must ask - IS IT ONLY the "Eject-Hole feature NOT working" ?

This is also correct. The game plays great and every feature and switch appears to work as it should. When the game is over the bonus ladder counts down and bonus is collected. The ONLY problem as far as I can tell is the hole feature in the upper left corner of the playfield not kicking out the ball.

A) ONE bonus is stepped-up on the Bonus-Ladder and 1000 points are given to the Score-Reels.
IF (if) only ONE light there is ligted: You get A) ONCE.
IF (if) exactly TWO lights are ligted: You get A) TWO TIMES.
IF (if) exactly THREE lights are ligted: You get A) THREE TIMES.
IF (if) exactly FOUR lights are ligted: You get A) FOUR TIMES.
IF (if) all five lights are ligted: You get ??? - I cannot read - maybe You get 5 Bonus PLUS 10'000 Points - Maybe You get ONLY 10'000 Points, but no Bonus ?)

This I can not validate because when the ball lands here the score motor and the bonus unit keep cycling until I remove the ball.

Quoted from rolf_martin_062:I DO NOT READ ON THE PLAYFIELD ABOUT: Bonus is STEPPED DOWN !!! I think You are guessing wrong - I believe: Bonus is given when the ball leaves the playfield (Outhole).

I think you are correct here.

Quoted from rolf_martin_062:I believe: You have a "modern (nice and friendly) pin: EVERY BALL starts with "ONE Bonus is (already) given".

This is nice to know. Each game does start with one bonus. I thought this might be a problem I would have to look into.

I hope these images will help. Pretty soon you will have the whole schematics. Please let me know if I missed anything or if there is something else you might need.

Mike

sbf1_(resized).jpgsbf1_(resized).jpg

sbf2_(resized).jpgsbf2_(resized).jpg

sbf3_(resized).jpgsbf3_(resized).jpg

sbf4_(resized).jpgsbf4_(resized).jpg

sbf5_(resized).jpgsbf5_(resized).jpg

sbf6_(resized).jpgsbf6_(resized).jpg

sbf7_(resized).jpgsbf7_(resized).jpg

#30 8 years ago

Hi Mike
Butterfly - a lovely straight-forward pin - I LIKE Williams pins - and the Sonic is "Williams". OK, I like Gottliebs for the Drop-Down targets (my Far Out) - but I do very much like ALL my Williams - especially to mention: Big Deal.

Thanks for Your answer. The problem "Sometimes a 1-player game starts on player-2 and will stay a 2-player game": Probably a minor problem - does it happen AFTER You have played a 2-player-game - wanting to play a 1-player game ?
Look at the Coin-Unit -> A spring is wound around the axis - all the time this spring wants to turn the Unit backwards to "Position-Zero = First / One Player". The Step-UP Coil when firing must be stronger than the tension in this spring - the step-up coil / plunger / mechanism is doing heavy work.
At start of a game -> RESET-side is activated -> wroammm -> Unit turns back. Much more tension if it has to step / turn 4->1 than 2->1 ...

Some people advice: Take apart the Unit and clean everything. You can try: Unhook the spring and tighten it (1/3 or 2/3 or 3/3, full round) - tighten it.
Maybe You are lucky - the Step-up side is strong enough to (still) satisfactory step-up - maybe the "setup-up side" no longer works (after tightening the returning spring) -> then for sure You must take apart the Unit and clean it ...

I want to study the new snippets of schema / manual - I will write about my "findings". Greetings Rolf

#31 8 years ago

Here is a photo of the beast that gives me much grief. How can such a thing of beauty do that?

I stripped the playfield of all hardware, deep cleaning, wax and buff. No touch up needed. The plastic above the drop targets was broken in two pieces so the one you see is my reproduction. Check out the bumper caps. They appear to be deformed or melted from the lamps. They are both identical and in perfect shape. Are they supposed to be that way or was there a problem with mold? I am sure this will always be a mystery.

I did not spend any time on this project today as I felt the need to just walk away and take a break.

Thanks for the input on the player 2 issue. I will certainly pursue that after the current issue is resolved.

Maybe tomorrow will be a brighter day.

Mike

butterfly_play_field_(resized).jpgbutterfly_play_field_(resized).jpg

#32 8 years ago

Hi Guys.
I have read some of your posts, not all, slow reader. i want to question the ball and player issue.
If everything is not happening in order, it is hard to single out a specific problem, as so much depends on other things lining up correctly first. the kick out problem seems to persist, I offer this, have you noticed any black rings around the switch contacts back side you are working with?
I have found some to be loose, and cause intermittent conduction even though they close well. I use an exacto knife with a new blade, and try to roll the contacts with the blade. you need really good light to see if one is loose, if so, it will definetly move. this causes headache.
The ball/player problem, My sonic super straight gets soft after playing for a while. I attribute this to poor switch contact, as things heat up, resistance goes up and coils kick weaker than they did at start of game.I like the light/continuity tests, however, a light and a meter will indicate continuity even if the contact head is only touching on one edge " like a bent or burned contact". this can be deceiving.
I prefer to test with a real coil, they require more current than a bulb, and can indicate a weak contact faster.
Rolf is a good troubleshooter, and will not lead you down the wrong path.
I hope you solve these issues quickly, and get to playin, not fixin, soon. Sonic pins are fun to play! i love my SS
one more thing, if your pin has half plastic, half metal step arms, consider replacing them with Williams all metal arms. the plastic ones give too much, and can cause a step to not move far enough to get to the next notch, even though the coil is firing.

#33 8 years ago

Thanks Dr. for sharing some good points. I really don't think the random player one or player two issue is related to the playfield hole eject not working. Sometimes the game will reset and start perfectly on player one and I can play a great game, minus the ball eject . If the game resets and starts with player two I can still play a great five ball game, minus the ball eject. I will be pursuing that problem as well though.

Everything else is working 100%

I never really paid attention to the back side of the blades. It dawned on me earlier that a loose contact could certainly cause problems. I have gotten fairly intimate with EVERY SINGLE contact in this game. Inspect, clean and very few actually needed adjustment. I did not however probe around at the contact points but will try that on all the points of interest to see if I can find something.

Yes, Rolf has been overly patient with me and I appreciate all the help he has given me.

Are you talking about the plastic/metal step arms on the score motor? Yes, that is what mine are. The last 2 on the motor are all metal.

Thanks, Mike

#34 8 years ago

Hi Mike
the pin drives You nuts - I do not like to work on Score-Motor-Switches (it is ALWAYS the one on the bottom of The Switch-Stack) - and when it comes to Gottliebs ...

I recall: The String-Test was working - manually closing Score-Motor-Switch-5A. So if You want to play a bit - You could do a "work-around" - mounting a "Door-Bell" like Push-Button in a Jumper-Wire -> everytime the ball lands in the Eject-Hole -> You push this Button - and play-on.

See my JPG - the green wires / lines. One side of the Jumper-Wire is clipped-on to "Transformer-YELLOW" - the other "other side or another Jumper-Wire) is clipped-on at the "Coil of Hole-Eject" (or at the "Switch on Eject-Relay". Loooong wires through the open Coin-Door and "in the open" You make connection when the ball rolls into the Eject-Hole. Not good - but You can play a bit.

Thanks for the snippets of schema. I studied and "cut together" to show what happens (Theory). I point out (99.99% sure) - If You can make (JPG: "V") this Score-Motor-Switch-5A "work correct": problem is solved - You can play.

OK - theory:
The ball rolls into the Eject-Hole and CLOSES SWITCH-A AND CLOSES SWITCH-B (there are TWO switches below the "Eject-Hole" - do BOTH open and close ?
The Score-Motor does not yet run - through "C" and "A" the Coil "D-Hole-RELAY" gets current ant pulls -> the relay establishes its "Self-Hold-Circuitry" through "E" and "F" (SCM not yet turning" - (((by the way: when "F" is faulty-always-closed (never opening) - even when the ball is kicked OUT: The relay would be "keep-on pulling" -> feature would not end).

The Hole-Relay ("D") starts pulling -> closes "G" and "H" and "I" -> (not shown in the JPG: The Score-Motor starts to run) -> through "J", "B", "I", "K this E.O.S.-Switch is closed), "L" a shot of electricity is fired -> "M-1000-Point-Relay fires (and gives the first 1000 points). ALSO through "J", "B", "H" -> "N-Advance Bonus Relay" fires and closes "O". ("O" and "P" are "Self-Hold-Circuitry").
Tha pulling "N-Advance Bonus Relay" closes "Q" -> a shot is fired -> "R-Bonus-Unit-Step-UP-Coil" fires - at end of travel the plunger opens "K" - 1000-Point ("M") relay opens.

The turning of Score-Motor fires through "S", "T", "U" three shots shortly one after the other - IF THE RELAYS (in the JPG: above) pull: a second / third / fourth action takes place ...

The Score-Motor turns and come to the end of the turn -> it closes "V !!!!! Score-Motor-Switch-5A" -> the "Hole-Eject-COIL (no letter marked) fires -> so the ball is kicked-out -> "A" and "B" open -> "End of Feature".

Mike, the above is "theory" (not really important) - I believe: If You can get "SCM-5A" work: The problem is solved. (8(I can construct some (theoretical) problems - we may look at AFTER SCM-5A works correct.
Greetings Rolf

aaa-BS-Info_(resized).jpgaaa-BS-Info_(resized).jpg

#35 8 years ago

The arms I refer to are on the step units, "and on the pops too, unfortunately" they give a little, and cause the units to studder. a half step instead of a full one. and fall back.

#36 8 years ago

Yeah, I figured that out while reading a post you and Rolf posted in. Member "aytsgamer" and his Super Straight.

Honestly Rolf, I have to wonder when you sleep. It looks like you you help out a lot of people with their projects .

Thanks for the theory of operation Rolf. I need to let that soak in and follow these steps carefully as you describe. One step at a time. Will try to do that tomorrow.

Mike

2 months later
#37 8 years ago

I wonder, was this ever resolved? I don't know how much help I may be but I'm also a Butterfly owner and have done quite a bit of work to mine.

#38 8 years ago

Yes, got that issue fixed. It's been a while and I can't remember what the exact fix was but I went through the steppers again and it cleared it up. there must have been one switch out of adjustment.

Turns out I sold this machine. A guy drove 10.5 hours each way from Colorado Springs to Twin Falls, ID to pick it up. I thought he was crazy to drive that far for a $450 machine.

The machine still had one problem that I started another thread on and couldn't fix but he did. It was the kick out hole in the top left of the playfield would not kick the ball out.

He's happy with the machine.

#39 8 years ago

I should have re-read my thread.
The advance to ball 2 got fixed. The ou thole kicker did not get fixed by me and that problem was on this thread, not another.

I emailed back and forth with the buyer and he explained the the fix. I'll explain it here the best I can based on what he told me.

There are about 9 wheels on the score motor and a switch stack for each wheel. All of these stacks are screwed down with 2 screws.
I think it was score wheel 5 switch A that was the problem. There are two sets of mounting holes for the problem stack. The way I had it mounted was in line with all the other stacks. The other set of holes allowed the stack to sit forward a little from all the other stacks.

Moving it forward apparently allows for a longer duration of contact needed to fire the eject. Works perfect now.

Hope this makes sense. He wasn't clear with me exactly which stack was the fix.

This problem could have been my own doing as while I was going through this machine nothing was left untouched. Everything was disassembled.

Live and learn.

#40 8 years ago

Glad to hear it all worked out. I understand why the guy drove so far to get it. I happened into mine by chance (not working and free) but I don't think I could sell it. I believe it's a pretty rare machine on this side of the pond and I love the artwork on it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-sonic-butterfly-wont-advance-to-ball-two and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.