IMG_2061 (resized).jpg
IMG_2062 (resized).jpg
IMG_2063 (resized).jpg
IMG_2064 (resized).jpg
IMG_2065 (resized).jpg
PNG image (resized).png
PNG image 2 (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

First time poster here. I’ve been looking to buy my first pinball machine the last few months. I mainly want an Addams family because of nostalgic reasons. One happened to come up for sale on Craigslist within the vicinity of me and I need help on a value. The machine is original with no led upgrades and has not been restored so I know it’s not worth what he is asking but would like to give him a reasonable offer.

IMG_2058 (resized).jpgIMG_2058 (resized).jpgIMG_2059 (resized).jpgIMG_2059 (resized).jpgIMG_2060 (resized).jpgIMG_2060 (resized).jpgIMG_2061 (resized).jpgIMG_2061 (resized).jpgIMG_2062 (resized).jpgIMG_2062 (resized).jpgIMG_2063 (resized).jpgIMG_2063 (resized).jpgIMG_2064 (resized).jpgIMG_2064 (resized).jpgIMG_2065 (resized).jpgIMG_2065 (resized).jpgPNG image (resized).pngPNG image (resized).pngPNG image 2 (resized).pngPNG image 2 (resized).png
#2 5 years ago

5500 to 6000

#3 5 years ago

6000 to 6500. What is he asking? Prices on TAF are way high right now.

#4 5 years ago

Check the boards for damage from old batteries. It shows "factory settings restored" so either the batteries are dead and need replaced or there may be damage from batteries leaking.

#5 5 years ago

I was thinking $5000+ for sure as long as it is mostly (or fully) working. I don't know if I would go much over $5500 unless you have someone with some experience check it over for you. Buying your first couple machines it is easy to miss something that could make hundreds of dollars difference in value so you are better off assuming the worst.

#6 5 years ago

Forgot to mentioned he said it has the Addams family gold software installed. Would that make a difference on value?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from jsm172:

no led upgrades and has not been restored so I know it’s not worth what he is asking

LEDs add no value whatsoever IMO. Just something else to pull out and get rid of.

#8 5 years ago

The baseline for a TAF that boots and mostly functions is pretty much $5k. I've seen a few in the $4500-$4800 range with blown out playfields with magnet burn.

This one, however, I could see being snapped up quick for $5500 or less. For $6000, it might sit a little longer than 10 minutes, but it will still probably move within a few days.

Quoted from jsm172:

Forgot to mentioned he said it has the Addams family gold software installed. Would that make a difference on value?

Nope. The ROMs are freely available, and you can burn new ones yourself with EPROMs and a burner.

Quoted from o-din:

LEDs add no value whatsoever IMO. Just something else to pull out and get rid of.

There is *some* value to LEDs. You can resell them for maybe half the original retail value if you *really* don't want them.

But for all intents & purposes here, it doesn't have much bearing on the asking price for the game.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

I was thinking $5000+ for sure as long as it is mostly (or fully) working. I don't know if I would go much over $5500 unless you have someone with some experience check it over for you. Buying your first couple machines it is easy to miss something that could make hundreds of dollars difference in value so you are better off assuming the worst.

Good advice. Best thing you can do for your first pin is find someone in your area that knows pinball to ride along and point out any issues for you. You'll learn a lot and avoid making costly mistakes. Post in your regional "buy/sell games" thread and someone will almost certainly volunteer to help you out.

Quoted from jsm172:

No, that's like a $10 chip swap.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

There is *some* value to LEDs. You can resell them for maybe half the original retail value if you *really* don't want them.

Maybe, but then there is the labor involved and the cost of new incandescents to replace them and repairing or replacing any sockets oversized LEDs have jacked up, albeit perhaps not as much as you can sell used LEDs for if you find a buyer and want to deal with that.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

I don't know if I would go much over $5500 unless you have someone with some experience check it over for you.

100% agree, $5,500 is a fair offer.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Maybe, but then there is the labor involved and the cost of new incandescents to replace them and repairing or replacing any sockets oversized LEDs have jacked up, albeit perhaps not as much as you can sell used LEDs for if you find a buyer and want to deal with that.

Somehow, I don't see someone going back to incandescents on TAF.

#13 5 years ago

$5500 is fair but think $5800 is more realistic and at that point do you really want to walk away from a nice local TAF for $200? Probably be that a year from now anyway. I would pay up to $6k and get the game in your house.

Of course I don’t know what he is asking.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I agree, especially when lads look so much better, less load on the GI circuit, and last longer

#15 5 years ago

For me LEDs are distracting for the most part. IMHO LEDs do not look good in pre DMD games, but each to his own.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

For me LEDs are distracting for the most part. IMHO LEDs do not look good in pre DMD games, but each to his own.

I'm 90% sure Addams has a DMD.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've recently been putting all my games back to incandecent that were previously converted including the DMD games I own. It is much easier on the eyes and easier to track the ball especially with invisiglass installed.

#18 5 years ago

My first thought was $6500 max and work from that on a look over and play.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've recently been putting all my games back to incandecent that were previously converted including the DMD games I own. It is much easier on the eyes and easier to track the ball especially with invisiglass installed.

Have you ever tried the warm white leds? In my opinion they look similar to incandecents but with all the benefits of led technology.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Have you ever tried the warm white leds? In my opinion they look similar to incandecents but with all the benefits of led technology.

I agree. Warm whites with domes to disperse the light are what I use. Worth it just for the reduced stress on the system.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

I've tried them all and installed them all. In all different games. Used to be the point was to add a little more light in an otherwise dark game, but the trade off is the light doesn't always spread very well so you have to go even brighter. Then there is the inherent flicker even in the most expensive non-ghosting leds. Incandescents flicker as well, but it is much more natural and less noticeable.

What I found does work real well is invisiglass on a game with incandescents and seeing is no longer a problem, and at the same time the game now has that original look without those blinding leds.

Came to head a couple weeks ago with my fully led'd Dirty Harry siting next to my incandescent HS2 and I could see those high dollar frosted domed leds flickering behind the translate and HS2 with it's warm natural glow. It's done now and much more soothing on the eyes, and now the LED'd Earthshaker is waiting on another batch of bulbs to finish the project. Earthshaker's backglass and inserts are way better now, just need some more bulbs for the GI.

Again the whole secret of all this evolves around the invisiglass, without which, again it would be kind of hard to see. But arcades never had that stuff back in the day, and the games were still very playable.

Quoted from Tomass:

Worth it just for the reduced stress on the system.

Going thru the system and bulletproofing connectors is part of the procedure as well, but that is something that ought to be done anyway no matter what bulb you use. As far as excessive heat, they don't stay on 12 hours a day and winter will be here before you know it anyway.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 159.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-price-estimate-for-first-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.