Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

1965 Gottlieb Bank-a-Ball. Game plays fine except the Ball Release coil doesn't always deactivate after points are scored. I can see it trying to deactivate "pulsing" back and forth with the 10 point bell. Sometimes it'll finally hold and release the mechanical gate, but sometimes is just pulses 5 times and then stays activated!

Not sure what to check/clean/adjust.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2 2 years ago

The Ball Release solenoid should stay locked on until the switch in series with its hold switch relay opens. Is that switch on the M relay in-series with the hold switch correctly adjusted?

#3 2 years ago

I think the M relay is the 10 Points relay. Not entirely sure where that is.

I think the first firing of the 10 Points relay should deactivate the Ball Release Coil so it prevents balls cycling back to the loader.

It looks like it's trying to deactivate every time the 10 Points relay fires, but it just pulses back on right away rapidly (5 times for 50 point shot). Every once in a while the Ball Release Coil will hold in the deactivated position and then it's good for the rest of the game.

#4 2 years ago

I cleaned the switches on Relays D and M, but didn't seem to help at all.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

I think the M relay is the 10 Points relay. Not entirely sure where that is.

The schematic has a legend that tells the longer name for every relay.

Quoted from audihere:

I cleaned the switches on Relays D and M, but didn't seem to help at all.

For a switch to work 3 things are necessary:
1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening

#6 2 years ago

Here's the legend pic.

I think the contacts are clean on most all of the switches. I went over them with a #344 Dremel.

I checked the opening and closing of the leaf switches on Relays D and M plus the Ball Release Coil switch stack and they seem pretty good.

Maybe one of them is just marginal and as it's releasing the Ball Release Coil, it re-energizes it? Sometimes it does work as intended.

#7 2 years ago

Don't forget there are switches on the ball release assembly itself too.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Don't forget there are switches on the ball release assembly itself too.

Here's a pic of the leaf switches on the ball release assembly. I think they look OK?

Strangely this morning I cannot get the game to start anymore. When this would happen yesterday I was able to manually actuate the R Relay and lights would come on and then start button would fire up a game. Now the lights come on, but start button will not start a game.

#9 2 years ago

Well, I'll be damned! Zero credits was the boot up issue. Been troubleshooting it so much it ran out.

I adjusted the Ball Release leaf switch stack. I made it so the On Ball Release switch and the other 2 had more tolerance to prevent, what I think might have been happening, the On Ball Release switch re-triggering the coil as it was being deactivated, sort of had a mind of its own.

Seems to be working now. I'll give it a good test when we have some people over today. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-gottlieb-ball-release-coil?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.