IMG_1396 (resized).jpg
IMG_1394 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_1401 (resized).jpg
0Grand-Prix-Work-10 (resized).jpg
0Grand-Prix-Work-09 (resized).jpg
photo 5 (resized).jpeg
0Grand-Prix-Work-08 (resized).jpg
grandprix foto2 (resized).JPG
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

Good evening everyone.

I'm completely new to EM pinballs minus the time I had a Gottlieb Gemini Pinball in the early 80's. I just picked up a nice looking 1976 Williams Grand Prix because I love F1 racing, it just seemed to be great looking game with very good reviews on Pinside, and the price was very reasonable to me. Buying it I knew the flippers and chime box needed to be rebuilt, but I didn't notice the bonus points on either the L/H or R/H side never get added to the score board if you go into either of the side pockets or once it goes down the drain. The lights count down, you can hear and see the motors running under the play field and some noise from the coin door, but that is it. No points added, no bells, etc. Not sure if something came loose during transit or bringing the heavy sucker up the stairs. Any help and points to possible areas to look at would be amazing. I printed off the owners manual and wiring diagram so far but beyond reading stuff on the internet, I'm a total noob to EM.

Thank you,

Jason

#2 7 years ago

Hi Jason..have you lifted up the play field and heard any relays buzzing? It could be possibly that 1 contact could be stuck, or not making a contact to count points..I hope that this makes sense..

#3 7 years ago

I'll have to check after work to see if there is anything in particular. I think the game itself had a minor hum on startup. The flippers sure hum when pressed and are week, will rebuild them hopefully today along with the chime box after work. I asked the guy I bought it from, who only had it a few days, and he thought everything worked. That's why I was wondering if something could have gotten out a whack during the drive home/bringing it up stairs. Owners manual didn't seem to help in isolating what sends the bonus points to the score reel either.

#4 7 years ago

It should be a pinball rule that people new to EMs are not allowed to buy GP. We'd all be rich if we had a dollar for every post from someone who is new to EMs and buys a GP, then has to try and fix it and comes here.

Good luck, dude, that's a really complex one. You dove right into the deep end...

#5 7 years ago

you'll do alright, just go through everything, tighten switch stacks, clean/adjust all the contacts.
look at the step units, make sure they work manually ok, and switches are clean and adjusted.
frightened yet? it'l be ok, lots of knowledge floatin around here. and folks ready to help.
good luck. fun game to play.

#6 7 years ago

Hi
Stevefury made an excellent video about starting an Williams Space Mission - well worth studying as the Grand Prix is similar:

The JPG shows the path to get some thousands of points, greetings Rolf

0Grand-Prix-Work-02 (resized).jpg0Grand-Prix-Work-02 (resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Good luck, dude, that's a really complex one. You dove right into the deep end...

Well I've never been known to be a smart man. But I guess if I can learn this one, any other EM would be a cake walk then. Worst case I hire the local repair shop to come out, I do like the guy, he's been working on games since 1972ish, but just like classic cars, I like to do the work myself, at least up to the best of my abilities. After work I'll start cleaning and watching the videos. Again, I'm optimistic it is something simple, who knows.

Jason

#8 7 years ago

Hi Jason
the "Stevefury video i mentioned": IF (if) You want to learn (everything) about the Start-up Sequence of an "Late Williams EM-Pin" ...
YOUR problem is "when playing" - means: The video is not for to help on Your problem.

Here http://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/emTips.html - some good tips --- nice to read at a time (?)
Here http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/ --- a LOT of stuff to read - for EM pins: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair
Here http://www.pinrepair.com/ --- a LOT of stuff to read - for EM pins: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

Be happy as You have a WELL documented WILLIAMS LATE-EM - the manual cannot write everything (or it would turn out a very thick book).

What did I do - how to start looking-up - narrowing on the problem ?
I read in post-1 "draining (loosing) a ball (enters the Outhole) makes the Bonus-Ladder to be stepped down - BUT NO POINTS are added to the Score-Reels.

I know that the Score-Drums are resetted (stepped forward) with the Help of the Score-Motor and some Reset-Relays. I know that during play: ALL points are given to the Score-Drums THROUGH (pulling) 10-Point-RELAY, 100-Point-RELAY, 1000-Point-RELAY (maybe 10'000-Point-Relay).
So I did look-up the 1000-Point-RELAY in the schematics - I followed the wirings in the schematics - looking out for something with the word "BONUS" - and I found what I show in post-6.

Lets do together what I expect(ed) You to do - http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1072/Williams_1976_Grand_Prix_Manual.pdf - page-12 (ori-10) is about "WHERE in the pin is mounted WHAT (relay or stepper)" - Mech. Panel is the bottom board in the cabinet, Playfield is playfield, Insert is backbox, Cabinet is side-wall or back-wall of cabinet, Front door is coin door.
In the JPG I have marked "Ball-Index-Relay" - it is in the (Mech Panel) Cabinet, the Left-Bonus-Relay is on the Playfield, No-1-Star-Relay is on the Playfield.

The manual shows (starting at page-25 (ori-23) all the relays - TAKE FROM MY JPG the COLOR of the wires - look it up (((do You find Ball-Index-Relay-Switch-D, Left-Bonus-Relay-Switch-1B, No-1-Star-Relay-Switch-E))). Investigate on the relays and the switches, greetings Rolf

#9 7 years ago

OK, after a good once over the relays and other areas as stated by Rolf, no apparent fault noticed, actually very clean inside the cabinet, all placards etc in perfect condition. I restarted the pinball again. Again, no bonus score build to the game. But after manually bouncing the ball around, I hit the AB and CD drop targets, then the left and right side dish areas, the scores worked!!!!! Ok, for no better way than sounding dumb because I don't know the game's rule set, is this actually the correct operation? Dropping either AB or CD allows the credits to be earned in either the two side dish areas or going down the outholes or draining. That would make sense as far as rules to earring those spinner points. If that is the case, so far anyway, the game seems to only need a flipper and chime box rebuild which came in today from Marco and it will be good to go! Still going to log a lot of time though on the videos and reading. Very excited about learning the EM side of pinballs! Plus, I just love the start up sounds of the game as well as the 3 bar chimes!.

Jason

#10 7 years ago

I had your exact issue resolved here. I believe your issue is in the right and left bonus relays. They need adjusted as the switches in each of those that tell the points relays to fire aren't making good contact.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-prix-not-starting-a-game#post-3461383

#11 7 years ago

Looking at the diagram, how do I know what switches should be normally open or normally closed to see if the gap is correct and or if adjustment is needed?

#12 7 years ago

Never mind, I see it in the note on the diagram.

#13 7 years ago

What is or where do you find the gap setting on the switches. I see in the manual it calls out for a specific gap for the coins used, like .040" but not on the normally open switches throughout the cabinet.

Jason

#14 7 years ago

Hi Jason
I believe in the 50 - 50 rule.
On a Normally-Closed switch: The moved blade has "first half of its way contact" and has the "second half of the way NO contact".
On a Normally-Open switch: The moved blade has "first half not (yet) contact" - closes and has the remaing way - the second half: Has contact.
On a Make-and-Brake-Switch: I am happy when it functions.

I may adjust an Normally-Closed switch to 60 - 40 (or maybe to 70 - 30).
I may adjust an Normally-Open switch to 40 - 60 (or maybe 30 - 70).
The keyword is "Self-Cleaning" (of the contacts) when we play the pin and the relays actuate, want to see
here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1965-bowl-a-strike-crazy-at-startup#post-3231326 , greetings Rolf

#15 7 years ago

Hi Jason
do NOT adjust switchblades "just because You are in the mood for adjusting" --- ONLY adjust when You had a problem in the pin - You have found the cause of the problem - and for to fix the problem: You must adjust a "wrong / maladjusted switchblade". Greetings Rolf

#16 7 years ago

Like Rolf said. Only adjust the relay's switches that isnt working properly.

They way I do it is get an understanding from the diagram of what switches should be NO and which ones should be NC

For a switch that is supposed to be NO, i manually activate the relay by using that plastic housing. that shouldn't have to travel far at all in order for the NO switch blades to make contact. Also make sure that all NO switches are making contact at the same time.

For NC switches, just make sure they are closed, and then open with the same amount of travel from the relay plastic housing as the NO switches need to close.

I hope that helps.

#17 7 years ago

Thank you for the great advice! Tonight, I hope, for my first step will be to clean the switches with a jewelers file as I saw on you tube, just 1 or 2 swipes, then see per the wiring diagram what switches related to my issue should be NC. Then see if I can make the NO switches move.

Monday-Wednesday, my days off, will allow more time to work on things for sure. Plus I have to start counting the million bulbs that are out in the back glass and order new LEDs.

Thank you again for the help!

#18 7 years ago

Looking for NO and NC switches on the bonus switches and all seems correct. Something else I just found out, after playing the game, I checked for buzzing noises. Well, every time the Large sound bar is struck, the coil stays energized and the plunger is held up in position. Somewhere something isn't releasing this sound coil. The other two work as they should.

Jason

#19 7 years ago

OK, now I thinking this game just needs TLC and to be played. I adjusted two switches at the bonus relays so all things meet up at the same time and do the 50-50 rule, then played some more. Had the buzzing of the large bell solenoid. Then after looking for where the relay is for the chime should be, looks like per the diagram it should be the 1,000 10,000 switch relay,, never saw it, I played some more. Now the game worked perfectly!!! All points were scored, the bells didn't hang up, just played like a pinball should, except with weak flippers because I haven't rebuilt them, saving that for Monday.

Could it be the issues I'm having is just due to a game that hasn't been played for who knows how long? If that's the case, I'm glad I brought her to my house, because she will get lots of use!

As far as cleaning the metal contacts etc throughout the game, is isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs ok and use the jewelers file on the EOS and relay switches? Or should I spray Deoxit? Or something else? I know I read NOT to use contact cleaner, guess it will melt plastic maybe? Any other suggestions will be very helpful.

Thank you,

Jason

#20 7 years ago

If it's working, don't touch anything in it. Haha

#21 7 years ago

Hi Jason +
an nice example of "reading schematics" and "NON-typical adjustment of an Normally-Closed-Switch".

You know the "Game-Over-Light in the Backbox" - You play a game - play ball after ball and when the last ball is lost: The Pin does step to "Ball after last ball" and so (green stuff): Game-Over-TRIP-Coil is activated - the relay trips - "Game-Over".
Not so often - but may happen - You play a 1-player-game - You play the first ball, make only some 20 to 40 points and You loose the ball - the pin gives You "Ball-2". You are angry and say "I do NOT want to play the remaining balls --- I START a new game". (((The manufacurers NEED the pin in state "Game-Over" to start a new game))).
The "orange stuff" happens: You press the Replay-Button - this makes the Coin-Relay pull, the Ball-Count-Unit is in "Position-Ball-2 equals Position-1" - therefore NOT in Position-ZERO - so switch is closed and the Game-Over-TRIP-Coil is activated (THEN comes the Start-up Procedure for starting the new game).

Now the tricky "reading schematics" - the "red stuff". On top of the snippet we see: "Coil-on-Lock-Relay is ALWAYS feeded with electricity --- what is my "red ? marked" Switch on Lock-Relay good for ? How does this "red wiring" works ?

The schematics is shown "a 1-player-game has been started, ball is in the shooter alley ready to be launched - AND NOW: THE 110VAC-POWER IS CUT (toggled-off or line cord unplugged)".
We see the schematics - NO electricity - Lock-Relay (and others) NOT pulling, "red ? switch" therefore is closed. We toggle-on the pin - the Lock-Relay starts pulling, Yes --- BUT this switch is adjusted "(60-40 much better is 70-30) 80-20 (90-10)" - the switch opens LATE - through this switch (80-20 opening LATE) the Game-Over-Relay-TRIP-Coil also gets current and the relay TRIPS.

So almost every switch in the pin can be adjusted "50-50" --- BUT "Switch on Lock-Relay" must be adjusted somewhere (60-40, 70-30) 80-20 (90-10). Greetings Rolf

0Grand-Prix-Work-04 (resized).jpg0Grand-Prix-Work-04 (resized).jpg

#22 7 years ago

Hey Jason I'm working on a Grand Prix now too. Since I got it the left side bonus count never worked, I could roll up the bonus to 50k but when it came to get the points I'd get 5k only. Then I noticed the right side was counting down and giving the bonus scores as they was suppose to. Further visual inspection revealed a missing spring. I went to my spring stash found a suitable replacement, installed and it now works woo hoo! So I have learned a few things since cracking open my first machine,
1 - messing with switches can make it worse and you have no idea what you did<sigh>, tighten the switch stack before you do anything complicated then get complicated
2 - there is more than switches, there are springs and clips, they both contain energy, when they are not attached properly, that energy is released they both enter the fifth dimension never to be seen again...<sigh>
3- Finding a specific wire colour on a 40 year old pinball is like herding cats. They have no discipline and they like hiding.
4- The rewards of solving the problem are awesomely addicting, the frustration of not solving the problem can build but... it's a hobby right, relax enjoy, walk away and come back later.

I've had my game for awhile, by the standards I'm reading in pinside it's condition is prolly 'lower than pondscum' and should have been scrapped, it never worked right, the person who had it before me used fat blue elastic bands for the rubber, but, I've got nowhere to go but up so I too am attempting the impossible. And loving it!

DSCF0113 (resized).JPGDSCF0113 (resized).JPG

DSCF0132 (resized).JPGDSCF0132 (resized).JPG

DSCF0130 (resized).JPGDSCF0130 (resized).JPG

DSCF0133 (resized).JPGDSCF0133 (resized).JPG

#23 7 years ago

Quick question, to get the Number Match to work, is there an on and off switch somewhere, back box maybe? Mine doesn't seem to be working, yet looking at the wiring diagram, I see No. Match Adj.Jack On, Off. Does anyone have a picture of this to see what this looks like or where it is to seem if it is just turned off in my game?

#24 7 years ago

willbeEM, you have a project for sure, reminds me of a 1979 Mini I rebuilt. But time and patience prevailed and got it going again. Now for this pinball. Here is a pick of it so far with LEDs installed. So far, I'd say it works 92%. Only bonus issue with the left spinner, and the occasional not wanting to go from 3rd player to 4th, the more I play it though, the better it gets. Any idea where that relay lives? Not seeing it labeled in the cabinet or playfield.

grandprix (resized).jpggrandprix (resized).jpg

#25 7 years ago

The part of the machine that changes from player 1 then 2 thru 4, is that called the player unit stepup? And where is it located. Per the wiring diagram, it says its on the E-6 on the sheet, but not on the game itself. Is there somewhere I'm missing that tells where the items are on the print to there location in the machine? I was wondering if it needed cleaning since the game sometimes doesn't switch from player 3 to 4, stays on 3 until some unspecified moment and then the game goes to player 4.

#26 7 years ago

Williams 4 player games typically have the following:

Coin Unit Stepper is located on the bottom board in the body of the game. It's basic function is to control the number of players. Home position is a one player game.

Ball Count Unit is located on the bottom board in the body of the game. It counts the balls..home position is ball one.

Player Unit Stepper is in the head of the game. It routes the scoring and lamps to the player reels. Home position is for player one.

If two people are playing a 4 player machine, the Coin Unit Stepper will remain in the 2nd position for the entire game. The Player Unit will alternate between the home and 2nd position as the ball count increments.

Hope this helps.

#27 7 years ago

Hi Jason +
I was writing my text NOT knowing about "bonzo71, post-26".

Hi Jason
we are lucky - the Grand Prix is a rather modern pin - a good schematics and a very good manual --- both is shown in ipdb: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1072
Look at the manual - page-5 (ori-3): The Adj-Jack for Number-Match is in the Backbox.

Post-25 "Where are the relays ???" --- Look at the ipdb-manual at page-12 (ori-10): "Mech. Panel" is bottom board in the cabinet, "Playfield" is playfield, "Insert" is Backbox, "Cabinet" is sidewall or backwall of cabinet, "Front Door" is front door.

"Problem with player-3 / player-4" --- question - "AAA": When Player-3 looses the ball - THEN sometimes the pin steps to Player-4 - sometimes it does not step to Player-4. "BBB": When Player-3 is happily playing - ALL of a sudden (while playing): pin steps to Player-4.
Do You have "AAA" or do You have "BBB", greetings Rolf

#28 7 years ago

Yes, thank you very much. I'd guess my issue is with the player unit stepper in the head of the game then. Since if playing a 4 player game, it sometimes never goes to the 4th player. Then like magic, it switches to 4th player, sometimes while adding a bonus score during play. I think I was on player 3 for 4 balls before it switched to the 4th player. Then the next 4 player game I tried, it worked like a champ. That's why I was thinking maybe minor corrosion on the stepper unit. Plus, do you lube anything on the stepper unit? Seems like most people don't lube anything on pinballs, and I'm new to the EM world. I saw a guy on YouTube put automatic transmission on one. I bought super lube from Marco, would this be used on the contacts?

Thank you,
Jason

#29 7 years ago

My issue is AAA Rolf.
Ball would drain, and the game would stay on player 3 for several balls and then magically switch to player 4 sometimes during bonus counts like from the side saucer or something. Then after a few games like this, it worked normally at least for once.

#30 7 years ago

Hi Jason
You write "having AAA" - BUT the description "sometimes during bonus count / side saucer" makes me think of "BBB". Please explain once more.
Trouble-shooting having "AAA" is rather simple, trouble-shooting having (weird, rare) BBB is looking on other places (as when we would have AAA).
In Switzerland it is 20 minutes to midnight - I must go to sleep - till tomorrow, greetings Rolf

#31 7 years ago

If you manually advance the player unit by pushing the plunger into the coil, does it advance to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th player positions?

#32 7 years ago

Have you seen this video about steppers? The player unit is a total reset stepper as described starting at 1:58. In the total reset stepper section of the video he shows a Williams unit first that is sticky and not working well and then a Bally that is functioning properly.

#33 7 years ago

I'll try to check out the player stepper in the head unit tonight. Been busy like most with the holidays and mandatory OT at work.

Rolf, the game just sometimes doesn't advance to the 4th player if playing a four player game. It would only switch to the 4th player AFTER one of balls for player 3 would drain. Never during a "normal" turn. Only after the ball went down 2 or 3 times. But then sometimes it works perfectly.

Jason

#34 7 years ago

Hi Jason
I agree with bonzo71 (post-32) - probably a mechanical problem.
ONLY LOOK at the JPG: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-toledo-start-up-issues#post-3505764 --- my Replay-Unit has a spring wound around the axis - my "curved green lines" - the one on the right (going up) can be un-hooked and then beeing tightened or loosened one turn or several turns.
Want to try: Unhook and LOOSEN one turn and then hook-on again. Then try the pin.
May want to LOOSEN one more turn ? May want to loosen one more turn ?
WRITE DOWN how many turns You have loosened - so You can return to original state (tightening again).

IF (if) the mentioned above does NOT help: See the JPG in here --- the NON-pleasing word You use is "sometimes" - such problems (word: sometimes) are hard to troubleshoot.
I still have the theory "mechanical problem" --- to prove my theory "right" or prove it "wrong": SteveFury shows his testlight: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reading-gottlieb-schematics#post-2634425 --- mounting as shown in my JPG - looooong wires, taking the wires and the testlight through the open coin-door into the open - lay the testlight on the apron AND PLAY MANY GAMES:
EVERY TIME the fault shows up (no stepping) - AAA:Testlight did light-up, BBB:Testlight did NOT light-up.
You have AAA: It is a mechanical problem.
You have BBB: NON-pleasing, hard to find problem in the wiring.

So I would FIRST try the "loosen the spring around the axis" - I hope for "Luck" as the problem (hopefully) dissapears, greetings Rolf

P.S. - JPG, marked "green": The switches do operate now and then when playing a ball, marked "red": THIS switch beeing TRUELY OPEN (when playing a ball) hinders "strange, unwanted stepping".

0Grand-Prix-Work-06 (resized).jpg0Grand-Prix-Work-06 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#35 7 years ago

Hello All,
I am also start working on my new toy the Grand Prix. Just bought the pin and did open the backbox and the first thing i did see is the yellow wire hanging around and i assume it should be attached somewhere.
I am studying at the moment on a course for reading schematics but it is still not clear for me, as mechanical engineer , electric schematics is something to get used to. The course has been started because of a problem with blowing fuses in my Student Prince.

I have attached a pricture of the loose yellow wire, does somebody know were it should be connected to.

Thanks, Hans

grandprix foto1 (resized).JPGgrandprix foto1 (resized).JPG

#36 7 years ago

I'll take a picture of mine tonight and post it on here for you to see, hope it will help.

Jason

#37 7 years ago

Here is a picture of my backbone on Grand Prix. Hope it helps. If you need a more specific pic, just let me know.

Jason

IMG_1359 (resized).jpgIMG_1359 (resized).jpg

#38 7 years ago

It looks like your wires need to attach to the switch above the solenoid #2 outboard of the credit counter.

Jason

IMG_1361 (resized).jpgIMG_1361 (resized).jpg

IMG_1363 (resized).jpgIMG_1363 (resized).jpg

#39 7 years ago

Hello Jason,

Thank you very much for the photo's this is exact what i was looking for. The 3rd picture makes it all clear, it needs at the switch.
I will solder the wire to the switch tonight and see what the machine will do. Just installed new rubbers last night so put the power on.

Thanks again for the help.

Hans

#40 7 years ago

Hello Jason,
The photo,s did help perfectly and it solved a view issues in the machine but unfortantly not everything. The previous owner did removed some connections or short a view things. I did found out at the jet bumpers some weird wiring what had been solved but now at the left bonus unit i find new things. I did attached a photo of the thing but my question is will you help me again with a few pictures from the bonus unit so I can what it should look like. Thanks Hans

IMG_0222 (resized).JPGIMG_0222 (resized).JPG

#41 7 years ago

No worries Han, when I get home after work I'll take some more pic of this area as requested.

Jason

#42 7 years ago

Here are a few photos Han as requested, I'm not sure what you need in particular. Just let me know if you need others.

Jason

IMG_1367 (resized).jpgIMG_1367 (resized).jpg

IMG_1364 (resized).jpgIMG_1364 (resized).jpg

IMG_1365 (resized).jpgIMG_1365 (resized).jpg

#43 7 years ago

Hello Jason,
This is exactly what in needed. Thank you very much, this will help a lot. I will work on the unit today and that should be the last item to get the machine running smoothly again.
Keep you up dated on the proces. Thanks again for the support.

Hans

#44 7 years ago

Good luck on the repairs Hans. Glad to help!

Jason

#45 7 years ago

Hello Jason,
The photo's did help very good and the unit is running smoothly, but as mentioned by others on previous comments, the Grand Prix is a difficult machine.
The restauration is going well but everytime something new looks to appear.

I did not noticed it earlier but probably the problem was already there, the 10 point drum is counting but the 1 point and the 100 , 1000 and 10000 points not ( this is the player 1 game modus , i did not check in the player 2,3 and 4 ). You can understand the coming question, does you or somebody know what cause this problem or where i can found it inside the machine.

Thanks for all the help

Hans

#46 7 years ago

I'll have to check the wiring diagram. Have you downloaded them yet as well as the manual from http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1072 ? Rolf, who responded earlier to help me may know the reason right away. I can tell you that there is no point change for the 1 point drum. It is a fake that just sits there at 0.

#47 7 years ago

Hans,
Looking at the owner's manual on page 10, all of the relays for the scoring 10, 100, 1000, and 10000 are in the backbox, or as the manual calls it, the insert. This can at least get you a starting point to see if there is anything obvious like a broken wire. Check the wiring diagram and see what is common to them since all but the 10 point relay is working.

#48 7 years ago

Also look at the player unit disc, page 16 in the manual, since this dictates what points relay is firing. You maybe missing a rivet, or maybe the fingers on the arms are just not touching, or there may be corrosion that just needs to be cleaned off to make your game work great. Most of my games issues were resolved by cleaning the contacts on the stepper units and switches and my game now works great.

#49 7 years ago

Jason,

Thank for the answer, i did indeed downloaded the diagram ( but still i am learning how to read these diagrams ) and have found the relay's in the back box. I did a good inspection if there was no miss alignment or wrong switch set up but did not found anything so this should be oke, and did no adjustment on this as i did read , if it is not broken do not repair it.

I did not check the player unit disc, i will do this tonight after work.

What also happend is that the machine starts up for a first time at the day and looks like to work and resets but when i do this for a second time then the relays as mentioned in the back box keeps firing all the time and i do need to switch off the pin to let it stop. When i wait for some time and put the pin on again sometimes it resets and looks oke but sometimes the machine starts firing the metioned relays over and over again.

I think the multi player disc could be a serious suspect in this. Could this unit then also be the cause of the continous firing of the relays.

To be continued

Hans

#50 7 years ago

Did check the player unit tonight and found some loose connections, see the photo attached, solder it on.
Did also some checking if the player unit was adjusted well and found only the loose connections.

I did put the machine on again and found out that the 3 relays in the back ( see photo ) who are not running pulled in and the one who is turning was not pulled in.
The second from the left is the one who is running and not pulled in.

I am a bit lost to be honest and need to study the schematics i am afraid.

Is there also a possibilty that the disc is wrong connected at the unit so the pins are wrong at the riffets

Hans

photo 1 (resized).jpegphoto 1 (resized).jpeg
photo 2 (resized).jpegphoto 2 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-bonus-point-on-my-grand-prix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.