IMG_8098 (resized).JPG
IMG_8094 (resized).JPG
IMG_8097 (resized).JPG
IMG_8096 (resized).JPG
Surf-Champ-Work-10 (resized).jpg
IMG_0153 (resized).JPG
IMG_0145 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I picked up a Buccaneer the other day thats in really nice shape. It powers on and spits out a ball when you hit the start button but none of the pops and flippers work? I've check all the fuses and they seemed ok(i never pulled them out to check). Any help with this would be appreciated.

IMG_0145 (resized).JPGIMG_0145 (resized).JPG

IMG_0153 (resized).JPGIMG_0153 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Pull the fuses out to check them with a DMM. Check for appropriate voltages under the playfield. Your schematic is probably available from Pinball Resource.

#3 7 years ago

Clean and check the Jones plugs, if you had it apart. Making sure that the plugs are inserted correctly.

Also the fuses, the fuse holders can be cleaned and checked to make sure that there is a good connection with the fuse. Check the fuses out of the holders. Sometimes just taking the fuses out and putting them back in, creates a better contact with the holder.

#4 7 years ago

Maybe this is dumb but it's sounds like what happens to a machine if the ball is already in the chute when you fire it up. You fire it up and everything is dead until it cycles through again.
I wonder if you need to look at the switch in the ball track that lets machine know that a ball has been ejected properly?
I have a schematic that I'll sneak a look at if need be.

#5 7 years ago

That circuit should be wired thru the tilt hold relay. check the switches. It could be a loose jones plug. I would check plugs first then switches.

#6 7 years ago

Hi
for Gottlieb ONE-Player pins I only have the schematics 1965 Buckaroo. I have some FOUR-player-schematics - here I show from Surf Champ.

"frb" mentioned the H-Tilt-Hold-Relay - Chum43 can You look-up in Your schematics of "Buccaneer" --- and tell about "Q-Game-Over-Relay", "AX-Reset-Relay","H-Tilt-Hold-Relay" ? Greetings Rolf

Surf-Champ-Work-10 (resized).jpgSurf-Champ-Work-10 (resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

does "ball 1" show up in the backglass? There is a contact on the ball count unit that closes when it steps to ball 1. This energizes the pf. Clean this contact...

#8 7 years ago

Can do... Perhaps Ninja can narrow this down a bit.
You turn game on... It resets and ejects ball one. You put into play but bumpers and flippers are inoperative.
What happens when ball drains? Does it eject and go to ball two? If so does this sequence continue till game over? Do any of the targets or slings etc score at all or is everything dead? If you can let us know this it will be helpful.
Cheers... Hopefully you can be playing for Xmas!

#9 7 years ago

I agree with Pinhead52 - check the operation of the ball count unit, located in the head. The ball count unit position must be at ball 1 to ball 5, otherwise all PF power will be off.

It may be that the ball count unit is mechanically binding and not stepping, or it may be that the switch at the far right end of the ball trough (next to the shooter) is not making good contact. The trough switch is what steps up the ball count unit.

Also, there are switches on the back side of the ball count unit that must close in order for the PF power to come on. One of these switches opens to kill PF power at ball count position 0 (game reset), the the other one opens at ball 6 to kill PF power (game over). If the ball count is properly advancing to ball 1 but you still have no PF power, clean and adjust these switches to be sure they are making good contact.

- TimMe

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

does "ball 1" show up in the backglass? There is a contact on the ball count unit that closes when it steps to ball 1. This energizes the pf. Clean this contact...

Everyone avoids the obvious first step, for some reason.

If the ball is ejecting from the outhole, it's not a fuse. The 25v fuse is good if the ball is ejecting.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from TimMe:

I agree with Pinhead52 - check the operation of the ball count unit, located in the head. The ball count unit position must be at ball 1 to ball 5, otherwise all PF power will be off.
It may be that the ball count unit is mechanically binding and not stepping, or it may be that the switch at the far right end of the ball trough (next to the shooter) is not making good contact. The trough switch is what steps up the ball count unit.
Also, there are switches on the back side of the ball count unit that must close in order for the PF power to come on. One of these switches opens to kill PF power at ball count position 0 (game reset), the the other one opens at ball 6 to kill PF power (game over). If the ball count is properly advancing to ball 1 but you still have no PF power, clean and adjust these switches to be sure they are making good contact.
- TimMe

Thanks for all the help guys. So I think the Ball count unit isn't registering properly as it's not making any contact with anything as seen in one of my pics? As well when I hit the switch next to the ball trough I hear a noise come from the back box but don't see anything moving? I assume the Ball count should progress when this switch is activated? I'm a beginner when it comes to EMs so bare with me.

IMG_8096 (resized).JPGIMG_8096 (resized).JPG

IMG_8097 (resized).JPGIMG_8097 (resized).JPG

IMG_8094 (resized).JPGIMG_8094 (resized).JPG

#12 7 years ago

Ball count unit is still at 0 position. can you plunge the add coil with your finger to make it advance to position 1.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from frb:

Ball count unit is still at 0 position. can you plunge the add coil with your finger to make it advance to position 1.

Does nothing

When I launch a ball and then go to the back of the head, when the ball drains I hear a click come from the Ball counter and the coil fires but that disc thing doesn't move at all.

#14 7 years ago

The hold relay solenoid looks a little over heated?

IMG_8098 (resized).JPGIMG_8098 (resized).JPG

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Does nothing
When I launch a ball and then go to the back of the head, when the ball drains I hear a click come from the Ball counter and the coil fires but that disc thing doesn't move at all.

Then the ball count unit is gummed up, you need to free it up so you can manually advance and reset the unit. The "easy" "non approved" shortcut is a drop or 2 of wd40 on the shaft to get in rotating freely. The approved method is to diassemble and clean it up with alcohol.

also a little steel wool to clean up the rivets on the disk.

And no issue with the hold, they get alot more toasty then that.

#16 7 years ago

I noticed that the game over is still illuminated on the glass when it's spitting a ball into the shooter?

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Then the ball count unit is gummed up, you need to free it up so you can manually advance and reset the unit. The "easy" "non approved" shortcut is a drop or 2 of wd40 on the shaft to get in rotating freely. The approved method is to diassemble and clean it up with alcohol.
also a little steel wool to clean up the rivets on the disk.
And no issue with the hold, they get alot more toasty then that.

When I move this by had it seems to move fairly Freely?

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

So I think the Ball count unit isn't registering properly as it's not making any contact with anything as seen in one of my pics?

You can activate the coil manually, does the stepping part move? It should click once per coil activation. There are 2 coils one for moving the stepper, one for resetting the unit. Some times the rotating part works it self loose, the shaft will turn but the bakelite part will not.
There are 2 small set screws that hold the bakelite part to the shaft. Check the switches on the inside of the unit, clean them. Watch the stepper as it moves and see if it is allowing for the opening and closing of the contact switches. Especially the last position.

From the one photo it looks like the contacts should be cleaned.

#19 7 years ago

Took this lever apart and cleaned it. It seemed sticky but more so from the screw being too tight? After a minor adjustment the game is playing. Only issue now is the Game Over light stays lit up during play?

IMG_8101 (resized).JPGIMG_8101 (resized).JPG

#20 7 years ago

Look at your first pic in post #11. The wire on the rivet solder lug all the way over on the far right (I believe it's blue + yellow) is the wire that controls the game over light. Check to see if this wire is shorting out against the metal frame of the ball count unit. If it is, the game over light will stay on all the time.

- TimMe

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Only issue now is the Game Over light stays lit up during play?

By looking at a schematic for a same year gottlieb, I can only suggest this.

The Game Over light is powered up on the 6th position of the Ball Count Unit. The wire between the light and the ball count unit has a connection to the 00-90 Unit (Match unit). If your match lights are not working then the wiring at the Ball Count unit need to be looked at. If the Match lights are not working then how is the Game Over light getting power? Could the wire for the Game Over lamp touching another source of constant power? like the GI wiring?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-my-gtlb-buccaneer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.