• Latest reply 3 years ago by MikeO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mini Zag 100 point relay (resized).jpg
Mini Zag 100 200 point lights (resized).jpg
Annotated Bally_1968_MiniZag_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MikeO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

A customer's MiniZag has developed some issues after I shopped the game out. It was playing fine for a week or more and at the customer's home for a couple of weeks after I delivered it.

At that time the power wire for the lower playfield lights came loose and the lower playfield lights went out. Easy enough fix except someone else got their hands in the game before I was able to return to fix it. In that time they reseated all of the connectors on the game thinking that was the issue.

When I was able to get in front of the game I found the loose power wire which fixed the lower playfield lights issue. What I also found was the AAB relay plug was plugged in backwards and offset one pin. It wouldn't have plugged in had they lined up all ten pins.

I reseated the AAB relay connecter correctly but found the game did not play properly. This may make more sense for those that are familiar with this game.

The top bumper switches that advance the center top rollover lane buttons to 100 points each are not working right. It takes both of them to be lit(200) for only the bottom rollover to score the 100 points. The upper rollover is basically dead and scores nothing in either mode.

The TV's along the Zagger lane do not light which means the Zagger lane does not shoot the ball and earn more advance points for the Groovy feature.

What I have also found is the TV lights will illuminate/advance correctly if the playfield is raised and the captive Zagger lane ball is not sitting on the lower Zagger lane rollover button. If the playfield is returned to level the ball finding its way back to the bottom Zagger lane button clears the TV's that have been lit on ths Zagger lane without scoring any points or Groovy advances like it suppose to do. Also, because none of the TVs illuminate the Zagger lane does not shoot the ball when the playfield ball goes in either of the Way Out Kickout Holes.

When I got back to the game I also found one winding of the Feature relay open. I ordered and installed a new Feature relay coil hoping this was the culprit to the game's problems but no such luck. The Feature relay locks on like is supposed to now but the Zagger lane and the top rollover lane features are still not working properly.

I am going to attempt to attached an annotated copy of the game schematic to highlight where some of the problem features reside on the schematic.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Annotated Bally_1968_MiniZag_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdfAnnotated Bally_1968_MiniZag_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf
#3 3 years ago

Thank you for looking at this, Mark.

Quoted from MarkG:

Wow. It's like a whole other language...

You're telling me. Honestly, I feel lucky that the game played as designed once I got through everything. And it was solid.

Quoted from MarkG:

The left and right top rebounds should fire their respective Left and Right Rebound relays. The relays should hold until 1 point is scored, presumably somewhere lower on the playfield. Are those relays behaving as expected?

I assume so as the 100 lamp illuminates when you hit the first rebound and the 200 lamp illuminates when you hit the second rebound. Order does not matter. The game is not in front of me to test. My recollection is that, yes, the lamps darken when scoring occurs. I will ask the owner to confirm this.

Quoted from MarkG:

The top center lane rollover should fire the Top Center Lane relay, which should in turn fire the Feature relay. The Top Center Lane relay will only stay on as long as the top center lane switch is closed, or until the Feature relay fires, whichever is later. But while it is active it should also add 100 points (not shown here) if either of the Rebound relays is active:

My recollection is the Feature relay engages when a Rebound engages. Right now the Top Center Rollover does not score whether 100 or 200 is lit. Are you saying the Feature relay should engage when scoring occurs through the Top Center Rollover?

Quoted from MarkG:

The position of the Zagger Unit stepper determines which if any TVs are lit. Do they light if you manually advance the stepper? Does the Zagger stepper advance if you manually activate the Orange Mushroom Bumper relay?

This is the most confusing condition. When an orange mushroom bumper is hit it advances the Groovy stepper/lights. And when it spells Groovy completely lites/indexes a Spot on the backglass and resets Groovy. If the ball is sitting on the switch at the bottom of the Zagger lane none of the TVs lite(where they are supposed to lite). If the ball is not sitting on the switch at the bottom of the Zagger lane the the Zagger stepper advances and the TVs will lite. Once the ball is placed on the bottom Zagger lane switch the Zagger stepper resets to no TVs and scores no points.

The Zagger lane is the fun part of this game. It's basically on playfield bonus that you can earn by building up TVs and hitting the Way Out holes to redeem them.

2 weeks later
#5 3 years ago

Since the game is not convenient to me I called some very experienced help that does house calls. He agreed, it is a very complicated circuit.

The upper rollover switch was an issue I created. I had found the Feature relay coil open and non functional. The upper rollover would put the game in a non playable mode. So while I was sourcing a replacement coil I forgot I had placed a piece of electrical tape across the upper rollover switch so he could at least play the game, albeit it lame game play without some of the primary features working. Rookie move on my part.

In the end he found two issues - the hold relay had a normally open that was staying closed - and the home switch for the Zagger unit was out of adjustment. It took him over two hours to find.

Thanks for your guidance.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MikeO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-bally-minizag?tu=MikeO and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.