(Topic ID: 16337)

Need help with intermittent problem with "roulette wheel" on Speakeasy

By Trebor

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

We got my wife a Speakeasy machine a few weeks ago. We had it a week when I shorted it out when I accidently dropped the playfied after changing a bulb.

I learned how to test and replace fuses and I did find and replace one bad fuse. The game now works again. This is just background in case it's relevant. (The fix was done today, btw)

The current problem is the "rotator" or "roulette wheel" on the playfield that spins to give bonus scores, a free ball, subtract a ball, etc.

When an event happens that should activate the rotator, it only actually rotates some of the time. My wife played three games and it never rotated once. I then played one game it worked every time it should. We later played doubles and it worked for awhile, then stopped working completely.

Since we got the game it would never activate 100% of the time it should, but it definitely has gotten worse lately.

I haven't been able to find any info on this online as this is an unusual feature.

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

#2 11 years ago

Could be a loose wire. Sorry, but I don't have experience with EMs. Just based off dropping the play field, something may be coming loose.

#3 11 years ago

If it matters, it's a solid state, not an EM. (1982, I believe)

#4 11 years ago

This may be a case of Bally MPU connectors. Since the problems happens sometimes it could definitely bad pins on either the MPU board itself, or in the connector to the MPU. Time to look at some schematics and do some line tracing. Actually, all Bally's from 77-85 suffer this.

Ok, just looked at the schematics and it appears the motor for the roulette wheel is run through a small solenoid expander board. Trace your wiring from the motor to this small board. Disconnect this board, remove it, and inspect the connector pins. I am willing to bet you will find cracked/bad solder joints on the expander board pins. Solder them up and retry.

#5 11 years ago

Thanks for the tips. Not sure what I'm going to do about it yet, as I'm just learning pinball maintenance skills. It may be on the back burner for awhile while I look into researching learning how to solder. I know enough not to attempt to solder on a circuit board without a lot more experience, so I may have to pay for a repair on this issue.

It does have aftermarket circuit boards insalled. I forget the brand off the top of my head.

2 years later
#6 9 years ago

Just bought this game..It is my first SS game. Have several EM games.. Have everything working except the wheel doesnt spin and the back lights do not turn on. All the other lights work. When I check the diagnostics it comes up 04 which is showing closed points. after checking them they are all correct.....

Can some one give me a little direction with this issue.

Pete

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 10.00
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-intermittent-problem-with-rotator-on-speakeasy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.