Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7542 (resized).JPG
IMG_7543 (resized).JPG
IMG_7541 (resized).JPG
IMG_7539 (resized).JPG
IMG_7540 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sunking.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I started a Haunted House restoration thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-resto-plus-multiball-and-speach

I am running the Pascal PI-80 all in one board. Before booting, I checked power, re-pinned connectors, rebuilt the four pop bumper boards, rebuilt flippers and pops, and generally gave the game a good going over.

It booted ok - and most everything seemed ok except for a few adjustments - like getting the right flippers to work by cleaning the U relay - adjusting pop bumper switches, etc.

Then - the upkicker coil from main playfield to the attic started giving Error 2 "No current is flooding thru the coil, although it is energized". I also noticed that the trap door stays open during gameplay (but closes between games).

That's it - those were the only two problems left and everything else was working 100%. So I adjusted the rubbers to keep the ball from going into the upkicker, and played some games. Usually, as you're hitting targets/switches - it knocks off some of the crud and you begin to see improved performance. So far so good - until the coil that kicks the ball from the basement to the main locked on. WTF!!! It was working fine - and for that matter the upkicker was working ok for a while also.

Now the game is unplayable ...and I'm at a loss as to why those coils which were working, are now F'ed up.

I'm frustrated and it's probably time I walk away for a bit before I break something else. My biggest worry is that there is some old funky wiring/repair that is causing backcurrent, and I'm blowing power transistors QSx, (x = given coil number) on my $400 Pascal board.

So I now have three problems - severe enough to keep me from booting the game.

1) The coil that kicks the ball from the basement is locked on.
2) The upkicker coil from main playfield giving Error 2 ("No current is flooding thru the coil, although it is energized").
3) The trap door stays open during gameplay (but closes between games).

I'm open to any suggestions, and would greatly appreciate any help.

-Brad

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from songofsixpence:

You did all of them, including the double-sided one(s)

Yes, and I feel pretty confident about this work.

About your locked coils - I don't have a schematic for HH, but want to know if those are powered by an under-playfield transistor? If those are actually a "controlled light" pre driver on the pascal board. If your under-playfield transistor is locked on, that could be burning your TIPs and your coils.

This could be it - it would explain the behavior. Thanks for the quick reply guys. I'll check schematics later today when I get a chance. ...was too frustrated yesterday to even pull 'em out. Funny how a decent night sleep can get you back on track.

I would say that those connectors you cut off can be repinned. Don't throw them away!

And yeah, I do save those for a rainy day.

#6 5 years ago

It doesn't look like either of these coils are powered by an under-playfield transistor. Notice how the lower playfield upkicker shares ground with flippers and other kicking coils - all which work fine. I did replace both of these coils. The lower playfield upkicker was crispy on first inspection, and I replaced the main playfield upkicker coil when I started to see the Error message on bootup.

Is it possible the problems are from using the wrong coil?

Original Gottlieb A-5194 replaced with A-5195
Original Gottlieb A-21741 replaced with A-1496.

IMG_7539 (resized).JPGIMG_7539 (resized).JPGIMG_7540 (resized).JPGIMG_7540 (resized).JPGIMG_7541 (resized).JPGIMG_7541 (resized).JPGIMG_7542 (resized).JPGIMG_7542 (resized).JPGIMG_7543 (resized).JPGIMG_7543 (resized).JPG
#7 5 years ago

Thanks songofsixpence and Hawk007

Sometimes the problems are right in front of your face. The K relay was closed - just needed to be gapped. Now the basement upkicker to main works perfectly. And I think I may have found a short causing my other problem with coil #2. Tested OK!

I am now running 100% - WooHoo!!

I still plan to replace the remote mounted power transistors, as I suspect this may be the reason my trap door is staying open during gameplay, but closes correctly when the game is over. ...and my bottom pop bumper is intermittent - suspect the transistor or may need to reflow/check connections. So I guess I should say I'm 99.9% - but I'm playing and having a blast!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sunking.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-haunted-house-coils-locking-on?tu=sunking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.